The card game thread

=BK=

I saw some posts about Magic the other day and I've been playing old GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games for the past couple days so I figured this could serve a purpose.

So yeah, anyone play any card games?

I play enough Magic to where aside of talking about the standard meta, I would probably replace Plubby as the go to guy about the game now adays. Too many rules are drilled into my brain and some decent competitive decks made IRL as well as online so I know too much shit on it all

I played YuGiOh and tried to get into Pokemon and Star Wars TCGs but could never find people to play with on the latter two.

I did manage to build a competitively strong (for the time, this was back in the early days) deck for Pokemon that revolved around Blastoise, Machoke and (I think) Omastar.

Also tried Magic but it all seemed just too convoluted for me to keep track of.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

I loved YGO but the amount of stupid shit they've thrown in there now has made the game way too difficult to get involved with. Tried to get in to Magic a little while ago but didn't really do anything for me.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Pokemon TCG and, relatively speaking, it still seems the simplest to just go in to and they've not fucked around with the meta too much.

Yeah, I'm lost as hell looking at a post-2005 YuGiOh game. That's why I play the GBA games rather than the online things that let you have any card and play with real people. I think I could still do well in a modern Pokemon card game though. It doesn't look like it's changed much.

Magic has always seemed too complicated to me.

Magic is my game by far. I'm probably the most knowledgeable now adays on here about it. Need to find somewhere to take my L1 judge test as I know I can pass it easily enough. I mainly stick to eternal formats so rotation doesn't drain my wallet when cards go out. Agree with @R.W. that commander or EDH whichever you prefer to call it is the funnest eternal format you could probably play if you don't find try hards in your groups that ruin it for you.

If you have any questions about the rules I can always try to answer them unless it deals with banding and then you are on your own as I don't understand that shit at all.

Playing GBA YuGiOh and the AI just made the dumbest move. It had Dark Magician out and had already destroyed a monster with it. I had nothing over 1700 in attack and 2000 in defence on the field. It could have wrecked me unless I drew a good trap or magic card but instead it plays Cannon Soldier and immediately sacrifices Dark Magician to do 500 to my life points and put itself back at the disadvantage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2017 at 04:46, =BK= said:

Playing GBA YuGiOh and the AI just made the dumbest move. It had Dark Magician out and had already destroyed a monster with it. I had nothing over 1700 in attack and 2000 in defence on the field. It could have wrecked me unless I drew a good trap or magic card but instead it plays Cannon Soldier and immediately sacrifices Dark Magician to do 500 to my life points and put itself back at the disadvantage.

I always found the AI had two extremes on the Yugioh games, they're either mind numbingly useless or go all out with the 'heart of the cards' bullshit.