Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

I didn't play Madden for the longest time but picked up 25 on a whim but have barely touched it due to it being EA and basically Online is the way to play. I still play NFL2k5 though. Was such a good game then and even now I think it holds up.

Should note that I am not American and don't actually follow the sport.

Edited by Rocky

9 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Kingdom Hearts is pretty freaking daft...and not in a good way.

rn870.jpg

Kingdom Hearts is pretty much the only reason I still understand the wonder of Disney.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 02:44, MadJack said:

Clicking the "Buy Game" link takes you to a dead page.  This says the game was pulled.  Steam still sells easy trophy games

12 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Rocket League was ruined by the MLG crowd.

Kingdom Hearts is pretty freaking daft...and not in a good way.

I wouldn't say ruined, but yeah I'm not a fan.

KH I agree with, mostly because of the weird mix of Disney and Square-Enix. I feel like if it was just one or the other it would actually be a game I might like.

The mix of Disney and Square Enix I don't mind so much - it's weird, but it's the premise, I'll let it slide. What I find bizarre about the whole series is that you'd think a Disney crossover would be to appeal to younger games, and to be a bit of a gateway drug to more complex RPGs, but then the over-arcing narrative is the most labyrinthine, convoluted mess imaginable, far moreso than anything in the Final Fantasy series, and almost impossible to follow within a single game, let alone across the entire franchise. Yet, in the midst of all that RPG pseudo-philosophical storytelling, they remember it's Disney, so just go, "oh yeah, and Pete's the bad guy".

21 minutes ago, Skummy said:

The mix of Disney and Square Enix I don't mind so much - it's weird, but it's the premise, I'll let it slide. What I find bizarre about the whole series is that you'd think a Disney crossover would be to appeal to younger games, and to be a bit of a gateway drug to more complex RPGs, but then the over-arcing narrative is the most labyrinthine, convoluted mess imaginable, far moreso than anything in the Final Fantasy series, and almost impossible to follow within a single game, let alone across the entire franchise. Yet, in the midst of all that RPG pseudo-philosophical storytelling, they remember it's Disney, so just go, "oh yeah, and Pete's the bad guy".

Yeah, when I was friends with J he was obsessed with it, and he'd go on for ages about endless narratives where I was just like "what the fuck are you talking about?" Made him happy though which was nice, though I still took the chance to tease him like friends do :lol:

It's one of those games I wish I got the obsession with, because it does seem fun, but it just never clicked with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skummy said:

Not only does the story unfold over several games, but several systems too. It's less of a problem now that a pair of compilations have been released on PS3 and PS4 (although people planning to buy Kingdom Hearts 3 on Xbox One might be a little stuck), but, back in the day, you'd have needed a PS2, Gameboy Advance, DS, PSP and 3DS to play all the games and experience the full story. As you said, you'd have thought that the inclusion of Disney characters would target youngsters looking for a first RPG experience, but the need to have almost every console under the sun is quite a barrier to entry for children - and, indeed, anyone else.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VerBlood Drive said:

Madden is fucking trash. The NFL 2K games were awesome and it still pisses me off that those EA cocksuckers monopolized the NFL games. 

This.

ESPN NFL 2K5 is still better in 2017 than any Madden game I have played (which is most).

Reading 2K5 makes me feel so old. It doesn't look right or sound right if you say it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I'm not sure I even really liked Football games when those were out. What was so great about them?

I loved everything. I thought the graphics were smoother, presentation was better, and the overall game just played better. Madden has always felt clunky and odd to me (going back to Sega Genesis). 

Hell, I'd settle for 2K getting college football...

But yeah, NFL 2K on Dreamcast initially was a ton of fun.

14 minutes ago, VerBlood Drive said:

I loved everything. I thought the graphics were smoother, presentation was better, and the overall game just played better. Madden has always felt clunky and odd to me (going back to Sega Genesis). 

Hell, I'd settle for 2K getting college football...

But yeah, NFL 2K on Dreamcast initially was a ton of fun.

For me, Madden always felt too arcadey. 

2K games just felt, right.

Same with FIFA and PES. FIFA has all the shiny graphics etc, but it just doesn’t feel like a proper simulation of football. Or, soccer...

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

Pete's just a comedy relief goon for Maleficent though. She's the biggest bad of the Disney characters and gets as serious as any of the FF characters without looking off.

My favorite example of KH absurdity is one of my favorite game moments.

Yes, that is Donald Duck and a child crying over Goofy's apparently dead body as Mickey Mouse flies into a homicidal rage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

I wouldn't, but I'm against anyone getting college football unless the athletes are compensated for the use of their name and images (not that the NCAA will ever allow that, scumbags that they are).

I don't even need names. Just team names. 

Christ, I'd settle for some made up shit. 

2k5 was fun. I had it on Xbox, which allowed players to import their own music to use for the stadium sounds. I remember being excited about the prospect of this becoming a standard feature for games on the next generation, but, all these years later, it hasn't come to be. It's only really MLB: The Show that does it nowadays.

36 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

2k5 was fun. I had it on Xbox, which allowed players to import their own music to use for the stadium sounds. I remember being excited about the prospect of this becoming a standard feature for games on the next generation, but, all these years later, it hasn't come to be. It's only really MLB: The Show that does it nowadays.

I always used Westside Connection's Bow Down in my games 😒

On 11/8/2017 at 15:09, Azazel said:

The best game based on a movie is The Warriors

Is this really unpopular? Because I feel the same way.