Favorite Youtube Channels

Lint

I don't know if we actually have a thread to discuss this, but I couldn't find one on the front of this section, so if we do its not popular..

Basically, what are some of ya'lls favorite Youtube channels?

One of mine is Jelle's Marble Runs

First time I watched one of his videos I thought "Well this is fucking stupid..." then about an hour later I was actively cheering on a certain marble.  He just got done with his annual "Marbleympics" series a few days ago

Another is Coyote Peterson...NSFW warning, there is a lot of blood in the "lead up" to this

• Like 2

Night Mind. He explains Alternate Reality Games, weird video projects, web series and other internet oddities. All his videos are well researched and professional. My favorite videos are the ones explaining Marble Hornets but his Poppy one is a better starting point.

Literally every YouTube Channel I'm subscribed to is about Film/Media/Cultural theory or video and filmmaking tech stuff. Expect a lot of Lindsay Ellis, hbomberguy, ContraPoints, Folding Ideas, Renegade Cut.

And Movies With Mikey.

The Dom: He reviews book adaptations. Mostly movies. He does an amazing job at it. He did a great series of reviews on the Harry Potter movies and is now starting to review Game Of Thrones. He doesn't judge the movie's quality as a movie (although he briefly shares his general feelings about the movie) but as an adaptation.

History Buffs: He reviews historical movies and occasionally TV shows and checks how true to history they actually are. The length of his reviews can be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on the film. But they are very informative.

The Gaming Historian: As his name suggests his videos deal with the history of video games and are very informative. He has been around for a while.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

And here some former and current Channel Awesome/ThatGuyWithTheGlasses producers:

Lindsay Ellis: The artist formerly know as "Noatalgia Chick". Back in the day she would review all the movies marketed at girls because the Nostalgia Critic himself didn't watch them growing up. She has since left Channel Awesome and abandoned the Nostalgia Chick character. Nowadays she does interesting videos about Film Theory. She also used to do a series called "Loose Canon" in which she took a look at the depiction of certain characters in the movies and TV throughout history.

Kyle Kallgren/Brows Held High: A guy that mostly talks about art house movies, Shakespeare adaptations and film theory. Very informative stuff. He introduced me to some movies that I never would have checked out on my own.

Linkara: He is the resident comic book reviewer on Channel Awesome. He has been there almost from the beginning and probably is the producer who has been around for the longest time that isn't Doug Walker himself. He introduced me to a lot of comic book history that I never would have found out about myself since I don't read comic books. He also has a cool series of videos in which he analyzes all the seasons of the Power Ranger of all things. Seems to be a cool dude in general.

Suede (formerly know as That Dude in the Suede): He was also one of those guys that has been around since the beginning of Channel Awesome. He took a long break from reviewing but has since returned. He mostly talks about anime-related stuff. Currently he is reviewing every episode of the early Pokemon seasons.

And something random:

Life Of Boris: A guy from Eastern Europe that makes humorous videos about Gopnik culture. Those videos can be cooking videos, vlogs of trips to other Eastern European countries and even gaming videos. He is a very funy guy.

Extra Credits: A group of people (some from within the gaming industry) who make interesting and informative videos about Game Theory. They also have a series called "Extra History" in which they talk about historical events.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

Nerdwriter - Video essays on various forms of media, music, TV, films, books, pop culture.

Lessons From the Screenplay

Every Frame a Painting

Cinefix - Just their top 10 lists, because they're done in a much more thoughtful way than most other channels that do similar things.

• Like 2

Folding Ideas is another great channel for film theory. Coming from that same sphere that brought you Lindsay Ellis and Kyle Kallgren.

As does Leon Thomas of Renegade Cut. I know Leon. He's good people. I used to be on a site with him and I was in a video of his many years ago. (Coincidentally Dan Olson was also in that video).

I'll point to one of the smaller ones (though one of his videos did kinda blow up and hit 1m views) I follow, TheRealJims, who does mostly Simpsons stuff with a small sideline in reviewing the different Pixar movies. #CONTENT falls into either the shorter 60 second reviews as above (sometimes with a longer follow up video sharing more thoughts on it), comparing two episodes with similar stories/themes etc or exploring different 'mysteries' within the shows universe such as which state is Springfield in, whatever happened to Marge's dad (before the show actually revealed the truth on that) or alternate theories on who shot Mr Burns.

And it's all set to a delightful remix of Sagat's theme from SFII.

