Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

1 minute ago, Apsham said:

I dunno, calling down people who like Souls and calling into question their marketing - which isn't even how they're marketed - is pretty straightforward.

I don't know about their marketing, but the criticism has been directed towards the Souls fans who look down their nose at others. There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking games like that and, as with Divinity, I'm glad they exist for those who like them. I like to think that most fans are sensible enough to live and let live, but it's the minority who balk at the idea of adding a completely optional easy mode that get on my nerves. It wouldn't affect their experience and would open the game up to a potentially wider audience.

Just now, Chuck Tingle said:

More half-naked witches with magic hair suits? :(Y):

I meant more dialogue, characters that aren't blank slates, and not trying to be so damn SRS BUSINESS.

But sure, that too.

• Like 1

Just now, OctoberRavenO said:

I would appreciate it more for that. But what I really want is, well. For them to be more like Bayonetta.

I'm a bit like that with Pokemon. I think I'd like it more if it changed to a real-time combat system, but I accept that it wouldn't be a good move because it would go against what the dedicated fans like.

20 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I enjoyed Oblivion more than Skyrim. I accept that Skyrim is technically superior in every way, but I just enjoyed Oblivion's colours, environments and sense of wonder more. Although I do still really like Skyrim, going from one snowy place to another didn't quite have the same feel to it.

I also think the notion that Rare has been awful since being purchased by Microsoft is inaccurate. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a fun, quirky game, as was Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Kameo was decent too. Viva Pinata was downright fantastic.

Agreed. At this point in time I'd opt for Skyrim simply because it's a more polished game with better combat/graphics. But Oblivion blew my mind when I first played it, it was my first time playing something that open and letting you do what you want. 

I'd love to see another TES in Cyrodil, it was such a bright and vibrant area compared to Skyrim which is pretty drab. 

I love both of course. Hell, I'd even take an updated version of Oblivion that adopted the mechanics of Skyrim.

Gears of War was fucking awful. 

I also don't like "hard" games. I'm a pretty casual gamer so I like to wreck shit and leave. A challenge is cool but I get bored of being stuck on something because a game is just a fucking unforgiving bit of madness. Yes, I always play on easy and don't care if that's not cool or whatever.

Another unpopular opinion.

I have never been interested in the Bioshock universe. I got Infinite for free once, played it for 40 minutes and never looked at it again because it just didn't interest me one bit. Same went with the original Bioshock, which I think I played 2 hours at best.

I dunno why, but I just don't see the big deal in the series. Steampunk just doesn't do it for me at all, even though i'm a massive fan of cyberpunk.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Another unpopular opinion.

I have never been interested in the Bioshock universe. I got Infinite for free once, played it for 40 minutes and never looked at it again because it just didn't interest me one bit. Same went with the original Bioshock, which I think I played 2 hours at best.

I dunno why, but I just don't see the big deal in the series. Steampunk just doesn't do it for me at all, even though i'm a massive fan of cyberpunk.

I've only played Infinite but I enjoyed the story and all that but I found the actual gameplay really linear and boring.

6 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Don't get me started on the Dark Souls "git gud" crowd. Everytime I hear someone use that phrase unironically I want to punch that person on the face. Being good at Dark Souls or any other "hardcore" game doesn't make you a better persone than anybody else you pathetic, worthless assholes!

I'd argue that SmackDown 2: Know Your Role was a pretty good game but other than that there weren't any decent non-AKI wrestling games. The Acclaim wrestling games were all aweful. On the WCW front you had Nitro and Thunder (which was pretty much just Nitro with a new menu skin, an updated roster, slightly more match options and new pick-me skits) which were both terrible. Mayhem was a step in the right direction but it still left a lot to be desired. And Backstage Assault is a contender for "worst wrestling game of all time" award. You also had WrestleMania: The Arcade Game and In Your House but are Mortal Kombat-like fighting games.

WCW vs The World was fun as hell.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OctoberRavenO said:

The only part of The Last of Us I enjoyed was the prologue.

Hell, the prologue was the only reason I bothered seeing it through to the end. If it wasn't as well executed as it was, I'd have given up on TLOU about a third of the way in.

Also: MGS4 did not make me like Raiden. Instead, I liked him even less.

I feel like MGS4 was the worst of the series.  The stealth aspect was incredibly underplayed, the Laughing Beauties/SNAKEHOUND unit was so generic and uninteresting, and the storyline itself was stupid.  Its the only game in the MGS series I never wanted to replay after beating it

18 minutes ago, Lint said:

I feel like MGS4 was the worst of the series.  The stealth aspect was incredibly underplayed, the Laughing Beauties/SNAKEHOUND unit was so generic and uninteresting, and the storyline itself was stupid.  Its the only game in the MGS series I never wanted to replay after beating it

I mean, it didn't help that MGS4 had to explain the fever dream that was MGS2.

For me, the big issues with it were the "Old Man Ache" mechanic, the absurdly long cutscenes, and everything to do with Raiden.

I mean, Raiden was still the same annoying, whiny bishounen guy that everyone hated. They just made him louder, angrier and with access to foot-katanas and when he wasn't on screen everyone went "Where's Raiden?".

Snakes pep talk to Raiden in the base was legit the worst moment in the entire series for me. Snake should have been more like "Motherfucker I'm going to drop dead any moment and my only family is Otacon. I've also been in like fifty times as many battles as you have and unlike you, I don't have a life to go back to. And you don't see me moping about it like a teenager whose parents told them they couldn't go to the concert because they didn't mow the lawn. Take whatever we're using as a healing item in this game and let's keep going."

Edited by OctoberRavenO

I liked Revenge better, though the fact that Ric Flair wasn't in that game at all was a shame.

Yeah, Revenge was the better game, graphically/gameplay/and match type wise. But the omission of Flair did suck wee wees at the time.

I still play Revenge and No Mercy every so often. They're a blast to just pick up and play with a group of friends. No one gets confused as to what the hell is going on or how to do moves. So simple. 

I also remember all the crazy rumors that surrounded Revenge. Namely the super-secret cage match.

And I was more interested in trying to figure out if that truck driver dude was unlockable.