PSVR

The one and only drawback so far is that the camera has a hard time picking up the move controllers if it's too bright in the room, which it is in our living room during the day.

I really want to start Resident Evil VII but I have to wait until the sun goes down.

Wimped out on Resident Evil last night, although I'll say it was mainly due to Snowball being at work and wanting to be around when I played it.

Instead I played Accounting+ by the dudes who made The Stanley Parable and Justin Roiland from Rick & Morty. 

Quite possibly one of the weirdest and funniest games I've ever played. Brilliantly silly and another fantastic use of VR. If you're not into that kind of humour I can imagine you'd think it was shit, but being a big fan of Roiland, I loved it.

Seriously, VR is a gimmick, and it's not going to replace sitting on a sofa with a controller in hand. I imagine after Resident Evil, it'll be the kind of peripheral that remains on the shelf and only gets busted out for the occasional game, but if you afford the price point, I can't recommend it enough.

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

it'll be the kind of peripheral that remains on the shelf and only gets busted out for the occasional game

Or a fancy wank when snowballs at work?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tetris Effect, Astro Bot and Beat Saber are reason enough to buy a VR. All three are phenomenal. I can't stress enough how much of a game changer VR is, it's the most consistently surprising and exciting platform I think I've ever tried and despite the high price tag, it's been worth every penny.

Honestly, I've not been this blown away by technology since the first iPhone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Saw a video on youtube about Everybody's Golf VR so I downloaded the demo on PSN. Very limited demo but it really is like being in an EG environment and they've done a great job with the accuracy of swing and club.

Now a) I don't really play golf and b) Everybody's Golf always ends up limited despite being fun, and the reviews certainly say it's particularly limited with options, lack of multiplayer and courses (at the mo at least).....but I just dropped £25 for the full game anyway. It just felt very charming inside and feels very VRish in how I expected future VR to feel....and makes me hope we're closer to a good VR cricket game.

The first half dozen times the character moves (using the well-implemented look and move mechanism) I nearly fell over. 

Glad I've been playing Everybody's Golf VR for a few days though to get my VR legs back. Feels like potential motion sickness could be a thing.

It's very much been scenes connected together so far (I'm not very far in) but it's been doing VR right (lots to pick up and throw around, weapons fun to reload, holster, people looming close...) Sitting scenes are weird cos you feel like a dwarf if playing while standing (as I do). Otherwise, I feel pretty immersed in there, which is always key.

I'll keep you posted. The next few scenes after the intro level (the one with playthroughs on youtube) are mostly passive scenes, just onto the next playable action scene.

Ok, I just played the first main action level after the intro level and some bits before and after it. Here are some tidbits. I will try not to spoil the story.

1. Normal goons are fine, but when heavily armoured guys start lumbering towards you spraying out machine gun bullets from behind their beefy armour, my hands start sweating. Kinda panicky moment the first time.

2. If you take too many gunshots "blood" starts oozing down the side of your vision and your vision starts to go darker. That's kinda freaky and disorienting and adds to the stress.

3. I'm getting better with the movement but there's one bit where you take a running jump through the window into the night sky and that nearly make me totally stack it and then get height freak outs. You land on this neon sign and when I turned around to look back and up I got the exact same wobbly, freaky feel as I do in real life.

4. It does a great job of making you feel like an action movie hero, especially in the scenes where it moves you along automatically in a running scene. It's great to fire off your gun as the goons charge at you, reloading, shooting some more.

5. I found a grenade. Put it to my mouth to bite the pin before throwing it and it worked.

6. I'm no vaper, but the mic means that you can suck and blow on ones in-game. Earpieces connect through the ear you connect them to in-game. 

7. Shoot outs feel far more intense than just onscreen. At those points it totally has you in the game and out of your environment.

8. It has plenty of little in-jokes, Easter eggs, references etc.

9. It still feels weird when he crouches in-game and you're standing, but I'm getting used to it.

10. The story if Guy Ritchie cheese but that's fine. It's quite fun and shlocky.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Wipeout on VR is INCREDIBLE!!

@ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster if you've not tried it yet you absolutely need to!

I was singing its praises on Facebook in the week. I agree mate, it's absolutely stunning. I got chills sat in that cockpit for the first time after 25 years of playing the series. My favourite VR experience so far I reckon.