Arsenal Thread

TMM

Well, he is looking for a keeper.

I don't expect him to sign a replacement for Vieira. I think he will play Hleb there, because I don't see where else he will play. Ljungberg had a good season last year if you remember and he shouldn't be dropped. Playing Hleb with Gilberto could work a treat, like playing Keane and Scholes did for United.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, this guy is a right steal. I mean, he cost half of what SWP cost and he is just as good.

He reminds me a lot of Pires in a way, before he was injured. I love the clip when he just tears through Bayern Munich's defense, that is just class.

I can't fucking wait to see him in an Arsenal shirt tbh.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

From what I hear, its him saying he wants to come to us, simply for the fact that he'd cost too much and is dating a transsexual, he can fuck off. The last thing we need are freaks and geeks.

According to TalkSport, David Dein has flown to Spain to complete the signings of Julio Baptista and Guti.

Also, we beat that side 5-0 tonight, Henry scored two, one was a stunner apparently, Flamini got one, so did Bentley and Pires got the other I think.

That Song guy was also apparently really solid and lots of people think we should sign him.

Now, Hleb looks as though he is going to be wearing the number 6 shirt, which is very interesting to see. If he does, good to see if given to someone in another position so people won't make comparisons.

Guti fails to attract the interest of Wenger

ARSÈNE WENGER, the Arsenal manager, categorically ruled out a bid for Guti, the Real Madrid midfield player, last night. The player’s agent had suggested that his client would be interested in reinforcing a Highbury midfield depleted by the sale of Patrick Vieira to Juventus, but Wenger was unequivocal. “These things are either yes or no, and it’s no,” he said.

His existing squad continued a gentle build-up to what could be a testing season with a 5-0 stroll past SC Weiz, a fourth-division team composed of semi-professionals, in the first game of their three-match Austrian tour. Alexandre Song, the Cameroonian midfield player who is on trial with the club, was given an extended chance to show his worth, although he can expect far tougher tests if Wenger decides to invest the €4 million (about £2.8 million) that Bastia, his club, are asking.

Thierry Henry scored two of the Arsenal goals while Mathieu Flamini, David Bentley and Dennis Bergkamp were also on target.

Phew. Hopefully Dein is finalising Baptista's move though. Fingers crossed.

And yeh, those were some sexy goals earlier, Henrys was amazing, and Pires' setup for Bentleys goal was (H). Give him a 2 year deal ffs.

Edited by Gooner4Life

So, according to several sources, all over Arsenal forums and in the Spanish press and according to some Sevilla official. We have agreed terms with Sevilla to sign Baptista. It is just up to the player now to decide whether he wants to join or not.

We should find out more today.

Fingers crossed.

Pretty sure he would be a striker.

We have needed a big pysical presence up front for ages now, and he would fit the bill perfectly.

Egdar Davids and Oliver Dacourt are said to be top of our list to replace Vieira at the moment. I would prefer Davids over Dacourt anyday.

I don't want either of those anywhere near our centre midfield. Neither of them are the players they were, I'd be happier with Fabregas and Flamini being given a go. They've both got a little bit of experience over the past year and I think they'd be ready to at least share the position between the two of them.

I'd be happy with Hleb being thrown in there, and if not him, then definately Fabregas with Flamini as cover. We may as well use these youngsters......after all, it's pretty much how Wenger has built Arsenal up to what it is today. We don't need to splash a ton of cash or buy aging midfielders.

I'd say it's defenders this team needs. We have the midfielders to get by, but an injury or two to our central defenders and we're in the shit again. Add to that there's still speculation over Campbell staying and despite how promising he is, Senderos isn't the finished article yet. We seem to be in the same position as when the last season ended. We still need a goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and possibly forward.

It is a bit of a joke really.

Over at the Arsenal-Mania forums, there is 182 page thread about the Baptista saga. It is getting too much. Just sign already ffs, please.

Same thing happened with Trabelsi and Kewell but they never joined. Glad Kewell didn't now, but back then I really wanted him to join us.

EDIT:

Julio Baptista's 'will he, won't he' transfer saga with Arsenal continued on Friday with the Brazilian forward giving fresh hope to the Gunners by rounding angrily on Sevilla fans who booed him in a friendly.

The 23-year-old has yet to make up his mind on his future - Arsène Wenger believes it is 50-50 whether he chooses Arsenal - but it looks certain he will not be staying at Sevilla.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein is monitoring the Baptista situation but will move for another target should the Brazilian opt to stay in Spain - Barcelona are also courting him.

Torres anyone?

Arsenal moved a step closer to signing a forward but have a problem at the other end after it was revealed that goalkeeper Manuel Almunia had broken a finger.

David Dein, the Arsenal vice-chairman, has agreed a fee with Sevilla for Brazilian forward Julio Baptista, believed to be £12 million, rising to £14 million. Dein left Spain without the player's agreement and is hoping he will decide to accept the offer rather than fly to China with Sevilla this weekend.

Arsenal, who are also believed to have made inquiries about veteran Holland international Edgar Davids as a potential short-term replacement for Patrick Vieira, must now attend to a goalkeeping problem.

With Graham Stack joining Reading on a season's loan and Stuart Taylor moving to Aston Villa, Arsenal need cover for Jens Lehmann, who is suspended for the first two Champions League games after UEFA banned him for throwing a water bottle against Bayern Munich last season.

source: telegraph.co.uk

So, I think the news will come through tomorrow as Sevilla leave for their tour of Chine tomorrow or Sunday.

Let's hope he chooses us.

Edited by Gooner4Life