Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Baptista deal is dragging on for a fair amount of time. Seems he wants to be in Spain until at least August when he can qualify for a Spanish passport. That would help us out as well, not having to worry about his non-EU nationality and the whole work-pemit thing.

Hopefully the deal will still be going though, although Sevilla have confirmed we'll be paying more than we did for Reyes (£17.5m). Considering we've already spent £10m on Hleb, this is becoming one of the most expensive summers in Arsenal history!

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Apparently we made a late bid for Proto too, but it was too late, we should of gotten him, especially since he just cost a cool £500k.

August is next week, so you never know, I ignore all news regarding it now though, since its the most boring transfer chase in footballing history.

This Baptista thing is going on too long.

Now Marca have got some old quotes from Baptista and re-done them because Madrid got hammered by some shitty team.

Also, we are going to be using black nets like Chelski did last season, this year. That is what has been said at Arsenal-Mania.

To be honest, we should have had red currant nets. (H)

Guest _sTe_

Yahoo.co.uk

Sevilla sell Baptista to Real Madrid

Fri 29 Jul, 6:44 PM

MADRID (Reuters) - Sevilla have agreed to sell Brazilian forward Julio Baptista to Real Madrid, the Primera Liga club said on Friday.

Sevilla said on their Web site they would receive a transfer fee of 20 million euros (565 million pounds), rising to 24.5 million, from Real for the player.

"The only logical decision was to sell him," Sevilla club president Jose Maria del Nido said.

Edited by _sTe_

Yahoo.co.uk 

MADRID (Reuters) - Sevilla have agreed to sell Brazilian forward Julio Baptista to Real Madrid, the Primera Liga club said on Friday.

Sevilla said on their Web site they would receive a transfer fee of 20 million euros (565 million pounds), rising to 24.5 million, from Real for the player.

"The only logical decision was to sell him," Sevilla club president Jose Maria del Nido said.

Well, looks likes thats over. Do Real need him though?

Edit - Although it looks as though their currency converter is on the blink.

I watched our win against Ajax last night at work and generally thought our first XI is looking very good, even though the squad may be a little bare in places.

Perhaps my only concern over our starting team was Lauren. Cristiano Ronaldo make him look stupid in the FA Cup final and he still struggles against decent wingers with a bit of pace. I wasn't convinced about moving Toure to right back but after seeing Lauren and not really getting any confidence from him I'd be more than happy to see us bring in a quality defender.

I don't think we're really missing out on Baptista, with Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes and van Persie contending for places. Lupoli is developing well too after last year's good run in the League Cup - just wondering how long he'll be prepared to wait for a chance to play because I don't think it'll come this year.

Is anyone else getting really annoyed by the amount of Arsenal.com that's getting put behind the barrier of subscribing to the new revamped Arsenal Online TV??

It seems like nearly every news story can now only be read if you're a subscriber!

Edited by TheArsenal

Yahoo.co.uk 

Well, looks likes thats over. Do Real need him though?

Edit - Although it looks as though their currency converter is on the blink.

Well, we won the Amsterdam Tournament with 2 goals from Ljungberg, who came off the bench. Pires has been playing in central midfield in some of our pre-season friendlies. I think he could play well there, as he has done for France, but it will further reduce the chances of Fabregas/Flamini of getting regular first team football.

Mind you, Pires will probably get injured on the opening day of the season.

Did you see Pires playing in the centre? he was rubbish, we struggled when he came off, but he was still terrible there. We need a strong, tackling defensive midfielder, not a fairy.

Was I the only one who thought Hleb looked a little nervous at times? He had some pretty bright moments on the ball but then sometimes he just looked as if he was wondering straight into defenders here and there. Maybe because it's one of his first games or something, not sure because it's the first time I've actually seen him play. He looks quite good just he seemed a little too hard pushing at times, that's just from the highlights they showed though.