Football Manager 2018

Lineker

I got this game last Thursday. I've bought every Football Manager since the first one after the split from Eidos. I usually start with a National League North or South team and go journeyman or try and get them in the Premier League. I thought I'd try something different this year. I started unemployed with the intention of starting in the Northern Irish 3rd tier. After the first season was over, I got my first job at Tobermore United. They are amazingly terrible, I love it. Our crowds are in double digits and the only deals I can offer are non-contracts so my best players are constantly getting poached for free.

In my first season, I won the 3rd tier (which in the game is Championship 2, but I'm sure it's called something else now) and the Irish Intermediate Cup which is for 3rd tier teams downwards and Premiership reserve teams. 

My aim in the long term is to obviously win the Premiership but also build a top youth academy and bring players through, have some success in Europe, increase the reputation of my team which in time will increase the reputation of the league and see how far I can go.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

My aim in the long term is to obviously win the Premiership but also build a top youth academy and bring players through, have some success in Europe, increase the reputation of my team which in time will increase the reputation of the league and see how far I can go.

Should've done the San Marino challenge.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Should've done the San Marino challenge.

I thought that but I thought that whilst not easy by any means it would be easier as once you get the club side in Serie A, the clubs reputation will grow more rapid. Getting a solid N. Ireland squad with the majority of players playing in the Northern Irish Premiership would be pretty cool.

After winning the Northern Irish third tier in my first season with ease, I lost my first match in the Championship and then picked up 25 of the next 27 available points to go 5 points clear at the top. Signed a great 16 year old who's 17 now and easily my best midfielder and only getting better. CA was on 2 stars when I signed him, 6 months later now on 3.5 with 4 and 1 black star PA. It's a shame I can only sign players on non-contracts so pretty soon a Premiership team will come and take him away for nothing which has happened so often but enjoying the challenge of having to replace them with no money. Most of my players are on £20-£40 per appearance.

Started playing Football Manager. I felt it was too long winded. Now I'm playing Football Manager Touch. Currently two games into the Championship as Cardiff, undefeated. Also won first game in Carabao Cup. Just got six yellows and a £5000 fine for being unable to control our players against Aston Villa, but still won 2-1, so that's a decent consolation. Pain in the ass, though. My squad's too small and I don't have any money left.

After back-to-back promotions, I'm now in the Northern Irish Premiership with Tobermore United. 8th after 4 games, winning one and losing 3, conceding exactly 3 goals in each game. My only win so far was pretty amazing, away to the Crusaders, getting battered every way possible and find myself 3-0 after half an hour. I pull it back to 3-1 just before half time with a penalty. I go more defensive in the 2nd half just for damage control as a 3-1 loss wouldn't be terrible so not a lot happens until the 71st minute when I pull it back to 3-2 and I think "right, ok!" Two minutes later it's 3-3, four minutes after that I'm 4-3 up, five minutes after that I'm 5-3 up ("right, all eleven of you, get behind the fucking ball!!!"). They start throwing everything at me, I'm still not confident at this stage even more so when the 4th official holds up the board for 5 minutes of stoppage time! ("Where the fuck did you get 5 minutes from?!"). As they overload, I break to make it 6 right at the end!

I've played every edition of Football Manager and the majority Championship Manager titles before that. As we were such underdogs in that one that has to be my greatest comeback of all time.

EDIT: If it was the other way around, yes, I probably would have rage quit!