Parts you hate in games you love

Benji

Speaking of KOTOR1

Spoiler

I found it very hard to believe that nobody recognized Revan. Revan didn't wear the Mask of Obvious Evil during the Mandalorian Wars, did Revan?

Or did they just not have Holovid journalists around this time? I mean, even if it was brushed off as a coincidence, that shit happens but come on, nobody knew what the hero of the Mandalorian Wars looked like? Canderous probably figured it out, sure, but unlike Bastilla and Jolee who absolutely had reasons for not spilling it, Canderous just... goes with it? Why?

• Like 1

The Fade in Dragon Age: Origins. Sooooo tedious. I hated it so much that I have to make sure I've installed the Skip The Fade mod before every playthrough.

Anything with a plane in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Especially Zero's RC plane.

The blue sphere minigame every sixteen seconds in Sonic Mania.

Caves in any Pokemon game. Because Zubat.

Dungeons in Persona 3 and 4 because they go on and on and on and everything is exactly the same. Persona 5's dungeons rock, though.

Edited by Dr. Rated-R

I love Remember Me's vibe, soundtrack, story and action....but don't like how it's so obvious that the enemies get stronger and more skilled as you go along and your own powers improve.

Hey! Now this guy is red! Hey now this red guy has a stun stick! Hey now the guy with the stun stick is yellow and is super strong! Hey now this super strong yellow guy has a gun! Etc etc.

rhonecaveentrance.jpg

From Dragon Quest II, The road to Rhone. String enemies with dirty tricks, turns that send you back to the start, and hidden pits to fuck with your progress. You still had a ways to go to save after you got out, so there was no guarantee of safety.

17 hours ago, MDK said:

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN, CJ

16 hours ago, Troy said:

Having to go from playing as badass John Marston to whiny Jack Marston in Red Dead Redemption. <_<

These two were my very first thoughts.

4 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I love Remember Me's vibe, soundtrack, story and action....but don't like how it's so obvious that the enemies get stronger and more skilled as you go along and your own powers improve.

Hey! Now this guy is red! Hey now this red guy has a stun stick! Hey now the guy with the stun stick is yellow and is super strong! Hey now this super strong yellow guy has a gun! Etc etc.

The main problem I had with this game was every fight was basically the same. Great story though.

Saints Row 2 ending with a fucking helicopter mission was absolutely brutal.

Also, nearly any time in an Ace Attorney game where you have to dust for prints. Sorry, Ema :(

Mafia III is my one my favourite games in terms of the story and the build up to the ending with the cover version of "Bad Moon Rising"? Exceptional. But my God the gameplay is repetitive. If it could have been a bit more varied it could have been a 9/10 game.

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Also, nearly any time in an Ace Attorney game where you have to dust for prints. Sorry, Ema :(

I really am enjoying the Phoenix Wright games but the animation for certain characters absolutely drives me up the wall. Oldbag being the main target of my hatred. 

11 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Yeah. I really enjoyed it, just really fun to have an hour or two on it every now and then. Soundtrack was great and so was the story. 

The soundtrack was amazing. Like I said before the cover of Bad Moon Rising as you are heading for the final part of the game really did it for me. That game was such a missed opportunity for something special. 

9 hours ago, db07 said:

The winter sections of Last of Us.... Playing as Ellie changed the entire feel for me. Made it so much scarier

I hated that but in a good way. On the hardest difficulty it is brutal - that part in the cabin is basically "you're dead if you make a single mistake", which is true for most of the game on that difficulty anyway, but the close quarters and lack of ammo really accentuates it.

Singstar. Over the years I'd downloaded a lot of songs for PS3.

I download my Singstar onto PS4 and it turns out that Sony just removed a load of the songs, like I'm down from 110 to 70odd. So I hunted online and turns out they just stripped the songs off. So now I have to keep my PS3 data safe if I want to play it.

Life Is Strange (original, not the new ones):

Spoiler

That stealth part in the final episode was balls. The story was already crumbling underneath the time travel mechanics that the game was now just making up as it went along, but crowbarring in a sneaking section with a control system that clearly wasn't designed for it really wasn't a good idea.

• Like 2