Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry back in Arsenal squad

Arsenal have announced that Thierry Henry has been included in the squad to face Sparta Prague on Tuesday night.

The talismanic French striker has not featured for The Gunners since suffering an inflamed groin against Republic of Ireland on September 7.

But, in consideration of the ever-lengthening injury list at Highbury, Arsene Wenger has now drafted Henry into the squad for the Tuesday night Champions League clash.

Robin van Persie also makes the trip after missing Saturday's defeat against West Brom, while Gilberto is another returning absentee.

Freddie Ljungberg misses out due to a hamstring injury, however, and Denis Bergkamp will remain in England due to his flying phobia.

Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Alexander Hleb are also out.

Wright could have shined for England, Graham Taylor never gave him the chance. I like both though.

And Gooner, Henry will leave. Weren't Arsenal fans this past summer saying "Vieira isn't going to leave, it's the same rumour every year" etc? His goal last night was different class though.

I can't see Henry staying to be honest.

He's already done everything possible for Arsenal, there's really no reason to stay apart from loyalty, to which if he had any he would have already signed a new deal. Unless Arsenal make some major waves in Europe this season, I very much doubt Henry will be wearing an Arsenal shirt this time next year.

Done everything possible at Arsenal?

Has he won the Champion's League yet?

He has said time and time again he wants to stay and finish his career here and that it would mean so much for him to lead the team to CL glory for the first time.

I just can't see him leaving. With Vieira, there was always a chance he would leave. With Henry, it is a different matter imo.

With Vieira, he had at least 2 or 3 open chances to join Real Madrid and turned them down over those speculative summers. Though many thought he'd leave he didn't - when he was sold I understood it as being Arsene Wenger and the club's decision first.

Regardless of that, Vieira and Henry are a completely different story. I personally don't think Henry will leave. He's never really talked about playing his football anywhere else, and as has been mentioned in papers and so on he's settled in London, married and raising a child - though I think he'd stay purely for footballing reasons. He's always been 100% for the club, and if it does take until the summer I think he'll stay and sign up then. You can't blame him for wanting the opportunity to keep his options open at this point, still I can't see him leaving.

Could be wrong but the situation isn't something that really worries me too much right now ahead of other things.

Arsenal need him. Maybe he's just going to pull a Totti. Roma are hardly great anymore, yet Totti wouldn't leave the club for anything. Henry possibly see's Arsenal that way, or so the fans need to hope.

Could be like that, the thing is, I just don't know where else he'd fit in. I cant imagine him playing for someone like Barca, not sure why. Sure he's clearly got the talent for any team, but it just wouldn't feel right seeing him there. I think English football is where he wants to be, and outside of Arsenal, there's no single way he'll go to any other English club, not even Billionaire Chelsea. So in all honesty, I think he'll stay, well for now that is.

Arsenal should push to get Cassano. He's had his ups and downs with Roma, if they've got the cash, it'd be an awesome signing. How he'd fair in England, I've got no clue, but he's a brilliant young striker who would boost Arsenal in so many ways. With Bergie not far from gone, they really need someone like Cassano, someone who can be a goal scorer all the time. I dig Van Persie and Reyes, but I just feel they need another big name striker in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully he'll get some time to establish himself as a first choice forward (or at least a serious option for it) between now and January - especially with Reyes misfiring and spending plenty of time out on the left wing.

Though it presents a bit of a dilemma; I'd like to have a new big name striker in but not at the expense of van Persie's development and chances to play in the team.

Arsenal are to sign Guadalajara's teenage Mexican striker Carlos Vela for a fee of just over £2m, according to reports in his home country.

Under the terms of the deal Vela would play for Spanish side Valencia until he is 18, when he becomes eligible for a work permit in the United Kingdom.

The 17-year-old's father Enrique told the Mexican media: "These chances appear only once in somebody's life.

"Guadalajara wanted Carlos to stay, but we have reached an amicable agreement."

Vela scored five goals in six matches to help Mexico win the recent Under-17 World Championships in Peru.

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

This sounds interesting, people have been raving about this kid.

On another note, we need to sign Torres either in January or in the summer.

Guest muddatrucker

We still have the inexcess of £30million that we were given at the start of the season that was never spent, I'm not saying we'll get him, but we've definitely got cash to spend.

• 2 weeks later...

So...anyone watching the game? I'm not because ITV

a) never put Arsenal on ITV1

and b) I don't actually have ITV4

Yeah, so I'm quite pissed. Why not put the game on ITV3? I know ITV2 has I'm a Celebrity... but what is on ITV3? I hope Telewest actually pick up ITV4 at some point.

You really didn't miss much in the end, the game was frustrating to say the least. Offsides every few minutes broke up most attempts at building some momentum - both sides were hard done by on more than a few decisions, especially Thun on their second disallowed effort.

The disorganised penalty decision at the end summed up the officials' game for me. Still, we pick up another 3 points in Europe (and on the road). I don't really care how we do it as long as we can keep churning out the results.

EDIT: On the subject of ITV4 it seems to be where they're keeping the sport (other than the odd game on ITV1). There have been a couple of games on it and an upcoming boxing match they were plugging. When there's never anything worth watching on ITV2 or 3 I'm not sure why a 4th channel is needed. But it's here and seems to be where the sport is heading for now.

Edited by supergrass