Favorite TV Show themes

VerbalPuke

I still remember the premier night of Adult Swim as a full-on programming block and being absolutely blown away when this came on at midnight.

also, the Red Dwarf end credits theme.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of theme music. I probably listen to television theme tunes as much as I listen to commercial music, and many of my favourites come from programmes I either don't like or have never even seen.

Cartoons from the 1980s have some cracking themes. The Raccoons ending theme ("Run With Us" by Lisa Lougheed) is an absolute banger, as is Around the World with Willy Fog, Penny Crayon, Family Ness, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Ducktales. Then you've got the brilliant stop motion themes and supermarionation from the likes of The Trap Door, Fireman Sam, Bertha, Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds.

Then you've got the sports and game shows. Gladiators had a great theme, as did The Price is Right. As a big snooker fan, I often listen to the Big Break and Pot Black themes, along with the old BBC snooker theme. In fact, the BBC has a great track record of sports themes. There's the Soul Limbo cricket theme, Match of the Day, Grandstand, the old athletics theme and, of course, the Wimbledon opening and closing themes. Of course, we shouldn't forget about Ski Sunday too.

I could go on for much longer. I was listening to some of these, and more just earlier today.

• Like 3

I always find that the themes I’m most drawn to are the ones that have accompanying visuals I find interesting, or just good. I mean I like the Breaking Bad intro for its simplicity but as fuller show themes and intros go these are some I like. 

Not intentional on my behalf that they’re mostly a load of double exposure stuff :shifty:

• Like 3

If anime counts, then Cowboy Bebop (which GoGo, who has excellent taste, already posted) and Samurai Champloo. (I would add Martian Successor Nadesico's theme, "You Get To Burning", but that was direct to video, so I won't.)

ALL the themes StupidSexyFlanders posted. Another motherfucker (and I use that as a term of endearment) with excellent taste! (Though, to be fair, the Married With Children theme is a Frank Sinatra song.)

In no particular order:

Batman (1966 live action) and Batman: The Animated Series

Star Trek (the original series), Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Knight Rider (the original series)

Cheers

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Doctor Who. Specifically, the original theme, the one shared by Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, the one shared by Tom Baker and Peter Davison, David Tennant's second theme, and Peter Capaldi's (the normal AND the one-use rock theme). The only versions I don't care for, really, are Colin Baker's and Sylvester McCoy's.

The A-Team

Challenge of the Super Friends

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the original series)

Game of Thrones. I usually DVR shows and fast forward through the opening; GoT I *always* watch the opening, because the whole thing is great.

*edited to add* Sanford and Son, The Andy Griffith Show, and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

(I've actually had occasions where I start whistling the theme to The Andy Griffith Show and somehow end up accidentally sequeing into The Smurfs.....)

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1