Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

18 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm interested to get the perspective from someone who feels this way. I had no issue with the fact that everything boiled down to a three-way choice, but it was the way it seemed to clash with the lore built up by three long games that annoyed me. What was your take on that, if you don't mind my asking?

I felt that all the things which had been started and built up throughout the series were resolved during the 3rd game - obviously the extra dlc made a huge difference too. I know I’m in the minority but when that choice came up I was like ‘oh shit’ and genuinely sat there stunned for a few minutes.

I'm not sure how unpopular these opinions are but I've stated them before. First Person Shooters are mostly garbage and online only games need to go away.

4 hours ago, Kaney said:

One I thought of thanks to the WWE 2K18 thread: No Mercy on N64 was a massively overhyped, average game that I still don't see the appeal of.

What game do you feel was better? I only ask because I feel that compared to No Mercy, most wrestling games after that have been complete crap. I will admit though that I actually enjoyed WCW vs NWO World Tour much more than No Mercy.

11 minutes ago, Forever Forky said:

I'm not sure how unpopular these opinions are but I've stated them before. First Person Shooters are mostly garbage and online only games need to go away.

What game do you feel was better? I only ask because I feel that compared to No Mercy, most wrestling games after that have been complete crap. I will admit though that I actually enjoyed WCW vs NWO World Tour much more than No Mercy.

In my personal opinion, I don't know about being a straight up better game fair enough, but I got a million times more fun and far more hours of playing Here Comes The Pain than I ever put into No Mercy or the other one that was very familiar. I wanna say Wrestlemania something?

I mean I can see that they were really good for customising and stuff but the gameplay, to me, was horrible.

• Like 1

The AKI games to me were products of their times. They were better than the mainstream alternatives but just don't hold up today.

The Fire Pro games are better in virtually every way except graphics and story mode.

5 hours ago, Liam said:

...I mean, they are. The latter is often a cynical way to engage people with a game that wouldn't otherwise get any attention whatsoever. The Souls games are good games, with the added addition of a high difficulty level. Huge difference.

You're wrong. The Souls games get away with their dumb marketing by actually having a game to master there, rather than just insta-death that you see in a lot of games that market themselves as 'the most difficult' or whatever.

I hate the Souls games. Market yourself as super challenging or whatever but you are actively shunning a lot of people by not including an easier option. It doesn't hurt people who want the challenge to include an easier option. Make fun of me in your ads if you want but not even giving me a chance is saying your game is too good to want my money and I don't see why any company would do that

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I hate the Souls games. Market yourself as super challenging or whatever but you are actively shunning a lot of people by not including an easier option. It doesn't hurt people who want the challenge to include an easier option. Make fun of me in your ads if you want but not even giving me a chance is saying your game is too good to want my money and I don't see why any company would do that

I love it when Souls fans or just 'hardcore gamers' in general get pissy (not saying anyone here is in that group, y'all are great) about stuff like that. People who whine about Mario Kart having auto drive or whatever are the same. It doesn't affect them and isn't going to win anyone any prizes in the online multiplayer so why do the 'git gud' crowd even care?

5 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I love it when Souls fans or just 'hardcore gamers' in general get pissy (not saying anyone here is in that group, y'all are great) about stuff like that. People who whine about Mario Kart having auto drive or whatever are the same. It doesn't affect them and isn't going to win anyone any prizes in the online multiplayer so why do the 'git gud' crowd even care?

Here's a tip: don't speak with fans of Divinity: Original Sin 2. You'll be hard pressed to find a worse breed of elitist tossers anywhere in video game culture.

Don't get me started on the Dark Souls "git gud" crowd. Everytime I hear someone use that phrase unironically I want to punch that person on the face. Being good at Dark Souls or any other "hardcore" game doesn't make you a better persone than anybody else you pathetic, worthless assholes!

5 hours ago, Liam said:

I know this isn't necessarily a topic where we're looking to argue against these things, but I do feel that No Mercy et al benefited from practically every over wrestling game of that era being an absolute mess.

I'd argue that SmackDown 2: Know Your Role was a pretty good game but other than that there weren't any decent non-AKI wrestling games. The Acclaim wrestling games were all aweful. On the WCW front you had Nitro and Thunder (which was pretty much just Nitro with a new menu skin, an updated roster, slightly more match options and new pick-me skits) which were both terrible. Mayhem was a step in the right direction but it still left a lot to be desired. And Backstage Assault is a contender for "worst wrestling game of all time" award. You also had WrestleMania: The Arcade Game and In Your House but are Mortal Kombat-like fighting games.

