Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

3 hours ago, RPS said:

I do not want it to sound like I am talking down about Saints Row, but it always felt more arcadey to me. GTA felt more like a simulation. 

Entirely fair, I think that's why I like it. I miss the more simplistic arcade style games on console. In fact I've been wishing for a more arcade style soccer and hockey games with online multiplayer for a long while.

2 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

Hideo Kojima is probably a sex pest. Making women having to be naked for motion capture for MGS 4 for no real reason is certainly dodgy.

I didn't know that. Like, I understand from a technically aspect why that would be a thing, but it also seems wildly unnecesarry, especially given how it's been used <_<

• Like 1

GTA (and Rockstar in general) felt like it had a fork in the road, where they could have either gone in a more serious and gritty direction or a fun and lighthearted direction. The direction towards serious and gritty and having overly finicky controls has cooled me on Rockstar games.  

1 hour ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

I’ve never enjoyed a single Zelda game. I’ve given them all chances hoping I’ll feel different, but they just don’t interest me at all.

BOTW is on my backlog, but the only Zelda games I ever enjoyed were Link To The Past and Hyrule Warriors.

Saints Row has its peaks and valleys.  It peaks in the even numbered games (2 and 4) and valleys in the odd games (1 and 3).

SR1 was a fairly standard GTA clone.  It wasn't terrible, but added nothing new to the genre.  SR2 added a lot more humor to the mix and the level of character customization was insane.  SR3 added nothing new to the SR2 formula and dialed back a bit of the customization.  Then SR4 came out and said "Fuck it, now you have super powers!" and just kicked the crazy to an extreme

On 24/02/2020 at 15:51, Colly said:

I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more than any recent GTA. Even if just thanks to the presence of Ladyhawke and Bombay Bicycle Club on the soundtrack.

Sleeping Dogs is low-key a great game.  LOVE that it focuses more on hand-to-hand combat over the GTA style "all the weapons" combat.  Was just a great game that would've been a notch in the  True Crime series that had a great LA game but a terrible NYC game

On 24/02/2020 at 22:21, OctoberRaven said:

BOTW is on my backlog, but the only Zelda games I ever enjoyed were Link To The Past and Hyrule Warriors.

I find BOTW a bit overwhelming. On the switch I've enjoyed playing Links Awakening more than BOTW

• 1 month later...

Rocksmith is a concept that should have really taken off a lot more than it did. It was a great learning tool that didn't get the technical support that it needed to continue to grow due to the fact that it came out at a time when the world was just done with Guitar Hero/Rock Band and those types of games. I remember using my old acoustic guitar to learn quite a bit before they added bass support. As a bassist, I sold my guitar and was hoping to go all in on bettering my skills... except, the game on PS4 never properly recognized the bass strings, and it's just been sitting around ever since. Occasionally, I'll bust it out to use my TV as an amplifier or to just jam with the in-game instruments, but it could have been so much more.

Speaking of Rock Band, I think they did a great job re-launching with 4, but I'm not sure that Harmonix really understands their audience when it comes to their downloadable content. When the original three games were out, there was consistent content coming out that I would add to my want list. Now, it seems like they're hell bent on including new songs that people don't know yet (which won't sell well, at first) and older songs that their developers like.

If you were to look at the most requested stuff on their forums, they are usually older tracks and bands that have huge followings, and would probably not cost them as much to license as what they're adding. So, while Rock Band 4 is a cool return to form for the series, the downloadable tracks chosen show a clear lack of understanding in how to market the game.

On the topic of wrestling games, Here Comes the Pain and No Mercy are an interchangeable 1/2 in terms of quality for me. World Tour was a ton of fun and introduced me to some foreign workers I'd never heard of previously. Revenge was a huge step forward, and the ability to change the attires of the wrestlers was a massive and fun addition. Even more fun though? Watching the intro video every once in awhile with the updated attires. WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy continuing that was a really cool thing as well. No Mercy's branching story-mode was great, even though I would have liked for it to be more open in the idea of not having matches you needed specific outcomes for. Instead, a win takes you one direction. A loss takes you the other. That would have been preferable.

The Legends of Wrestling series was fun, but never quite lived up to its potential.

Fire Pro Wrestling always pulls me in because of the depth of it, but I always end up finding the game too restrictive and limited to really invest a ton of time into it.

A wrestling game that takes the ease of No Mercy's controls and blends them with what the WWE 2k series does... utilizes a "franchise" type mode with several possible storylines included and a storyline creator where you can set how things can go... and the customization of Fire Pro... man, that's the dream.

If I could only have one console and their entire library of games for the rest of my life... I'd choose the Nintendo 64. I can't remember a single console where I played that wide of a range of games that I really enjoyed, and it offered a little bit of everything to me, personally, as a gamer.

• Like 1

...animal crossing looks real boring...

Like, I'm happy that its bringing such joy to people right now, but a friend of mine keeps trying to convince me to buy it and, like, its 60 bucks to pay off your landlord and catch bugs. I've lived in enough shitty housing that I do not need that experience thank yoooou

So I am in chapter 5 of RDR2, and I won't spoil a thing.

But i'm just... done, I feel like I have no desire to continue the game anymore. The game feels tedious, the story goes in circles which i know is part of the theme, but it's just frustrating and annoying.

