Star Trek Discovery

K

The Spock issue bothers me more than the holodecks. If Michael was as important to Sarak as the show wants us to believe she is we really should have heard about her by now, even just a throwaway line from Spock about having siblings (no Sybock doesn't count, that film should be fired into the galactic barrier).

If we see Spock it has to be handled very well or it will come across as fanservice for no other reason than fanservice.

Yeah, and there's been no mention of a spore drive before Discovery either. Or Sarek having a surrogate daughter. Stop being Comic Book Guy and just, heaven forbid, enjoy the show

Honestly the whole spore drive thing bothers me a lot more than the holodeck does. I think the only real explaination is that the ship is floating listlessly in a nebula somewhere and they're all fucking high out of their minds on space shrooms.

*Everyone eating ice cream*

MICHAEL: We did it, we stopped the Klingons! Sarek, why are you here?
SAREK: You didn't stop the Klingons. You're at Starfleet Medical under heavy sedation.

THE HUMAN ADVENTURE CONTINUES!

The crewmember Michael Burhan, on a five month mission to detox and reenter into society sober.

It's believed that the training room we saw isn't a holodeck, it just uses pretty limited holograms as targets. The reason the TNG holodeck was hot shit was that it could create any environment, and after the bynars had their way with it, people that would be indistinguishable from living beings. All we know about Discovery's holoroom is that it can project a hallway and some Klingons.

The first canon reference to a holodeck was a hundred years previous in Enterprise.

The spore drive is obviously going to get lost along the way, I don't see how you could think anything else could happen.

Think Krieger waves from TNG. Would have been a game changer, but was unsustainable. This will too.

Any criticism about why we haven't heard of Michael before would also need to explain why we hadn't heard of Spock's brother before he turned up in that movie.

This a pretty comprehensive list of holographic technology on star trek. Discovery fits neatly between the holoprojection training facility on enterprise and the rec room on tas. The reason everyone blew a load over the TNG holodeck was that it introduced replicated matter.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 06:07, K said:

Discovery's first landing party in today's episode, the planet looked amazing.

It was a nice touch to have someone actually be affected by the planet for a change. 

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Episode 8

Hide contents

Is anyone else really bored by the Klingons? I did not think that would be something I would ever say, but their stuff is boring the crap out of me.

The _______ stuff in that episode was a definite low-point for me. It was cut so badly. Hoping that watching episode 8 and 9 back to back makes everything seem more coherent.

• 1 month later...

Fun Theory related to certain revelations in "Despite Yourself"

Through SCIENCE, Voq, the Torchbearer, was somehow turned into Ash Tyler, and given his strength and the fact that it's mentioned his 'bones were crushed' as if to shorten him suggests to me that the Klingon doctors basically kept Voq's nervous and skeletal system, and replaced the rest with the real Tyler's, who's probably dead. 

Here's what I'm thinking. 

Ash Tyler and Voq have to be out there, somewhere, in the Mirror Universe. I have a feeling he's going to be outed as a result of the encounter. 

On 1/10/2018 at 08:42, Mick said:

Fun Theory related to certain revelations in "Despite Yourself"

Hide contents

Through SCIENCE, Voq, the Torchbearer, was somehow turned into Ash Tyler, and given his strength and the fact that it's mentioned his 'bones were crushed' as if to shorten him suggests to me that the Klingon doctors basically kept Voq's nervous and skeletal system, and replaced the rest with the real Tyler's, who's probably dead. 

Here's what I'm thinking. 

Ash Tyler and Voq have to be out there, somewhere, in the Mirror Universe. I have a feeling he's going to be outed as a result of the encounter. 

I feel this is all so obvious that it has to be something else and they're just using this as a red herring, so therefore I am almost certain it is true.

• 2 weeks later...

:mellow:

Spoiler

No wonder Lorca is a prick.

It's really shining a light on what a shithole the Mirror Universe is.

I also liked some of the more metaphysical aspects of this episode.