NHL 18

Gabriel

22 hours ago, Shammy Zayn said:

The game is now in the EA Vault if you want to give it a shot, I think I'm going to do just that.

Wondered why I got a message earlier saying “Thanks for your digital purchase”. 

Seems a bit early to be putting in the vault doesn’t it?

Seems like just the right time. The playoffs are starting, and it might be a good way to pull some fans into getting the EA Vault stuff so that they can play NHL 18 if they haven't gotten it already.

If they wait until the playoffs end, there's no real interest left in that game because everyone will be waiting for 19 instead.

• 2 months later...

Just recently bought this, and this is my first foray into the game sine  PS4 came out, after being the type of guy to buy it on release day on all past systems.

The expansion draft is what sold it to me. I love physical defenseen so Jake Dotchin and Jamie Oleksiak are always drafted by me.

I don't play any of the other modes, except for the odd European Tournament, so the 3 on 3 thing or the myCareer have no bearing on my enjoyment of the game.

My issue is finding the perfect set of sliders. I want to play a realistic game, but an inch too hard I am losing 5-3 where the other team is 5-5 on the PP. An inch too easy and I am beating the other team 8-2 by the end of the 2nd.

When you find out the perfect sliders, you let me know. I've taken to pretty much just simming all my regular season games in Franchise, as I too either win 7-1 or lose 6-2 depending on when I bump up or down the difficulty. 

Also I can count the number of times I get a power play in a season on one hand. The computer just never commits penalties against me, apparently. Kinda frustrating since I could sneeze near someone and they'd send me to the box. 

5 minutes ago, million$$man said:

Been playing with a set of sliders that I was comfortable with, but have been winning consistently 3-0, 4-1, 2-0... So I figure I will up the CPU Learning and CPU Skill Adjustment from 2 to 4.... win my next game 10-6...... uhh....ok 

That's less hockey and more...Ivy League football. 

• 10 months later...

I am not sure if it's like this in NHL 19, but I started playing my franchise in 18 again recently and the commentary has made me remember one of the reasons why I shelved it for so long. Maybe it's just because both franchises I've played were with the 32nd Franchise, but commentary talks about guys playing their first game with my team, even though I had them for more than a year... and other similar type gaffes that make no sense.

The gameplay is good enough that I don't mind if I'm only playing once in awhile, but I played something like eight games the other day (stretch run/playoffs had me excited) and it was just constant. Ray Ferraro's commentary, in particular, seems to be way off.

• 1 month later...

With NHL 19 being free with Gold on Xbox One, I made the jump over.

So frustrating. AI goalies on your team are still useless, and they nerfed the poke check, so defending is almost like playing a game of pinball now, as the puck goes from one guy to the next, to the next, until someone manages to break away from the pack with it.

My biggest complaint about the NHL series is that it is almost necessary to play with the sliders yourself to find a balance that makes the game play properly. I shouldn't be out-shooting my opponent by a two-to-one margin, only to come up with a loss because my sieve goalie couldn't stop three different tricklers. Once in awhile? Absolutely. On a regular basis? Hell no.

Thankfully, the series was given extra funds and people for NHL 20's development.

Oh, and the menu's still suck.

1 minute ago, Ruki said:

The menus made me uninstall. So slow! And I had to lower the penalties, because I was taking 5+ whenever I pressed the poke check button.

I believe they thought the poke check was too effective in comparison to the amount of penalties it led to in 18... but they completely killed it in 19, and it was probably the most effective way of defending in previous games. Other players have said that the stick lift is better this year, but I'm also finding that I'm taking too many penalties with that as well. Weird ones too... like, there's no reason why I should miss from where I'm trying to lift the stick, but for some reason, I end up with so many double minors because of it.

So, essentially, my defensive strategy has become positioning, and hoping they don't score from where they shoot from... which isn't effective either, because as I mentioned above, the human's AI goalie plays like a five year-old, even when they're considerably better than the opposing goalie, who will stop 38 shots in a game... while your goalie allows three on fifteen shots consistently.

• 10 months later...

I didn't want to make a new thread...

Just played NHL 20. I can't believe the menus are still as awful as they are. It takes forever just to change your lines or search the free agent screen. It's unbearable. And it's been such a huge issue since the last NHL game I played. 

26 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I played the trial of 20 they had however long ago. Realized it was the exact same as 19. I uninstalled it the same day. 

I would be so angry if I paid for this. Luckily, I was able to borrow it from my brother. 

I do understand how the game could be a bit lacking in 3 years ago since the NHL team is a lot smaller then the Madden or FIFA teams. But to still have these god awful menus in this version is unforgivable. 

• Like 1

The UI and lack of speed through the menu's is the biggest reason why I haven't touched the NHL series for awhile. I'd like to play Be-a-GM, but I do so much within those types of modes, that I'm spending a decent amount of time just in the menu's, changing lines, scouting players, assessing potential trades, etc... that because of the awful UI that NHL has, I end up spending more time doing that than playing the games themselves, and it boils down 100% to just how slow everything is.

I probably do more with MLB's Franchise, in terms of off-field stuff, but the menu's are responsive, clean and quick... so it doesn't seem like it's taking me forever to get to playing another game.