I actually had a lot of fun with the Acclaim ones. I spent so many hours playing WWF Attitude and creating guys and storylines. I hated the button combinations for doing moves because I hate all games like that but I felt like it had a lot more in terms of moves compared to what we get in today's games. 

I'm not saying 'git gud' by any means, but when the challenge is the core of the game, maybe it just isn't for you? They don't NEED to do anything considering the game sells.

I mean, romance sims involving pigeons aren't really my thing, but people buy Hatoful Boyfriend. Different strokes - they don't really need to pander to anyone.

I'll throw out Project Cars 2 as another game which is rock hard. If you remove the difficulty, it isn't the same game. Simple really. There are other options of racing games that target my (rubbish) abilities at driving games, just like there are myriad third person adventure style games if the Souls version is too difficult.

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

You're wrong. The Souls games get away with their dumb marketing by actually having a game to master there, rather than just insta-death that you see in a lot of games that market themselves as 'the most difficult' or whatever.

I also don't get what you mean. What games are you complaining about? Stuff like Super Meat Boy? X-Com? Salt and Sanctuary? FTL? All difficult games with a death mechanic that makes them harder.

• Like 1

I thought The Crew was very harshly criticised, I loved the concept of the Car-PG and free roaming even if the career mode was a bit limited it still had a lot of replayability.

Of course they've ruined it by putting planes into the sequel, but that's another matter.

21 minutes ago, Liam said:

I'm not saying 'git gud' by any means, but when the challenge is the core of the game, maybe it just isn't for you? They don't NEED to do anything considering the game sells.

I mean, romance sims involving pigeons aren't really my thing, but people buy Hatoful Boyfriend. Different strokes - they don't really need to pander to anyone.

I'll throw out Project Cars 2 as another game which is rock hard. If you remove the difficulty, it isn't the same game. Simple really. There are other options of racing games that target my (rubbish) abilities at driving games, just like there are myriad third person adventure style games if the Souls version is too difficult.

I also don't get what you mean. What games are you complaining about? Stuff like Super Meat Boy? X-Com? Salt and Sanctuary? FTL? All difficult games with a death mechanic that makes them harder.

This is bothering me a little. I'm not saying don't do it if you want but I feel like we know our opinions aren't agreed with by most people that's why we are posting them in the thread called "unpopular opinions" and yet you are still arguing them like you need to prove something

• Like 1

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

This is bothering me a little. I'm not saying don't do it if you want but I feel like we know our opinions aren't agreed with by most people that's why we are posting them in the thread called "unpopular opinions" and yet you are still arguing them like you need to prove something

I'm not trying to prove anything; it is just an issue that I can't really understand. There was then the additional 'people who revel in the difficulty of these games are tosspots' style responses so I'm just wondering what people expect.

In short - I'm trying to engage in discussion on a discussion board.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I thought The Crew was very harshly criticised, I loved the concept of the Car-PG and free roaming even if the career mode was a bit limited it still had a lot of replayability.

Of course they've ruined it by putting planes into the sequel, but that's another matter.

Hows the driving? FH3 is an open world driving sim and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's pretty good but there's no difference between driving one type of car to another, for example  there's very little difference between driving a 1960s muscle car and a brand new Lamborghini.

The free world aspect is great in the sense that the world is a scaled down version of the USA with all the big landmarks there to see, so if you have half an hour to spare you can drive from the east coast of Maine to the west coast of California (and get an achievement for doing so).

There are also hundreds of mini trial events spread out all over the place to do which makes any journey fun. Or you can just fast travel to anywhere you've already been.

I know I'd love all the Forza games but as a PS4er I'm lumbered with Gran Turismo Sport.

Just now, Chris2K said:

It's pretty good but there's no difference between driving one type of car to another, for example  there's very little difference between driving a 1960s muscle car and a brand new Lamborghini.

Bah, I like a bit of variety when it comes to the cars. I really fancy the new Forza but I heard some disconcerting things about it. 

59 minutes ago, Liam said:

I'm complaining about games where its so difficult the games are broken. None of the games you mentioned fall into that category.

And it's not pandering to open your game up to a wider audience, like at all. Dark Souls would be fine with an easy mode, the developer made some noise about wanting to put it in, but the 'Git Gud' crowd are literally the worst gaming related fandom outside of gamergate and threw a fit.

And adding an easy mode isn't removing the difficulty either, it's not like adding an easy mode means they'll take out the others. That's frankly inane.

• Like 1