BoJack Horseman

livid

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Episode 11 was brilliant.

I managed to breeze through it all in a day. I kinda thought it got a bit bogged down in the whole Gubernatorial race plot-line but everything else was pretty good to great.

This show is such a roller coaster of emotions. I didn't care much for Todd this season until his big zany business venture in the tail end, but everything else was on point.

Diane's story particularly always tears me in different directions. At the start of the season I wanted her and Bojack to become an item, as her relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter has always felt really weird. Then at the midseason point when they're alone together, I was afraid I was going to get what I wanted, and was urging her to stay with Mr. PB. And then by the end of the season, I once again didn't know what I wanted.

There's one Mr. PB/Diane story element that I found both hilarious and uncomfortable.

I get what they were going for with Diane screaming out puns during sex like "FRACK ME MR. PEANUTBUTTER" but that felt gross.

What I did find hilarious was they have intercourse missionary style rather than doggy style. Surely because of Diane's feministic integrity.

Edited by I Don't Mind

Spoiler

As nice as the ending was, I didn't realise there were only 12 episodes, so I was waiting for the final kick in the teeth the show usually gives and it just wasn't there. Which is good in a way, I guess? It's nice they gave Bojack a somewhat happy ending to the series for a change but I'm so done with Diane and Mr Peanutbutter, their relationship has been my least favourite part of the show for a while and I'm really hoping they end it early next season.

Unsurprisingly I ran through this season in two sittings. Loved it of course. One of the things I love most about the show is that it's willing to take some big swings and this season was no different. Episodes 6 and 11 especially seemed like interesting structure choices. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through it slowly, mostly because I really try to make BoJack last - it's a real favourite on mine and I don't wanna get through too quickly, and Episode 6 is one of those that really cements the show's genius for me. It's a devastating episode, a personal look into a character's psyche that is near enough impossible to be achieve in other films and shows, and it still finds new ways to explore BoJack's psychological scars. In the same episode they have a great throwaway gag where a bird is dressed like Todd, which again, is a reminder of how well this show balances drama and humour and it still surprises me how well they pull that off. 

• 11 months later...

Now that the next run of episodes is coming this week, I thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts.

I put off watching this show for a long time. I'd heard good things, but all the trailers made it look like base-level rubbish hiding behind a gimmick. "HAHA HE'S A DRUNK ACTOR OH AND ALSO HE'S A HORSE HAHA."

I wasn't completely convinced during the first few episodes, but it definitely seemed to have more to it than any of the preview material let on. Now caught up fully, I'm absolutely on board. This series is as good a comedy-drama as I've ever seen. Truly, some of the episodes have straddled between silly humour and gut-punching lows without ever feeling unnatural.

What I also appreciate is that, through all the tragedy and self-destruction of Bojack's life, there are occasional victories. I'm no expert on The Walking Dead, but I know that common criticism is laid on it because it's a constant stream of loss. Eventually, it's hard to remain invested because you realise everything will just get worse and worse. In Bojack's case, he'll have a brief run of success before relapsing and falling back down, but there's always a strand of progress that's been garnered throughout the journey. He's undoubtedly a highly flawed character who does more bad than good, but it's the moments of heart, the times he finds a glimmer of hope, that maintain a relatable balance between a struggle and utter, unrelenting misery.

Depression, addiction and all the other demons he battles with are matters of tug-of-war, and anyone who's encountered them will know that it's a long path of peaks and troughs to overcome them. I like the fact that a programme, and a comedy at that, can represent this up-down dynamic.