• Nonstop
  • Emotionless
  • 8 out of 10
  • March 14th
  • Talk Up
  • Mob Ties
  • That's How You Feel
  • Summer Games

Plus the already released singles (which I really like, while some don't). God's Plan, I'm Upset, Nice For What...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stick Stickly said:

what rap do you like?  because otherwise it seems like you just came in here to be happy about some dude (whose songs I've never listened to and don't care to listen to) getting hospitalized. were you also happy when XXX (same story as takeshi for me) was killed last month?

6ix9ine molested the shit out of a thirteen year old girl with another guy, taped it and shared it all over the place and has pretty much had a slap on the wrist for it. The amount of shitheads in rap now with the YouTube/Soundcloud boom serve essentially one purpose in my eyes right now - and that's essentially to point out how fucked up the industry still is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

what rap do you like?  because otherwise it seems like you just came in here to be happy about some dude (whose songs I've never listened to and don't care to listen to) getting hospitalized. were you also happy when XXX (same story as takeshi for me) was killed last month?

80's-90's West Coast, Death Row era mostly. A little Eminem, a little 50, a little Jay-Z.

Fuck XXX too. Dude was charged with aggravated battery of a pregnant woman. No smiles, but no tears either.

Hard call to make when it comes to labeling exactly what I listen to when it comes to rap. It's a fascinating genre as a whole - but it's rife with misogyny or stuff that focuses on "buy this, I have the most of this" culture and I've come to despise that.

You go back to the early 90s hey-day and it's easy to find good songs, but after reading Original Gangstas and other books that focus around that time frame, no one is really all that clean of that kind of stuff. I'm a big proponent though of looking at things as a product of their time - and for that reason I still enjoy Biggie and the like - but the real life actions of guys like Easy E and Dr. Dre are pretty hard to look past.

For a good period of time it was Kanye for me and I don't really have to explain why but over the years it has just become harder and harder to go back and listen to him after everything that has gone down.When I was initially listening to Kanye I cared less about how braggadocios he was - because he did it really well and was self conscious. But these days I just feel uncomfortable in just about any way - it feels like enabling someone who needs serious help to me.

Ultimately these days - the pinnacle of what rap can be for me is Watsky and a lot of the people that he hangs and collabs with - Anderson Paak, Chinaka Hodge - rappers who are also poets. Positive music with a great message performed extremely well. It's the same reason that I went through a Kendrick Lamar phase.

• Like 1

Awesome, yeah I can still fuck with braggedocious rap if it's done well with good wordplay and all that, otherwise I don't care.  

If you like poets check out Noname, she was a poet long before she was a rapper and I think she's gonna drop something new soon, her first album Telefone is great.  And then there's Open Mike Eagle, I think you'd like him too based on what you described.

Saba too!

On 22/07/2018 at 14:00, LittleDaniel said:

Awesome, yeah I can still fuck with braggedocious rap if it's done well with good wordplay and all that, otherwise I don't care.  

If you like poets check out Noname, she was a poet long before she was a rapper and I think she's gonna drop something new soon, her first album Telefone is great.  And then there's Open Mike Eagle, I think you'd like him too based on what you described.

Saba too!

Yeah I pretty much added all of them to my artist list so I can go further - nice. Searching for similar artists gave me a list to check out if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it;

- Scroobius Pip (almost feel ashamed to say this around EWB parts that I haven't heard a lot)
- Dessa
- Mac Lethal (I've heard him in a Spose song before - forgot about Spose earlier too - "Nobody' was a great inspiration for me)
- Milo
- Aesop Rock
- Akala

I've said before I think 99% of Rap and Hip-Hop sounds like ass to me but since I can't use my Laptop to write till I get my new charger later today I filled my time thinking about what I do like.

Labeling 3 or so  of the songs rap might be a stretch  but whatever.