Random sports question thread

MDK

Not just for football but lets try and keep golf out of it.

I'll start

Why has the FIFA World Cup Club final only ever been hosted in 4 different countries? And almost always in Japan? Is there a reason for it?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MDK said:

Why has the FIFA World Cup Club final only ever been hosted in 4 different countries? And almost always in Japan? Is there a reason for it?

I suspect that the Japan thing probably has something to do with how the FIFA Club World Cup absorbed the former Intercontinental Cup when it was first done 'properly' in 2005. The Intercontinental Cup had been sponsored (and effectively owned) by Toyota since 1981 and, as part of the deal, its match was contractually obligated to be held in Japan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meacon said:

:angry:

Good start. You didn't even mention it!

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

I suspect that the Japan thing probably has something to do with how the FIFA Club World Cup absorbed the former Intercontinental Cup when it was first done 'properly' in 2005. The Intercontinental Cup had been sponsored by Toyota since 1981 and, as part of the deal, its match was contractually obligated to be held in Japan.

Makes sense.

But then what about UAE and Morocco? 

• Like 2

Other than someone in FIFA essentially saying "no, seriously guys, you can't just hold this in the same country forever", I dunno.

I mean, given FIFA's involvement, I'm sure we can all guess why they went with the UAE... :shifty: 

Just had a glance at the wiki page for the first CWC Final held in Morocco:

There were four countries bidding to host the 2013 and 2014 tournaments (same host for both tournaments):[4]

In October 2011, FIFA said that Iran, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates all withdrew their bids, leaving Morocco as the only bidder.

Yeah, FIFA. That's not suspicious at all. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Other than someone in FIFA essentially saying "no, seriously guys, you can't just hold this in the same country forever", I dunno.

I mean, given FIFA's involvement, I'm sure we can all guess why they went with the UAE... :shifty: 

Still... Morocco? I have no problem with Morocco, lovely place, but seems a bit out of place.

Ah, right, classic FIFA.

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

Just had a glance at the wiki page for the first CWC Final held in Morocco:

Yeah, FIFA. That's not suspicious at all. :lol: 

Iran?! Why wasn't North Korea on the list?

Edited by MDK

Are NBA players allowed to veto trades. If not, why not? Having to potentially uproot your family from one coast to another with basically zero notice seems terribly unfair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazz said:

Are NBA players allowed to veto trades. If not, why not? Having to potentially uproot your family from one coast to another with basically zero notice seems terribly unfair.

If you have a contract clause that says you can, then yes. Otherwise no. And generally trade clauses are exclusive to the top players in the league. So if you're anything but a superstar you're pretty much boned.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

Wait, you have no choice in the matter? That is crazy.

Is that the same for the other American sports with trades? 

Yeah, across the board. NFL, MLB, NHL, and I think MLS all operate in the same way.

5 minutes ago, Gazz said:

That just seems horribly unfair, especially to players with families and kids in education.

Also, I believe that most of the time families don't move with the players and the players spend season time away with their team. At least that's the impression I've got from bits I've come across.

8 minutes ago, MDK said:

Wait, you have no choice in the matter? That is crazy.

Is that the same for the other American sports with trades? 

Yeah, like Twist said, a high end star can negotiate a no trade clause. It doesn't mean they will refuse every trade but will basically give them the power to only allow a trade to a preferred city/contender. 

Sorta like a wrestler having creative control.

7 minutes ago, VerBlood Drive said:

Yeah, like Twist said, a high end star can negotiate a no trade clause. It doesn't mean they will refuse every trade but will basically give them the power to only allow a trade to a preferred city/contender. 

Sorta like a wrestler having creative control.

That really is mad.