Official Rap Thread (Reprise)

Gorka

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently come around on Kendrick, although it's really just because of DNA. That's a dope song/video. I dunno about HUMBLE., but eh, I'll give the album a listen sometime. Mainly when Comcast isn't watching my account so closely because I got some White Stripes albums... :shifty:

Anyway, the point of that was Kendrick is going on tour, in Europe, with James Blake. I'm so jealous. I told my friend, who's a big Kendrick stan, and he said a collab album with those two would be awesome. So I'm mainly coming in here to complain about the lack of Kendrick songs with James Blake beats. I now want this for some reason, and I'm mad it doesn't exist. <_<

Controversial opinion: Brockhampton are overrated. I've listened to Saturation II a few times now, and I just can't get into it.

If it's the same situation as Kendrick, then I'll only like a handful of songs. As it stands right now, I replaced their album in my car with a mash-up album that combines classic rap with classic punk. It's actually a lot better than it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice (and short) AV Club doc about Open Mike Eagle's new album was posted yesterday.  It shows him going back to the former site of the Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago, which inspired the album.  If y'all haven't checked out the album, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

YouTube Red is offering 3 months for free right now - I encourage everyone to get it and binge watch a lot of the shit on Complex's channel. I know not everyone is into sneakers, but they had a really good 8 episode reality competition series about aspiring shoe designers (some of shoes they made for Fetty Wap were bananas). They also have this Blueprint series, and I'm currently watching one about Chance the Rapper's manager that's reallyyyyy good. They had a short one about the founder and CEO of Stadium Goods, but the best one was a 30 minute mini doc about Pusha T and his beginnings, Clipse's rise to fame and eventual downfall, and how he came to be the President of G.O.O.D. Music. It's fantastic. It might be one of the free episodes, I'm not sure. They also had a really good 40 minute mini doc about the culture of Supreme and it's resellers, but I realize stuff like street fashion and sneakers aren't for everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talib Kweli posted the (already public) business address of an alt-right lawyer who was attacking people with racist and hate speech on Twitter, and Twitter locked Kweli's account and threatened to suspend him. 

“Twitter saw fit to suspend him from Twitter but they think my posting of his public business address is to incite harassment. This essentially means they only care about their culpability, but they don’t care about the community this ‘lawyer’ serves in real life. A lawyer who does this should have his very public contact info shared by everyone so that we as a community can demand accountability.

If someone is claiming to be a defense attorney and they are making extremely disparaging remarks, unprompted, to and about women, black people, anti fascists, gay people on top of threatening to kill these people, shouldn’t the community he serves have be able to have a place to call or an address to visit to express their grievances? If that is not the time to tell someone to contact a business, when is?

Getting back on Twitter is not my concern. Allowing a major corporation to say I harassed someone who tweeted me out of the blue making wild racist threats at me and those who support me is.

There is a community outside of Twitter that the lawyer is still a threat to. How can you not care about that community?”

http://uproxx.com/realtalk/talib-kweli-interview-twitter-racism/

It still jars me that Killer Mike is kind of an outspoken gun nut type. I guess you can take the man out of the south, but not the south out of the man. Any time there's gun control reform talked about he's on Twitter and IG immediately telling people to push back against it and to arm themselves to protect their families and shit.

• 2 weeks later...

oh also i meant to post this yesterday but forgot: ma$e put out a diss track on cam'ron, a guy he has known since they were kids, and my favorite line is "i ain't gonna talk about the time you fucked your sister."

uhhh, pretty sure that counts as talking about it...

• 2 weeks later...