Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

30 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It's pretty good but there's no difference between driving one type of car to another, for example  there's very little difference between driving a 1960s muscle car and a brand new Lamborghini.

The free world aspect is great in the sense that the world is a scaled down version of the USA with all the big landmarks there to see, so if you have half an hour to spare you can drive from the east coast of Maine to the west coast of California (and get an achievement for doing so).

There are also hundreds of mini trial events spread out all over the place to do which makes any journey fun. Or you can just fast travel to anywhere you've already been.

I know I'd love all the Forza games but as a PS4er I'm lumbered with Gran Turismo Sport.

That's what I felt about The Crew when I got it for free earlier this year. Pretty damn fun to drive around a miniaturized version of the USA and going from city to city, but it all felt so dry and straight-laced in terms of story, and the cars didn't have any character to them other than having a different shape and/or speed.

Also the rally-raid stuff where you had to go off-road to bash other cars was infuriating, especially when it were required parts.

Forza Horizon 3 on the other hand is the lord of open world racing games, with the only issue is that it has no real story to speak of. There is just such a massive amount of options you can go with, and the fact you can edit most if not all races to suit your flavour (e.g. turn a Dune Buggy race into a Rally-cross style race because buggy's are a mess) just makes it so much more fun and accessible to everyone.

now an unpopular opinion for me. 'huge' open world games are overrated, and only a small amount really make it work. I have never gotten into TES or the modern Fallout games because they're just too vast for me. And even touted open world games like GTA are kinda overrated because interesting spots are sparse in a world of just barren nothingness. I don't give a fuck about giant swathes of 'wilderness' when you get outside of Los Santos. Whereas GTA4's world felt a lot tighter because it was just all city, with different 'tastes' of architecture in different parts of teh city.

At the same time, GTA5 was overrated and the story is easily the least memorable of the 3D era. I didn't like Trevor's sadistic manchild-y ways, Michael was a prick (although at least he had some personal story that was interesting), and Franklin was a caricature of a black criminal. I didn't care for the 'villains', and the only allies I remember are Lester and Lamar.

After I finished GTA5's singleplayer I never touched it again, whereas all its predecessors I have played through multiple times because the characters are lovely. Even GTA4, which has a very memorable cast of side-characters.

GTA:Online is a huge cashgrab, but that's not an unpopular opinion.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

GTA5's storyline becomes instantly more awesome when you realize that the three main characters are essentially modern takes on Claude, Tommy, and CJ.

My unpopular opinion is Twitch or Lets Plays or whatever they are called. I actually don't know if this is a popular or not opinion, but whatever.

I don't get the appeal of watching someone else stream games. Usually they are annoying "personalities" that take forever to show you anything. And E-Sports as well. I really don't get it. 

10 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Forza Horizon 3 on the other hand is the lord of open world racing games, with the only issue is that it has no real story to speak of

I've never played a racing game that felt like it needed anything more than a basic story. MAN DRIVES, MAN DRIVES FAST, MAN WINS THIGNGS! is good enough for me. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I'm complaining about games where its so difficult the games are broken. None of the games you mentioned fall into that category.

I'm still waiting for you to name a game. Legitimately, I don't actually know what games you are talking about.

As for the Souls stuff, I'd argue that the lore/storyline etc is pretty meh/weak, so the game without the challenge would probably force them into actually producing a better overarching story.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

My unpopular opinion is Twitch or Lets Plays or whatever they are called. I actually don't know if this is a popular or not opinion, but whatever.

The one thing I'll give this credit for is that I tend to use them when unsure as to whether to buy a game or not, especially games which aren't well represented in terms of reviews.

My own legitimate unpopular opinion - GTA was never as much fun as it had been as soon as it turned 3D.

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

The one thing I'll give this credit for is that I tend to use them when unsure as to whether to buy a game or not, especially games which aren't well represented in terms of reviews.

I can understand that. But what I mean is actually just sitting down for an evening of watching someone else play CS:GO or whatever it is people watch/play. 

7 minutes ago, MDK said:

I can understand that. But what I mean is actually just sitting down for an evening of watching someone else play CS:GO or whatever it is people watch/play. 

I watch LP's, and the things I watch are mostly play throughs of games that I personally don't have the time/desire to play myself. Which tend to be older games, RPG's of various flavours, and anything else that has a story.

Personally I don't follow the abrasive shouty kinds of LPers either, just the people who are clearly enjoying themselves and are bringing others into it. It's just an extra addition to the story, and sometimes I watch people play games i've already played because they might add something unique (e.g. a guy doing a gunslinger run in KOTOR).

Stuff like PUBG, CSGO, LoL, DOTA, Rocket League I can't watch because the competitive stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest. But somebody faffing about in My Summer Car I can certainly spend a few hours watching, at the very least it's some side-sound when i'm busy with other things on my main screen.

Edited by Jasonmufc

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I'm not trying to prove anything; it is just an issue that I can't really understand. There was then the additional 'people who revel in the difficulty of these games are tosspots' style responses so I'm just wondering what people expect.

In short - I'm trying to engage in discussion on a discussion board.

I wouldn't say the people who revel in the difficulty of these games are tosspots. People who look down on others who aren't as good as them certainly are, however. The reason I brought up Divinity: Original Sin 2 wasn't because it's an in-depth RPG that people looking for that sort of thing like. I'm glad those sorts of games exist. I'd just rather the whole "go back to Bioware games because you're too thick to understand this" attitude (which is rather prevalent among that game's fanbase) went away.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I watch LP's, and the things I watch are mostly play throughs of games that I personally don't have the time/desire to play myself. Which tend to be older games, RPG's of various flavours, and anything else that has a story.

Personally I don't follow the abrasive shouty kinds of LPers either, just the people who are clearly enjoying themselves and are bringing others into it. It's just an extra addition to the story, and sometimes I watch people play games i've already played because they might add something unique (e.g. a guy doing a gunslinger run in KOTOR).

Stuff like PUBG, CSGO, LoL, DOTA, Rocket League I can't watch because the competitive stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest. But somebody faffing about in My Summer Car I can certainly spend a few hours watching, at the very least it's some side-sound when i'm busy with other things on my main screen.

I get the idea but it just has zero appeal to me. 

• Like 1

I'm not big on LPers either myself. I'll watch some Markiplier stuff, and liked Danger Dolan's as well. That's about it.

Just now, Apsham said:

I don't see why people are shitting on Souls and Souls-like games. Not every game is going to be for every person.

Yeah... I don't care for them myself either but I can understand the appeal.

1 minute ago, Apsham said:

I don't see why people are shitting on Souls and Souls-like games. Not every game is going to be for every person.

I don't think people are criticising the games themselves. They're just saying that they wish there was an easy mode alongside the standard one.

I don't play them too often - mostly on release, but when I get into them I really get into them super hard. That's what I like about them - trying to know a game inside and out, and finding out that something that you thought was terribly hard might not have been. Getting out of your comfort zone too is something that people have a hard time with, but Souls exists to be something that doesn't hold your hand - the systems of the game have rules that need to be followed and Bloodborne was absolutely amazing because it flipped that all around. It wasn't about defense anymore, it was attack and attack as soon as you can.

Just now, Bobfoc said:

I don't think people are criticising the games themselves. They're just saying that they wish there was an easy mode alongside the standard one.

I dunno, calling down people who like Souls and calling into question their marketing - which isn't even how they're marketed - is pretty straightforward.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I would appreciate it more for that. But what I really want is, well. For them to be more like Bayonetta.