FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

England haven't really been as insufferable as usual this year but the thing that really irritates me is that twat on ITV that leads in all the advert breaks. "Confidence" fuck off. I know it's tongue in cheek but the smug twattishness is just annoying as fuck.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spainanite said:

England haven't really been as insufferable as usual this year but the thing that really irritates me is that twat on ITV that leads in all the advert breaks. "Confidence" fuck off. I know it's tongue in cheek but the smug twattishness is just annoying as fuck.

110%. It is dreadful. 

Just now, Arjen Robben said:

Hate these first days when there's no World Cup on, first sign that we're in the closing stretches :(

DO ANOTHER WORLD CUP. START IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

I was thinking about this earlier when I was at work. On no-game days they could do some kind of silly exhibition or charity match, maybe? Best players from the eliminated teams or something. But I'm sure their club sides would want them back pronto.

• Admin
31 minutes ago, PolaMDK said:

I was thinking about this earlier when I was at work. On no-game days they could do some kind of silly exhibition or charity match, maybe? Best players from the eliminated teams or something. But I'm sure their club sides would want them back pronto.

They could cobble a team together to play a Mickey Mouse side like Scotland maybe.

Just now, Switzerlineker said:

They could cobble a team together to play a Mickey Mouse side like Scotland maybe.

Most of the Scottish squad, and fans, can't make it to Russia because of a serious outbreak of neck and back pain from carrying that massive chip on their shoulder.

• Like 1

Yeah, we've got such a massive chip on our shoulder that we voted to leave the world's largest trade bloc and isolate ourselves from the rest of continent because we didn't like being told what to do by bloody Europeans and we just wanted our empire back

OH WAIT.

800px-United_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_

Edited by metalman
  • Like 4

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/11/euro-2016-french-police-tactics-raise-fears-of-more-clashes-with-england-fans

They still exist, though they aren't quite as scary as the Russians. I think people perceived that it had vanished of late because recent World Cups and European Championships - Brazil, South Africa, Poland and Ukraine - were beyond their normal travelling range. The Home Office are generally a lot better at preventing hooligans from going abroad now too.

That being said, violence at football is pretty widespread throughout much of Europe. It's by no means ever uniquely been the "English disease" that some claim it is. Several places are far worse. It's largely associated with the international travelling support too: large scale violence in domestic matches is pretty rare, though it still persists in the likes of Italy, Germany and the Netherlands.

Edited by metalman

20 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Are English hooligans still a thing? I feel like the Football Factory crowd died. 

Nowhere near as bad, as metalman says, as on the continent and elsewhere in the world. Italian and Greek football both have had their seasons suspended in recent years due to fan violence leading to deaths, PSG were so ashamed of their ultras they banned them outright, only allowing a few groups, which started by packing out their women's team stadium weren't allowed into the main teams games until they had proven they could behave.. etc etc.

What FIFA should do is have the Omega World Cup... like Hamster's old Cube diary... wherein the bottom 16 or 24 ranked nations in the world play to find the best of the worst. Stagger it so these teams play on World Cup off days to keep the football spirits lively.

Worst of the Best was awarded to Germany in 2018.

11 minutes ago, Switzerlineker said:

Delph is now back in the UK for the birth of his third child.

Crazy. You couldn't even tell he was pregnant during his run out against Belgium.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Switzerlineker said:

13 hours ago, PolaMDK said:

Most of the Scottish squad, and fans, can't make it to Russia because of a serious outbreak of neck and back pain from carrying that massive chip on their shoulder.

So obsessed.

• Admin

Donald Trump usually reserves the word "greatest" for his latest deal or appointment, but he has now bestowed it on Cristiano Ronaldo.

The US President was speaking about the Portugal forward during a meeting with Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa at the White House.

"They say he is the greatest player," said Trump while discussing the qualities of the Real Madrid forward with De Sousa.

"So, tell me, how good a player is he?" asked Trump. "Are you impressed?"

"I'm very much impressed. He's the best player [in] the world," enthused De Sousa.

Ronaldo has scored four goals in Russia to help propel Portugal into the last-16 against Uruguay on Saturday.

"So will Christian [sic] ever run for president against you?" Trump asked Robelo de Sousa. "He wouldn't win! You know he won't win?

"Well, President, you know [there's] something I must tell you," replied Robelo de Sousa. "Portugal is not the United States. It's a little different!"

• Haha 1