Official Rap Thread (Reprise)

Gorka

4 hours ago, tristy said:

Pusha T: May 25th

Kanye: June 1st

Kanye & Kid Cudi (Kids See Ghosts): June 8th

Teyana Taylor: June 22nd

We're so blessed that Ye is back on Twitter. Praise be.

I'll be super fucking pumped if this happens but this is also Kanye -- still waiting on Turbo Grafix 16 or whatever that was supposed to come out last summer.

Oh and Busdriver is one of those guys who is good but I never really got into and then there was a sexual abuse allegation late last year and then I didn't feel the need to look into him further.

9 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

I'll be super fucking pumped if this happens but this is also Kanye -- still waiting on Turbo Grafix 16 or whatever that was supposed to come out last summer.

This album could easily be what Turbo Grafix 16 was supposed to be. Hell, he’s still making changes to The Life of Pablo!

In addition to the albums that Kanye announced on Twitter previously, he also said - today - that the new Nas album will be out on June 15th.

And all of those albums are produced by Kanye, too.

I have a hard time reconciling my fandom of Kanye with his outspoken support of Trump, much the same way I have a hard time reconciling my fandom of Killer Mike with his gun advocacy bullshit. It's just a bit much for me at this point. 

On 4/28/2018 at 18:03, Cajun Cloudad said:

I have a hard time reconciling my fandom of Kanye with his outspoken support of Trump, much the same way I have a hard time reconciling my fandom of Killer Mike with his gun advocacy bullshit. It's just a bit much for me at this point. 

Easy solution: stop being a fan. 

• Sad 1

My usual reaction when stuff like this happens is to basically just not bother with anything from past the point where the celeb goes past the realm of being defensible, which is pretty much what I'm doing with Kanye. I'm not going to jettison my appreciation of the stuff before, except for Life of Pablo because that album was mostly horrible.

On a related note, I've been listening to a podcast where the entire thing is just the hosts going through that Kanye bracket that popped up on Twitter during all the March Madness stuff and debating the matchups and on this week's one of them compared "Highlights" to one of those embarrassing song parody videos that rich families make on Bar Mitzvahs or holidays and Jesus is that ever accurate.

That's really good video. It's too bad the song is kind of trash. I haven't liked anything Gambino has put out since like, 2011, though. I'm sure everybody will swoon at that song/video, no doubt about that.

Edited by tristy

Granted I'm a big Gambino stan but I think the video + song works a lot better than just the song on it's own. A friend and I were trying to think of other songs where watching the video is required to really enjoy the song. 

Yeah that's essentially what I was trying to say. I'm not a huge Gambino fan - like I said, I haven't enjoyed anything he's done since Camp. But listening to the song by itself is a weird experience because it's basically just little easter eggs of other rappers in the background and the verses are more like extended choruses. Which I guess could be a commentary on what passes as hip-hop these days, and knowing Gambino it probably is. But the video 100% makes this a memorable song.

Without the video, in my opinion, it's a pretty trash song. I got ate alive on Reddit for saying that.

I don't like 99% of rap music but I like that song.

I think I like elements of the song without loving the song as a whole, and those elements get me through the whole thing enough that if it pops up I'm happy to listen to the whole thing. It's pretty heavily buoyed by the fact that since I saw the video first I can picture the moments/beats of the video as the song plays.

but then, I also couldn't stand early Childish Gambino, so.

• Like 1