Sign in to follow this  
fredmion

Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

...animal crossing looks real boring...

Like, I'm happy that its bringing such joy to people right now, but a friend of mine keeps trying to convince me to buy it and, like, its 60 bucks to pay off your landlord and catch bugs. I've lived in enough shitty housing that I do not need that experience thank yoooou

So I am in chapter 5 of RDR2, and I won't spoil a thing.

But i'm just... done, I feel like I have no desire to continue the game anymore. The game feels tedious, the story goes in circles which i know is part of the theme, but it's just frustrating and annoying.

- Missions devolve into a shootathon where you just shoot people over and over again for no real purpose other than 'we need to throw baddies at you to shoot'.
- Into chapter 5, I genuinely feel the developers had no clue what they had to write so they just jumped the shark with an absurd side plot with even more ridiculous set pieces.
- Antagonists feel super underdeveloped, a bunch of them were swept aside in 2-3 missions because whilst the game is brutally slow and plodding, the storyline feels like it's blitzing through at the same time.
- Many interesting side characters get little to no character development, they get no real defining moments where you start caring for them. Then when they get killed or something bad happens them, it's done quick and for the dramas, but they don't give you a proper time to let it sink in because we have to go into another shooting gallery.
-- Again, I know that the 'we need to keep moving' is part of the overarching theme, but a few deaths completely fell flat for me, including two involving two of my favourite side characters.
- Arthur and Dutch shine, but they get all the time to shine. The other characters, including the ones you know from RDR1, they just feel like cardboard cutouts. They're there in spirit only, because they barely get a chance to really show any character because you gotta go into another shootout.
- The world is way too large, large to the point where it's just not fun anymore. Having to travel 5-15 minutes from one place to the next got boring quick and I find myself fast traveling, which still isn't fast enough because they had to make the travel cinematic!
- Collecting and hunting is tedious to straight up frustrating. Gotta find a 3* animal, gotta shoot it the right way, then skin it, to travel across the world to the handful of trappers or your base.
-- Oh, I see you shot one of the fifty large animals you need to hunt, well, your horse can only carry one at a time, so have fun traveling 15 minutes to drop off that carcass. Now go do it 49 more times if you want to get to that 100%
- The controls are garbage, you move like you're stuck in pigshit, shootouts is just doing L2+R2 a lot of times. The horses are finicky where you keep running into a tree or another object at full speed.
- The core system is a bother rather than a boon. You never know whether you're overweight or underweight, and it just feels like the deadeye core is there to annoy you rather than keep your god-tier shooting in check.
- The bounty system is a ballache. You make a mistake, you get a massive bounty which you can only lose by paying the troll toll or getting arrested after you donated all your money to Dutch and Co.
- TRAVELING IS THE GODDAMN WORST. Having to travel in the missions itself takes 5 more minutes, then the mission is done in 5 more. Guess what, enjoy riding another 5 minutes for your next mission. Rinse, Repeat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a masterpiece in many ways. The world is gorgeous, Arthur is a great protag albeit he's the classic rockstar doormat who does everything with only the occassional grumble or whinge. The customisation and the sense of realism to the world is nothing else.

But the game is also tedious, boring, and has many of the pitfalls that all the modern Rockstar games suffer from. A blind obsession with scope, a story that has good moments but they're all fleeting and missions that are either shootouts from the start, or devolve into shootouts.

RDR2 is the most boring and tedious masterpiece i've ever played.

I'm at the end of Chapter 5, and I am just... I have no desire to play on towards the end, even though it's pretty close.

I liked RDR1 better. The story was more enjoyable, and whilst it was also a shooutout simulator like every Rockstar open world game, it just felt like the story was going somewhere rather than the circles RDR2 has you running in.

• Like 1

Everything you just said is wrong.

Just riding around, hunting and fishing is one of the best parts of the game.

• Like 3

I hot so bored of it I never left the snow. Game was dull.

• Like 1

I can see how it could burn you out with how long and slow it is but I still think its one of the best games I've ever played. For sheer immersion and getting drawn into a character, nothing comes close.

• Like 4

Yup, it's my favourite game of all time to be honest.

It's so vast that there are different ways to play it, different approaches you can take so I can see why some people don't enjoy it, but it just was the perfect blend of story, character and gameplay for me. I love it so much.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gazz said:

Everything you just said is wrong.

Just riding around, hunting and fishing is one of the best parts of the game.

I spent probably 20-30 hours just enjoying the game and doing traveling, hunting, collecting bounties, catching horses, and trying to find hidden stuff.

But after those hours I realized I barely put a dent in anything, and with how plodding the game is, I just went 'ugh, I will continue the story, then'.