Wrestling With Wregret: You all probably know this one already but I think it is worth a mention. Wrestling With Wregret is a show hosted by manager/occasional wrestler Brian Zane. It is like most review shows but instead of talking about movies, music or video games Zane talks about bad Wrestling. In his most recent episode he deals with the relatively obscure American Wrestling Federation (a guilty pleasure of mine). He also has a series called "Kayfabe Kitchen" in which he tries recipes from those old cook books the WWF put out during the Attitude Era, weekly reviews of old PPVs, weekly recaps of RAW and SmackDown titled "Who WAR it Better" as well as weekly NXT recaps. He also does occasional live streams of wrestling games (currently he does the story mode of "Day Of Reckoning 2") and he used to do unboxing videos of wrestling loot boxes.

Larry Bundy Jr. and Daniel Ibbertson (I group them together because Bundy Jr. often hosts videos of Ibbertson on his channel): 2 British guys that talk about video game history often from a British point of view. Bundy Jr. also appeared on British TV and I think he is still part of Channel Awesome as well. Bundy is mostly know for his series "Games That Yanks can't wank" that deals with games that were never released in the US but were released in the UK.

Jim Sterling: If you are into gaming you probably know him. He has a weekly show called "The Jimquisition" in which he talks about all the bullshit and controversy in the gaming industry. It is very entertaining although the personality he created for these videos can be a bit abrasive at first. He also has a video series called "Jimpressions" in which he plays bad games on Steam. In addition to that he also posts text reviews on his own website.

• Like 2

I'll avoid some of the obvious ones and those already mentioned.

331Erock & Frog Leap Studios: these guys basically do the same thing, metal covers of songs

A+Start/Son of a Glitch: a channel that highlights glitches in games and also has a series that looks at the evolution of a character's graphical development.

Accursed Farms: mostly know for the Freeman's Mind series (that has now finished and moved onto Half-Life 2), he also reviews old PC games that are mostly adandonware.

Ashens: likley the most known of these, his content tends to boil down to reviewing crap from Poundland, eating old foods, opening mystery boxes and reviewing odd pieces of tech.

Censored Gaming: pretty much does what it says on the tin, they mostly look at censorship changes between eastern and western releases.

DynamiteHeaddy: this is a side account of Botchamania's Maffew, its a bit of a dumping ground, the reason I suggest though is because it has loads of episdoes of Knightmare, Crystal Maze GamesMaster and Bad Influence! as well as some odd wrestling shows, the downside is you have to hunt them down, there are also omnibus versions of Knightmare's winning teams.

• Like 1

I'm currently big into Cow Chop (my avatar is their logo, you'd have never guessed) who do a lot of stupid shit. They're technically a gaming channel started by James (UberHaxorNova) and Aleks (ImmortalHD), formerly of the Creatures. Their best shows IMO are Amazon Prime Time and the Wrong Side of Youtube, which lead to some pretty interesting moments. 

• Like 1

I like a few different Rooster Teeth channels, but Cow Chop is definitely not one of them.

I like the main RT channel (some of it, at least - Always Open has been a great addition), Achievement Hunter, Funhaus, and Let's Play (which is mostly AH.)

• Like 3

I've basically replaced television with YouTube entirely.

Funhaus is my daily go-to, they have a schedule that they stick to and I'm usually guaranteed two pieces of content a day from them.

Polygon I don't like in general but I stay followed to them to remind me of anything that Griffin or Justin McElroy do and if I don't know what to watch, I usually put on the Monster Factory playlist for background noise.

RedLetterMedia I subbed to initially only for Best Of The Worst and other videos of the sort where they watch bad movies and do hilarious reviews on them - but I eventually got into all of their content and ended up sharing a lot of the same views when it comes to the way that the movie industry works.

newLEGACYinc put out a lot of content around wrestling games - often running whacky tournaments or charity events like the recent drive they did with their Royal Rumble marathon for the benefit of charity, this year raising more than $23,000 dollars.

Ahoy does really good, really well researched and produced mini-docs on games, but he also has a much larger series that looks at weapons in video games and their real life counterparts and how they're actually used in the games.

• Like 1

Y'all over here like HERE'S ALL THESE EDUCATIONAL INFORMATIONAL CHANNELS I LOVE GUYS and I'm over here like, I like to watch these two middle aged North Carolina guys do stupid things on the internet for entertainment's sake.

(This one is always my go-to when I'm showing people GMM for the first time. It's not really for everybody, but it gives you a decent idea of what they do on the show. Stupid challenges, stupid games, just goofy stuff.)

I also watch a fair bit of Let's Plays, mainly Achievement Hunter and Northernlion's Binding of Isaac videos. NL's voice and his weird rants and pop culture references are great.

Also, I'm assuming we're not limiting it to solely YouTube, because I watch a fair amount of Twitch as well. Namely Bajheera (WoW streamer, the guy who got me into playing warrior), and the Northernlion Live Super Show on Sundays/Mondays/Wednesdays/Thursdays. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...