Freeware and Abandonware

MDK

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Have any of you heard about this free wrestling booking sim called "Extreme Warfare Revenge"? It's meant to be somewhat decent.

I've heard those that help pay for one of the more frequently visited fan boards are damn sexy beasts :pervert:  . 

On a serious note, would games that used to be considered Freeware/Abandonware count? I mean, take a game like Blake Stone. Couldn't get it for years until it showed up on the abandonware sites. Now it's on GOG. 

With that spirit in mind, I'm going to throw out Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It had the misfortune of following the wildly successful Civilization II, and was in essence, a spiritual sequel. Long/short, by the 2050s, life on Earth sucks, and the UN builds the starship Unity, a massive colony ship designed to get the hell out of Dodge and let humanity begin anew on a planet in the Alpha Centauri Trinary Star System, Chiron, later known in the game simply as "Planet". After a on-board disaster that kills the captain, the crew splinters into 7 ideological factions, each with their own plan on how humanity should live. It's a fun look into the future, and later had an expansion pack called Alien Crossfire which brought in more units and 7 additional factions, including an aquatic faction and two alien factions with their own intertwined story. It also had a program to let you design your own factions and import them into the game. 

It wasn't just an update to Civilization II. For one thing, it introduced the idea of having separate settler/worker units. Said workers can do much more then lay farms, mines, or roads. They could raise/lower land (itself and new concept, with different stats at different altitudes). In addition, there aren't set units like Civ. Instead you design units, selecting different chassis to build around, then weapons/armor, and special abilities. There was also "Social Engineering", which was basically the precursor to Civ IV's civics. 

It may be retail again, but at least it's only $5. 

• Like 2

OK this one is a long shot. Back in the early-mid 90's there was a Horse Racing game. From what I recall, you never actually did anything but bet on horses and then watched the race.
It came on a floppy disc. Any clues? If it makes any difference, this is in NZ at the time so I'm guessing AUS would have similar.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

OK this one is a long shot. Back in the early-mid 90's there was a Horse Racing game. From what I recall, you never actually did anything but bet on horses and then watched the race.
It came on a floppy disc. Any clues? If it makes any difference, this is in NZ at the time so I'm guessing AUS would have similar.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/race-the-nags-246

Is this the one?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skummy said:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/rainbow-chaser-517

This was, as far as I can remember, the first game I ever played.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/battle-chess-et

I think Battle Chess might have been the first game I played. My Mum introduced me to Wolf3D. I guess she just loves killing Nazi's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2017 at 07:11, MDK said:

Yeah, thats the one! Come to think of it I probably only had the demo...

Nah, I think it had isometric graphics. I know Ramparts though.

Was the castles one....Castles 1 or Castles 2?  I had Castles 2 back in the day, looked like this

Castles%202%20-%20Siege%20and%20Conquest

694-castles-dos-screenshot-building.gif

14 minutes ago, Bigal said:

Hidden Agenda is the shit. You play as the new leader of a Caribbean island, and have to make it through the first three years without being couped.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/hidden-agenda-ge

For people that want a new (non-abandonware) homage to Hidden Agenda, check out Rogue State. http://store.steampowered.com/app/396090/Rogue_State/ - It's also 75% off as of posting.

It's where you control a pseudo-islamic country after a revolution, and it's your task as the transitional president to guide the country (or become the next dictator)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benji said:

We need more Cube diaries based on abandonware.

I wanted to do a Cube diary based on the Jules Verne mod from the Civ 2 Fantastic Worlds expansion, but couldn't get it to work on my laptop, so decided I'd try the steampunk mod from Civ IV, but I couldn't get screenshots to work. I'm too much of a massive idiot for Cube diaries.

• Like 1