Formula One 2018

Lineker

The silly season does seem to have kicked off earlier than usual this year. There's now rumours that Alonso is going back to Renault (so no idea what happens to Sainz) and Kimi is going back to McLaren. So theorising it'd look like this:

Mercedes - Hamilton / Bottas | Ferrari - Vettel / Leclerc | RBR - Verstappen / Ricciardo | Renault - Hulkenburg / Alonso | Force India - Perez / Ocon (if the team's even around still) | McLaren - Raikkonen / Norris | Haas - Magnussen / Grosjean (maybe Giovanazzi) | Toro Rosso - Gasly / Sainz | Sauber - Ericsson / (Giovanazzi or Latifi)

🤷‍♀️

Yeah, Nando ain't sticking around for another season of being a mobile chicane / oil slick.

I don't think there's any reason why Kimi would even be entertaining the thought of going to McLaren at this point in time. The state of the team is utterly dire, and there's nothing for him to attain in the short term. He's also got plenty of money he's sitting on, and I can imagine he'd want to explore other interests entirely. 

At the same time I see no reason for McLaren to do away with Stoffel, sure he's not beating his teammate, but his teammate is Fernando Alonso, Stoffel has shown the poise and skill to drive the McLaren which is a dog of a car, and he'll do better as time goes on. I can also imagine he comes with a smaller price tag than any other interesting driver for McLaren.

Also I also don't see Nando stay in F1 and join Renault, unless Renault shows a significant leap in performance in the remainder of the season. They'll have to win a race (or two), period. Nothing else will motivate Nando to take a jump. Also, I don't see Sainz accepting a seat at Toro Rosso under any circumstance either, I can rather see him leave F1 than be forced back into a team where it's very clear he doesn't want to be.

Merc - Ham/Bot, Rari - Vet/Lec, RBR - Ric/Ver, Ren - Hul/Sai, FI - Per/Oco, McL - Van/Nor, HAS - Mag/Gro (or Kvyat), STR - Gas/???, Sau - Eri/Gio

The only interesting play is who might be put in the Toro Rosso, at a stretch I can see Helmut Marko snag either Nyck de Vries (Likely, with McLaren banking on Lando), George Russell (Possibly, seeing that Mercedes isn't quickly motivated to force a drive for their junior drivers).

Nick Latifi won't make it into F1 next season unless he can get monster performances that deliver a top 3 spot. He doesn't have nearly enough Superlicense points.

Edited by Jasonmufc

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

correct but ridiculous decision. Probably the stewards 'paying back' them going easy on Vettel for what he did last week.

If there's one thing that the F1 stewards are great at, it's confusing and inconsistent decision making.

So Roger Goodell would be a perfect steward?

Best race of the season by far from the start, really. Crazy results up and down the order too - no idea how Alonso ended up in 8th after being in 19th for the first ten laps or so. Same with Leclerc recovering from going off on Lap One (also, the Sauber fanboy in me is hyped that they got a double points finish!)

36 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

Is Austria always this bizarre? 

Also good for Verstappen. #AnybodyButLewis

Austria does have a tendency of highlighting the differences between the top tier and the non-tier. With such short lap times there's a bigger chance the backmarkers get lapped, and in this case, everyone that isn't a Merc/Rari/Red Bull, it's truly a crazy track.

Also a crazy win for Max, but perhaps the sweetest of them all. In front of a shitload of Dutch fans to also take Red Bull's first home win. I'm sure Mateschitz is giving him a lifetime supply of Red Bull now.

Very happy for Haas to get their best showing, one that they should've had at Australia but they finally have been vindicated. It's legit impressive how much Haas has grown in the past few seasons, because even if they've gotten a leg up from Ferrari they've truly moved mountains to become a team that can match themselves at the top of the normie standings with a team like Renault who have much more resources.

And sneaky Nando grabbing an 8th spot, it's a shame he'll probably leave F1 at the end of the season, but at this point if he can't get a top drive he's just wasting his time because McLaren is dire, and there's no other team that could possibly compete with the top 3 teams, unless Ferrari does something unheard of and rather than Leclerc they go with a Vettel/Nando line-up of death in 2019.

• Like 1

It was a corker of a race, helped by the tyre degradation being so appalling. It's a weird scenario where you want drivers to be pushing as hard as they can, but if we had that then 80% of the drama we had here would be gone.

Weren't they out of the sport for nearly 50 years before Mercedes bought out the Brawn team a few years ago? :P

I do hope this title race stays interesting right the way through. Was going that way last year until Vettel lost his marbles in the last few races and chucked it all away.