Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

I enjoyed Oblivion more than Skyrim. I accept that Skyrim is technically superior in every way, but I just enjoyed Oblivion's colours, environments and sense of wonder more. Although I do still really like Skyrim, going from one snowy place to another didn't quite have the same feel to it.

I also think the notion that Rare has been awful since being purchased by Microsoft is inaccurate. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a fun, quirky game, as was Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Kameo was decent too. Viva Pinata was downright fantastic.

• Like 1

The only part of The Last of Us I enjoyed was the prologue.

Hell, the prologue was the only reason I bothered seeing it through to the end. If it wasn't as well executed as it was, I'd have given up on TLOU about a third of the way in.

Also: MGS4 did not make me like Raiden. Instead, I liked him even less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

The only part of The Last of Us I enjoyed was the prologue.

Hell, the prologue was the only reason I bothered seeing it through to t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶T̶L̶O̶U̶  about a third of the way in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

Also: MGS4 did not make me like Raiden. Instead, I liked him even less.

I'm one of the few people who liked playing as Raiden in MGS2. I won't deny that his conversations with Rose got tiresome quickly, but I liked seeing his backstory emerge and his trust for authority wane. I also liked seeing Snake from someone else's perspective, rather than just playing as him again.

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

I never found any Legend of Zelda games enjoyable. I did finish what I started though,  but it's been a few years and I'm yet to finish skyward sword and I've barely touched breath of the wild.

Just now, Hellraiser said:

The 3D Zelda games were never as good as the 2D games and both Ocarina Of Time as well as Majora's Mask are overrated. *ducks away*

I've only played Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. OoT, as much as I admire it as a technical achievement for a 1998 N64 game, is a game I've tried several times to finish, but I always get bored after a while. Despite all the things to do, I just wasn't having fun. I found the puzzles tedious and the combat to be more a case of waiting for a glaring weak spot than an enjoyable back-and-forth.

I can safely say that I've enjoyed Breath of the Wild so far. Combat is actually fun this time round, but the main attraction is the ability to explore and come across new locations. It does have some glaring annoyances, as I've discussed in the Nintendo thread, but my overall experience is positive.

30 minutes ago, Jake O. Rhodes said:

Pokemon has been completely uninspired since Blue/Red.

I played the first Pokemon game on Gameboy and Pokemon X on 3DS. I haven't played any other ones but I would agree that nothing has changed except they are easier. 

4 hours ago, MadJack said:

Dark Souls would be perfectly fine with an easy mode, and games that market themselves as 'the hardest evar' are no better than games that market themselves as an easy way to get 500 gamerscore or 500 trophies or whatever.

...I mean, they are. The latter is often a cynical way to engage people with a game that wouldn't otherwise get any attention whatsoever. The Souls games are good games, with the added addition of a high difficulty level. Huge difference.

4 hours ago, Nerf said:

All the Fallout games are a chore to sit through once you power through the initial excitement.

Far Cry as a series doesn't get nearly enough credit in terms of its 'influence' on video games as a whole.

I agree with one, but intrigued by two. What influence do you think they had out of interest?

The ending of Mass Effect 3 was brilliant. Not the lack of epilogue, that was shit until they sorted it.

A series for me which was defined by having to make difficult choices, the final challenge was to make an incredibly difficult, near impossible decision.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Avenged said:

The ending of Mass Effect 3 was brilliant. Not the lack of epilogue, that was shit until they sorted it.

A series for me which was defined by having to make difficult choices, the final challenge was to make an incredibly difficult, near impossible decision.

I'm interested to get the perspective from someone who feels this way. I had no issue with the fact that everything boiled down to a three-way choice, but it was the way it seemed to clash with the lore built up by three long games that annoyed me. What was your take on that, if you don't mind my asking?