Arsenal Thread

TMM

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has been confirmed as the Gunners' new captain.

Henry, 27, replaces his French international team-mate Patrick Vieira as skipper, after Vieira joined Juventus on Friday in a £13.75m deal.

Henry has been at Arsenal for six years after joining from Juve for £10.5m and is on the brink of breaking Ian Wright's goals record for the club.

He skippered the side for the first time in his official role in their 4-1 friendly victory against Barnet.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry is always shouting at players, all the time. And he always gives people who don't pass when a player is in a better position a really dirty look.

And when he is pissed off he does his mad charge to get the ball from inside our own half, I love it when he does that, it is awesome. He will make a fantastic skipper.

Also, Pascal Cygan can fuck off. Hleb scored on his debut. :D

And we have Phillipe Cristanval or however you spell his name on trial, I remember when he had so much potential but never ever fulfilled it, wouldn't be a terrible signing if we did sign him. He is better than Cygan.

Personally I don't think Cygan is as bad as people make him out to be. His problem is that he seems to panic so much which causes mistakes. If he can get that under control I think he could be a pretty damn good player in all honesty.

I'm still wondering whether Arsenal will bring in a really big name soon or not. For some reason I don't think they will. I was watching the Premiership Years on Sky Sports earlier from the 1999 season and although you don't really need more strikers, I'd still love to see Anelka back there. Good god that guy was deadly back then.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

He can have a good game, but I don't like to point it out because he usually fucks up, see Middlesboro at home last season, someone commented on him playing well, Bam - we're losing.

But what a fucking game that was.

Hleb scored within 2 minutes against Barnet yesterday, its only Barnet but apparently he looked pretty solid.

I'm still wondering whether Arsenal will bring in a really big name soon or not. For some reason I don't think they will. I was watching the Premiership Years on Sky Sports earlier from the 1999 season and although you don't really need more strikers, I'd still love to see Anelka back there. Good god that guy was deadly back then.

Personally I don't think Cygan is as bad as people make him out to be. His problem is that he seems to panic so much which causes mistakes. If he can get that under control I think he could be a pretty damn good player in all honesty.

Me too. (H) Was fun.

I wouldn't mind him back at Liverpool.

What are the Arsenal fans views on Ashley Cole now?

Well, as long as he plays as well as he can I don't have a problem. I don't know the whole story about the Chelsea thing. If he does leave next summer, as long as we get £25m-plus I don't care, we have Clichy.

I recognise that Ashley Cole is the best leftback in Europe and will be for years to come, but if he wants to leave, he can fuck off. Gael Clichy fits me fine.

I think Cole will leave next summer. I am 90% sure of that.

Also, because Almunia has broken his finger, looks as though this has forced Wenger into looking for a keeper seeing as we would have to play Mannone or Howard for our first two European games. I have seen Westerveld linked, apparently he rejected though because he doesn't want to play second fiddleto Lehmann. Another is Kiely, I wouldn't mind him as a short term solution tbh, we could do a lot worse.

But I want Isaksson, he would be quality.

About the Mourinho/Fergie accusation of us running fixtures so we get easy games after European games btw, someone came up with this, since Champion's League games from 1998/99, some bloke worked out the percentage of home league games after a European game.

Team Played Followed by Percentage

Arsenal 64 34 home - 30 away 53%

Manchester United 87 47 home - 40 away 54%

Chelsea 40 22 home - 18 away 55%

So yeh, Mourinho and Fergies usual blabber.

On Ashley Cole, I thought it was a bit funny that he eventually did a u-turn and signed a contract not long after we handed Gael Clichy one and sorted out his long term future. I think he might realise now that losing him, especially after Vieira being sold, really wouldn't be the end of the world for us. I've said before, Cole is better than Clichy, but Clichy is better at his age than Cole ever was...if that makes sense.

Apparently Owen Hargreaves could be on his way, it's in the papers at least. I wouldn't mind him to be honest, he played well in centre midfield early on in the World Cup before getting injured. He'd be a good squad player too who could fill in in quite a few positions should we need him to.

Edited by supergrass

I despise Owen Hargreaves, he's slow, he's clumsy and he's shit, if thats Wengers idea of a replacement for Vieira, he needs to die.

He'd be expensive, even though he's not a first team player for them, otherwise he'd of made his way into England already, he's too anonymous for my liking, he has no presense, I'd sooner blow more money on Jenas and I dislike Jenas too.

We need someone solid, we need them soon.

I would agree a more established, solid player is what we need, I think Wenger is keeping Hargreaves as a back up plan if Newcastle don't lower the price of Jenas.

In all the transfer speculation has Wenger forgotten we really could do with a goalkeeper and defender too?