How much money do you spend on music, per year?

lari

Just curious.

I like to spend my money on things I love. And I do have a sizeable collection. Probably enough to keep me entertained. But I still want to, yet can't seem to, find enough new stuff I'm interested in listening to/spending on. And on average I probably spend less than the Spotify crowd. I must spend like 5 times more on golf than on music, and that doesn't feel right. I spend a lot more time with music than with golf. 

So I buy like half a dozen new releases and see maybe 1-2 shows (of bands I already knew I love). A few bargain bin finds on Amazon, and I'm probably still just under $150 a year (and I also sell some stuff, so I make some of it back).

Are people still spending money on music? Why is the music industry failing to take my money? Am I just old? Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and other people spend more than me? Why won't they take my money?

£5 per month on Spotify. I used to buy music on iTunes, but obviously there's no need for that now, and I have no need for physical copies of CDs and whatnot because I don't have a stereo and my PC doesn't have a disk drive (yet).

I dread to think, it's easily my biggest expenditure. Factor in CDs, the odd music download, gig tickets, travel costs to said gigs, and merchandise bought at some of them I easily clear £500 a year and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was nearer double that.

It's only the last two years I've really ramped up on it though, I saw more band's live on 2016 than from 2007 - 2015 combined, and I nearly matched it this year.

• Like 1

I used to spend loads.

This year - £10 I think. Was this the year the new Faith No More album came out?

Speaks volumes really. I don't really have many moments in which I would be listening to music as I tend to read or listen to podcasts now. Even when I run, I find music doesn't help as it knocks off my breathing rhythm.

I probably spend on average £50 a month on going to shows, plus I then fly out to Florida for a music festival which probably costs me in the region of £800 a year on top for all related expenditure. So let's say in the region of £1,500 factoring in merch and other things.

I'll buy the odd album on iTunes every now and then. I got an iTunes giftcard last year for Christmas, and I bought Lil' Dicky's album, a Lil' B song and two Post Malone singles.

Recently, though, I joined the VNYL club which is... $25? Something like that. I got 3 pretty good vinyls out of it, all with digital download codes, so that was pretty cool.

And there's Bonnaroo, but I didn't go this past year. I don't even want to calculate how much I've spent on tickets to that festival, plus merch during the weekend, since 2007. Good lord.

I'm a subscriber to Tidal, I guess that counts too. But I'll probably be cancelling that pretty soon, and signing up for whatever Kanye's Yeezy Sound ends up being because I'm such a stan.

Edited by tristy

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

$0

This.

Between Spotify and Youtube I can listen to anything I want for free. I have to hear ads but I'm a weirdo that doesn't mind breaks between my music. I'd kill for a way to insert small talk radio bits between my chosen music actually.

5 hours ago, VerBlood Drive said:

5 bucks amonth on spotify, however much Pandora is (my wife uses that). A few albums each year, it varies sometimes. I buy music gear so I guess that counts. I don't know, 1500? 

Why does she use Pandora? I mean, I used to love it too but with Spotify she can have all the same music whenever she wants it. I've only encountered one album Pandora has that's not on Spotify.

3 hours ago, =BK= said:

Why does she use Pandora? I mean, I used to love it too but with Spotify she can have all the same music whenever she wants it. I've only encountered one album Pandora has that's not on Spotify.

I ask the same. Not sure why, she was using it for her live sales (as part of her business), but they can't do that anymore. She just prefers it I guess. 

£10 a month for Spotify Premium, being able to access Spotify at work made it a godsend and I doubt I'd ever go back to the free version unless I lose regular access.

Slam Dunk was about £50 and I think I've spent about £100 on merch over the course of the year. Working at a live music venue means I've seen a lot of gigs for free but I've still spent plenty on gigs taking places at other venues, easily adding at least another £100 to the total.

So that's at least £370, which would be much higher if I didn't massively restrict my purchasing of new albums so I actually have something to put on Xmas and birthday lists.