I'm genuinely glad others can spend more time in the game, but after a while the game felt more like a chore to get through than an interesting journey. Especially my issues with hunting, which involves a stupid amount of backtracking because there's only 1 vendor for every region where I can sell my kills, took a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The game is beautiful and damn fun to just get lost in. But it has some real asshole design elements to it that were put in for 'the realisms', but the only thing it really does is make the game (significantly) artificially longer.

Hell, I even set up an excel spreadsheet tracking my hunting stuff, so I could track all my hunting requirements. And some expectations are insane. Like getting 16 perfect rat pelts, or finding a buttload of tiny bird species I had to take out for their feathers.

I get that it's supposed to be a challenge, but at a certain point it becomes tedious and annoying rather than a liberating trek...

idk, maybe i'll pick it up when my frustrations with the game have cooled off a bit. Because like I said, it's an utterly brilliant game, one of the best ever made. But it definitely overstays its welcome in some areas.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Like getting 16 perfect rat pelts, or finding a buttload of tiny bird species I had to take out for their feathers.

This is how I spend my weekends. :lol:

As someone who 100%d RDR1 and GTA5, there was no fucking way I was going to 100% RDR2.

Fun game to play and finish, not to complete.

33 minutes ago, Gazz said:

This is how I spend my weekends. :lol:

It's fun and games until you realize the only way to find good rats is to roam through St. Denis and you get a shootout with the cops for every rat you catch.

I like RDR2 because it’s long, tedious and boring. I don’t really like games where things happen. I only did the story missions though. All the collecting stuff is too tedious even for me.

I got bored of Red Dead too. Too slow and every time I went back, by the time I got aclimatised to it again, I was bored again.

I've played, completed and loved bascially every other Rockstar game too. This was just a bit too much

5 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

It's fun and games until you realize the only way to find good rats is to roam through St. Denis and you get a shootout with the cops for every rat you catch.

Limpany, the burnt out town has them.

I'm very middle of the ground on RDR2. For every positive there's a negative of almost equal value. It's a technical masterpiece, but it's certainly a flawed one, and one of many games this generation that struggles to understand that "open world" doesn't mean you have to have a lot of blank spaces. just to make the world bigger. If we're talking a total package, RDR1 has it beaten with no doubt.

I think I prefer Days Gone to RDR2 in all honesty. There are things Rockstar have done better, and it does feel a lot more polished but I'm enjoying the story and world of DG more. 

Games suffer more than benefit from the evolution of online play.

Sports games in particular have seen a huge dip in improvements as online play evolves. Game developing has become more about how much money, beyond the initial purchase price, you can get the suckers to drop on your game... which means that resources are allocated to those modes specifically, and improvements to any offline modes typically are things that come up during the work on the online modes.

It's also made it increasingly more difficult to find good couch co-op games over the years, as developers focused more on the online interactions than in-person interactions.

I don't hate online gaming. It isn't usually for me, and it's rare that I play anything online, but I do understand the appeal for others. Sometimes it sounds like I hate online gaming though, because I really just hate anything that's designed to vacuum up money from a customer base that typically shouldn't be dropping $20-$100 a month on online mode content. When I was running an EB Games store, I would regularly see people come in and spend their money on GTA Shark Cards, or network gift cards so that they could buy that shit, knowing full well that it would leave them with barely any money for food or their rent. It can be an addiction, and the industry really is just taking advantage of those people.

I once had a guy buy $200 worth of PSN gift cards just for NHL's Ultimate Team mode, at the same time he bought the game at full price... and then about an hour later when I went to grab lunch at the grocery store in our mall, I saw him buying a bag of potatoes, using small change... and he laughed and told me that's all he could afford for the next two weeks.

While I personally believe that everyone is responsible for their actions regardless of circumstances that led to it, I do still empathize with people when I know they're being wronged or taken advantage of... and the online gaming business really is just a predator that feeds on those people.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

- The core system is a bother rather than a boon. You never know whether you're overweight or underweight, and it just feels like the deadeye core is there to annoy you rather than keep your god-tier shooting in check.

I tried to keep up with that core system for about 2 hours, then stopped giving a shit about it.  Felt like it really had no impact on the game at all

• Like 1

Add me to the list of "online gaming has killed local co-op" people. The last few driving games for PS+ have been online only, as was the most recent (probably 5 year old...) SSX. I wasted hours shaving seconds off runs against my brother on SSX Tricky and 3, playing on my own just isn't the same. Doubly so at the moment while we're all indoors, while the new Crash Team is great and so is Overcooked, I'd love to play a grown up driving game split screen.

• Like 1

You'd need an Xbox but the newer Forza games have split-screen.

Oh, also: I'm apparently the only one who sees that Dragon FighterZ doesn't have any clothes on.