Who is the biggest name/team to never win "the big one"?

Benji

So I was just looking at Dan Marino's Wiki, and I'm not much up on American Football, but apparently he never won a Superbowl, which I find weird since he's one of the few older NFL players I know the name of. I got curious - what are some other names/teams who never won "the big one" of their sport?

44 minutes ago, Benji said:

So I was just looking at Dan Marino's Wiki, and I'm not much up on American Football, but apparently he never won a Superbowl, which I find weird since he's one of the few older NFL players I know the name of. I got curious - what are some other names/teams who never won "the big one" of their sport?

If he'd have just snapped the football right he'd have won the Superbowl. #LacesOut #Justice4Finkle

• Like 3

Going outside team sports and games, Jimmy White deserves a mention. He won every major snooker tournament other than the World Championships, at which he was a runner-up six times, five of which were in consecutive years. 1994 was his big chance when he was looking set to win the deciding frame of the Final, but the pressure got to him and he missed an easy black. If it hadn't been for Stephen Hendry, who beat him in four Finals, White could have managed to win a few.

• Like 1

Looking at a list of NFL players who never won the Super Bowl, most of them just had the bad luck of playing for shitty teams. The notable exceptions being Dan Marino and Bruce Smith, who played in four straight Super Bowls with the Bills.

4 hours ago, hugobomb said:

Gilles Villeneaux (more than likely butchered the spelling) for F1.

Villeneuve, so not a bad effort. He's a good shout but not the biggest name in F1 history to never win the big one, so say most anyway. That 'honour' goes to Stirling Moss.

From the tennis world, Andy Roddick never won Wimbledon despite three runs to the Final and, in his last, losing a true sporting epic 16-14 in the fifth to Roger Federer - a match that set the record for longest Grand Slam Final in tennis history.

• Like 3

Despite spending a few years at Barca (realistically his best chance of a title), Gary Lineker never won a league title with a club and never got anything with England of course.

He did get the Cup Winner's Cup and Copa Del Ray with Barca, FA Cup with Spurs, Charity Shield with Everton and the League Two title with Leicester. But that's it.

Personally he won:

Dan Marino instantly came to mind when I saw this thread title. He only went to one Super Bowl, and it was in his second (I believe) year. 

In basketball I can recall guys like Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing never getting a ring.

In baseball, Don Mattingly is the greatest Yankee to never win a championship.

Stockton/Malone were amazing and played for my favourite basketball team. Indeed, I own a replica Stockton vest from the time. Those few years in the '90s with the battles against the Bulls etc. They were heady, brilliant times with a fantastic team, but just couldn't get across the final line.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Stockton/Malone were amazing and played for my favourite basketball team. Indeed, I own a replica Stockton vest from the time. Those few years in the '90s with the battles against the Bulls etc. They were heady, brilliant times with a fantastic team, but just couldn't get across the final line.

Hell yes. I'll never forget those Jazz teams. If it wasn't for Jordan or that lockout year, we would have a few titles at least.