- Missions devolve into a shootathon where you just shoot people over and over again for no real purpose other than 'we need to throw baddies at you to shoot'.
- Into chapter 5, I genuinely feel the developers had no clue what they had to write so they just jumped the shark with an absurd side plot with even more ridiculous set pieces.
- Antagonists feel super underdeveloped, a bunch of them were swept aside in 2-3 missions because whilst the game is brutally slow and plodding, the storyline feels like it's blitzing through at the same time.
- Many interesting side characters get little to no character development, they get no real defining moments where you start caring for them. Then when they get killed or something bad happens them, it's done quick and for the dramas, but they don't give you a proper time to let it sink in because we have to go into another shooting gallery.
-- Again, I know that the 'we need to keep moving' is part of the overarching theme, but a few deaths completely fell flat for me, including two involving two of my favourite side characters.
- Arthur and Dutch shine, but they get all the time to shine. The other characters, including the ones you know from RDR1, they just feel like cardboard cutouts. They're there in spirit only, because they barely get a chance to really show any character because you gotta go into another shootout.
- The world is way too large, large to the point where it's just not fun anymore. Having to travel 5-15 minutes from one place to the next got boring quick and I find myself fast traveling, which still isn't fast enough because they had to make the travel cinematic!
- Collecting and hunting is tedious to straight up frustrating. Gotta find a 3* animal, gotta shoot it the right way, then skin it, to travel across the world to the handful of trappers or your base.
-- Oh, I see you shot one of the fifty large animals you need to hunt, well, your horse can only carry one at a time, so have fun traveling 15 minutes to drop off that carcass. Now go do it 49 more times if you want to get to that 100%
- The controls are garbage, you move like you're stuck in pigshit, shootouts is just doing L2+R2 a lot of times. The horses are finicky where you keep running into a tree or another object at full speed.
- The core system is a bother rather than a boon. You never know whether you're overweight or underweight, and it just feels like the deadeye core is there to annoy you rather than keep your god-tier shooting in check.
- The bounty system is a ballache. You make a mistake, you get a massive bounty which you can only lose by paying the troll toll or getting arrested after you donated all your money to Dutch and Co.
- TRAVELING IS THE GODDAMN WORST. Having to travel in the missions itself takes 5 more minutes, then the mission is done in 5 more. Guess what, enjoy riding another 5 minutes for your next mission. Rinse, Repeat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a masterpiece in many ways. The world is gorgeous, Arthur is a great protag albeit he's the classic rockstar doormat who does everything with only the occassional grumble or whinge. The customisation and the sense of realism to the world is nothing else.

But the game is also tedious, boring, and has many of the pitfalls that all the modern Rockstar games suffer from. A blind obsession with scope, a story that has good moments but they're all fleeting and missions that are either shootouts from the start, or devolve into shootouts.

RDR2 is the most boring and tedious masterpiece i've ever played.

I'm at the end of Chapter 5, and I am just... I have no desire to play on towards the end, even though it's pretty close.

I liked RDR1 better. The story was more enjoyable, and whilst it was also a shooutout simulator like every Rockstar open world game, it just felt like the story was going somewhere rather than the circles RDR2 has you running in.

• Like 1

Everything you just said is wrong.

Just riding around, hunting and fishing is one of the best parts of the game.

• Like 3

I can see how it could burn you out with how long and slow it is but I still think its one of the best games I've ever played. For sheer immersion and getting drawn into a character, nothing comes close.

• Like 4

Yup, it's my favourite game of all time to be honest.

It's so vast that there are different ways to play it, different approaches you can take so I can see why some people don't enjoy it, but it just was the perfect blend of story, character and gameplay for me. I love it so much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gazz said:

Everything you just said is wrong.

Just riding around, hunting and fishing is one of the best parts of the game.

I spent probably 20-30 hours just enjoying the game and doing traveling, hunting, collecting bounties, catching horses, and trying to find hidden stuff.

But after those hours I realized I barely put a dent in anything, and with how plodding the game is, I just went 'ugh, I will continue the story, then'.

I'm genuinely glad others can spend more time in the game, but after a while the game felt more like a chore to get through than an interesting journey. Especially my issues with hunting, which involves a stupid amount of backtracking because there's only 1 vendor for every region where I can sell my kills, took a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The game is beautiful and damn fun to just get lost in. But it has some real asshole design elements to it that were put in for 'the realisms', but the only thing it really does is make the game (significantly) artificially longer.

Hell, I even set up an excel spreadsheet tracking my hunting stuff, so I could track all my hunting requirements. And some expectations are insane. Like getting 16 perfect rat pelts, or finding a buttload of tiny bird species I had to take out for their feathers.

I get that it's supposed to be a challenge, but at a certain point it becomes tedious and annoying rather than a liberating trek...

idk, maybe i'll pick it up when my frustrations with the game have cooled off a bit. Because like I said, it's an utterly brilliant game, one of the best ever made. But it definitely overstays its welcome in some areas.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Like getting 16 perfect rat pelts, or finding a buttload of tiny bird species I had to take out for their feathers.

This is how I spend my weekends. :lol:

As someone who 100%d RDR1 and GTA5, there was no fucking way I was going to 100% RDR2.

Fun game to play and finish, not to complete.