Formula One 2018

Lineker

I'm playing Hamilton defender again it seems, but;

The penalty for Raikkonen in Baku 2016 was due to there being a directive from the race director that no car could head towards the pit lane and then move back out on to the track, as doing so would put the car directly on the racing line on the start-finish straight. Kimi did it, and was therefore penalised.

There was no such directive issued for Germany as the pit lane entry is different, therefore Hamilton didn't get penalised.

I agree with you Chris that Hamilton didn't deserve a punishment and that the Baku thing was different, but I do feel that in the future there should be a clear amendment to the rulebook that prohibits or punishes a car from crossing the clearly defined pit-entry marker. Because it's both dangerous and potentially exploitable by teams wishing to fool people that are shadowing their strategy.

If a car had been close to the point where Hamilton rejoined he would've either cut them off, crashed into them, or be crashed into. It's reckless, and it also defeats the entire purpose of having pit-entry markings in the first place.

You have your car between the two lines, you're making your way into the pits and every move across the line should be worth a penalty equal to crossing the line at pit-exit. The only time it shouldn't apply is specific tracks where the pit-lane is also part of the racing line (Brazil, which has different markings to indicate it as such), or when there are other situations not allowing you to take the racing line.

But in the case of Hockenheim, the rules should be very simple. The moment you're on the road that diverges into the pit-lane you shouldn't be able to cross the grass and rejoin the track without penalty.

formula-one-grand-prix-hockenheim_3278316.jpg?20150317144522

As you can see, the road into pit lane is clearly defined at a track such as Hockenheim, and shouldn't leave much ambiguity. 

So yeah, Hamilton gets away with it because it's not in the rulebook. But it's kinda mindboggling that such a thing isn't in the rulebook.

He was in Formula 3 and dominated, mainly because his dad pretty much bought the Prema team and forced them to focus entirely on their F3 campaign and ignore their F2 campaign.

Not sure that'll work in F1 though, although I would hate to be his teammate because he won't be getting any help.

7 hours ago, Chris2K said:

He was in Formula 3 and dominated, mainly because his dad pretty much bought the Prema team and forced them to focus entirely on their F3 campaign and ignore their F2 campaign.

Not sure that'll work in F1 though, although I would hate to be his teammate because he won't be getting any help.

To go along with the Stroll/Force India rumours, the rumour also goes that Lance would want to have Kubica as his teammate at the team, probably to have that veteran presence around him that will hopefully work out his consistency issues.

Stroll isn't a terrible racing driver, but in a league filled with great drivers he sticks out as a sore thumb, arguably worse than guys like Markus Ericsson and Hartley. The only thing he got going for him at the moment is the fat sack of cash his dad's bringing in, and if daddy is crazy enough he's got a drive for life. But at the same time I don't see any other F1 team being remotely interested anymore, apart from teams like Williams that can use the cash, but on a professional level he's at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

It's depressing to think that that's essentially a lateral move.

My first thought when I read it was that he was going down a level :lol:

But that's just my automatic reaction to anything McLaren these days.

4 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Not in order by any stretch of the imagination, if so would have the season ender at Monaco or Spa.

ZmRYfNP.jpg

About the UK Grand Prix, would've preferred Brands Hatch to be the second option. Still stand by my opinion about paving over Silverstone and turning it into an airport being an improvement. <_<

My dream F1 without any order...

Australia, Belgium, Italy (not Monza), Germany (Nurburgring), Spain, Britain, France, Hungary, Mexico, USA (not COTA), Japan, Brazil, Canada, South Africa, Abu Dhabi, China/India

I'd love to see Kyalami return to the F1 calendar. 

15 hours ago, Meacxico said:

That thing is flawed, as I'm not able to just completely delete the Canadian Grand Prix.

But (bar this year, which was awful) it's the best circuit by far <_<

Another BBC F1 thing: who's underperformed the most this year?

I think the only one who really justifies it, honeslty, is Sainz. Hulk's nearly outscoring him by twice the amount of points, and he's been struggling a lot more in qualifying and the like it seems. Weird, since he was pretty much Max's equal at Toro Rosso (which I guess might help raise Hulk's stock, but I'd say he's probably pretty happy and safe just being Renault's #1 now).

It's only fair to exclude both Williams' since there was no expectation for either, really, and the car is shit. I'd say Vandoorne is up there, but he's had this weird chassis problem which might be some excuse as to why he's so far behind. Otherwise, the only other one is Grosjean, but then if Haas hadn't fucked up in Australia, hed definitely be in the top 10 in the WDC, so...