What kind of music do you like?

Benji

Don't be that person who says "I like a bit of everything". Everyone likes "a bit of everything". If you had a genre (or genres) you find most of your songs belong to, what is it?

For me, it's pop-punk music. I listen to blink-182 and their off-shoots a lot, as well as New Found Glory, Sum 41, Green Day, The Offspring, Fall Out Boy, PATD! and the usual suspects. Mostly because it reminds me of simpler times, but also because I'm a sucker for catchy and inoffensive music.

If I had to pick a preference, turn of the century hip hop. 98-2001 was probably my favourite time frame followed by 90's gangsta rap.
Growing up in rural NZ, rap was relatable to a lot of the upbringing there. It got to the point where we'd even have to deal with our own "Bloods vs Crips" morph into an even more ridiculous Capulets vs Montagues. Yes... Those Capulets and Montagues... But on topic. the above would suffice.

Edited by Rocky

I'd probably broadly say "post-punk"; Joy Division, Public Image Ltd, Nick Cave, The Fall, Orange Juice, Talking Heads, etc. etc., but there are probably more exceptions than those that fit the rule.

• Like 3

Also pop punk with a strong preference towards ska punk. My wider listening tastes extend through pretty much anything which can be defined as rock, punk, or metal (excluding harsher vocals).

Eurodance is my guilty pleasure.

hip-hop/rap, indie and punk. i've been into hip-hop for so long that i'm finally just now starting to listen to stuff other than that genre. for example, i forgot how good Kurt Vile or the War on Drugs are.

i'll totally admit to liking some pop music if it's catchy enough. i'll still hop onto youtube and listen to Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande songs if the mood strikes.

10 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Also pop punk with a strong preference towards ska punk. My wider listening tastes extend through pretty much anything which can be defined as rock, punk, or metal (excluding harsher vocals).

Eurodance is my guilty pleasure.

I used to adore ska punk, but I haven't listened to much in a loooong time.

Eurodance like Aqua? If so did we just become best friends?

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

I used to adore ska punk, but I haven't listened to much in a loooong time.

Eurodance like Aqua? If so did we just become best friends?

Cascada are my personal favourite but all the top cheesy eurodance hits can be found on my Spotify.

Punk, what else would I say? Ramones, Dead Boys, Germs, Discharge, Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, Adolescents, etc. That's always been where the majority of my favorites fall. 

I mean like a lot of different shit, a ton of stuff. But for the purposes of singling out one genre, punk. Thats without getting into the crazy sub genres and assuming those just fall under punk.

Punk, Emo and Pop-punk is really where my tastes lie. Bands include American Football, You Blew It!, Prince Daddy and the Hyenas, Pkew Pkew Pkew, The Menzingers, New Found Glory, Allister, Brand New, Front Bottoms, just anything that sits in those genres really.

Grew up on country music. I love it in phases and will find myself blaring it on the weekends or while I am making dinner, then getting sick of it the next day.

My love of country as a kid grew into folk, both newer faster stuff as well as older folk (Paul Simon, James Taylor). 

And then more indie stuff (Judah and the Lion, Mumford and Sons, Johnnyswim come to mind). Yeah, M&S aren't really indie anymore but it's that style of modern folk/indie music.

• I love punk, especially female fronted punk bands. Not a snob in terms of pop-punk or anything like that. I can do something hardcore like Fugazi or something almost not punk like Tacocat. 
  • I enjoy a really good singer-song writer, especially ones who have something interesting to say about the world or who like to experiment a bit with their sound. 
  • I used to really enjoy house music, but not the mainstream "house" music that is being passed around these days. 
  • I enjoy hip hop, but what I look for most in hip hop is interesting beats and textures. I do enjoy a great rapper, but if the beat is lame or tired I am not interested. 
  • I like modern indie music - everything from Panda Bear to Vampire Weekend. 
  • Like 1

I don't listen to music much if at all anymore. However, I still tend to fall down on the side of Hard Rock and Metal. Stuff like Mastodon, Tool, Deftones are in line with what I listen to, whilst the last albums I have bought include stuff by Faith No More, Behemoth and Sunn 0)))). I own a lot of work by My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost and Cult of Luna as well.

I like a genre and era that most people here seem to hate. It's heavy metal from the 1970s and 1980s. The likes of Black Sabbath, Saxon, Dio, Judas Priest and Metallica are bands I really enjoy because I'm a fan of those kind of guitar riffs and vocals. I'm also fond of a lot of the rock bands of those decades that don't really fall into the genre of heavy metal, but which share some of the aforementioned features. If it's on a list of old bands people on here hate, I'm probably a fan.