Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

Every opening credit scene in the game is like the opening to a great movie. 

I think I'm only up to the second one. So far I agree. Wiki'd Telltale Games and I'm not surprised that they have ex Lucas Arts people.

Well, their first major project was rebooting Sam and Max...

But yeah, as someone who wouldn't normally care about Borderlands at all, I loved Tales From The Borderlands. Everything about it was wonderful.

9 hours ago, Colly said:

I really enjoyed their Monkey Island games. They were far from perfect but they captured the spirit of the first 2 better than anything in the last 2 decades. All I want in life is a great Monkey Island game. :(

I don't think there's a single game I would want to play more than Ron Gilbert's original plan for Monkey Island 3. As much as I absolutely love Curse of Monkey Island, I would love to know what the real plan for a third game was, and how he intended to follow up on the ending of MI2.

That reminds me, I really need to get back to Thimbleweed Park at some point. I just find the character switching dynamic irritating, as it tends to result in too much back-tracking.

4 hours ago, Skummy said:

I don't think there's a single game I would want to play more than Ron Gilbert's original plan for Monkey Island 3. As much as I absolutely love Curse of Monkey Island, I would love to know what the real plan for a third game was, and how he intended to follow up on the ending of MI2.

I think they are making a HD remake of Curse of Monkey Island so perhaps the directors commentary might shed some light on it.

This looks as though it's starting to become unpopular, so I'll put it here. THQ was a bad publisher during its last few years, and I really can't agree with people who say that they miss it. THQ brought in the online pass before EA and Ubisoft, and it was also dabbling in the "cheats as micro-transactions" market several years before that started becoming an industry standard. I've seen people online reminiscing about the glory days of WWE games under THQ, which is funny because, as I remember it, most discussions were about how THQ was holding those games back.

8 hours ago, Skummy said:

That reminds me, I really need to get back to Thimbleweed Park at some point. I just find the character switching dynamic irritating, as it tends to result in too much back-tracking.

I'd completely forgot that was coming and have missed the release by months. Definitely getting that soon then. Character switching does annoy me a bit though, never got far through Maniac Mansion and gave up on Zak McKracken when it did the same. Balls. 

Might be impopular, Might not be impopular, but The Sims as a franchise is effectively the franchise that created this entire DLC and microtransaction bullshit.

The Sims 1 had 6 expansion packs in a 3 year timespan, all of them being priced at 20-30 bucks a pop.
The Sims 2 had 8 expansion packs in a 4 year timespan, all of them being priced at 20-30 bucks a pop. AND they had 10 additional 'stuff packs' that added nothing but furniture for another 10 or so bucks.
The Sims 3 had 11 expansion packs in a 5 year timespan, all of them being priced at 20-30 bucks a pop, they had 9 stuff packs priced for 10 bucks (Some that were utter trash like Katy Perry's Sweet Treats). AND they had The Sims 3 Store, where you could buy towns and furniture with 'simpoints', a superfluous virtual currency that made prices for some things extra vague.
The Sims 4 currently has 4 Expansion packs at 40 bucks!, 13 fucking stuff packs at 10 bucks, AND 5 'game packs' at 20 bucks. And on top of all that there's still content you can only acquire through the Sims 4 Store with Simpoints, prices ranging from half a buck to 9.99.

I'm not gonna lie, i've played all the Sims titles. But as a business concept it's utter cancer and is the granddaddy of these practices being viable for developers and acceptable for consumers (apparently).

The only good things being that the Sims 4 doesn't have loot crates (yet?), and that there's modding support which allows users to make their own content.

Edited by Jasonmufc

It's EA. EA are pushing loot crates, micro and macro transactions like their lives depend on it. It's poison. I don't like the richer people get to have a "superior" experience in a game than a poorer person once they've both bought it.

It's like the passes at places like Alton Towers that you can buy to jump queues, without being disabled. All the rich families swanning around getting on rides quickly with their dollah dollah.

Image result for karl marx propaganda

• Like 1

On 18/11/2017 at 18:36, RPS said:

Without spoilers, what I appreciate about the game is the sense of humor, the set pieces and the cinematics. At times it feels like a movie. 

I'm about halfway through the game and so far Loader-Bot is my favourite character. And the "Bro" scene was funny.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2017 at 22:01, Drock007 said:

My unpopular opinion is that there is way too much nostalgia in the gaming community and 99% of games made over 20 years ago are garbage and don't hold up at all anymore

Pictured below, Drock007

72f.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/26/2017 at 14:01, Drock007 said:

My unpopular opinion is that there is way too much nostalgia in the gaming community and 99% of games made over 20 years ago are garbage and don't hold up at all anymore

I think that is more fact than opinion. There are only a handful of games that still get people going and that is usually only within those communities.

I'm thinking about another play-through of WatchDogs. I enjoyed it the first time.

Most old games ARE terrible. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2, for example, are borderline unplayable.

The only games that tend to stand up somewhat are the witty point n click games (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max etc), the better strategy games (like Rollercoaster/Transport Tycoon) and the games that are just legitimately, utterly playable and FUN (like the Sensible Soccer games).

Digitised sprites and cool characters went a long way too. It was a cheap as fuck game, but seven year old Skummy was obsessed with the fact that the characters were real people.

The majority of old games are a bit shit, but that's because there were just so many. There are countless games from as far back as you can trace gaming that are still endlessly playable.