Sign in to follow this  
Lineker

FIFA World Cup 2018

These award ceremonies are a bit awkward when you have some recipients there and some not (Courtois, Kane).

Although not as awkward as if they'd flown Harry Kane in, Mbappe scored a hat-trick and they'd have to be like "nah, sorry mate" and sent Harry away again.

I would have laughed. :shifty: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Didn't say it was the same thing tbf, said it reminded me of it. <_<

That's fair enough. I still don't think they should be pointed out for wearing suits though, it's how they should dress for an occasion such as this.

2 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Who have been the standout left backs in this tournament? Doing this dream team thing on the FIFA site I can't even think of any.

I stuck Trippier out there. Of the four semi-finalists, two don't play with an actual left back (Young and Chadli) and the other two have been functional if unspectacular (Hernandez and Strinic).

I went with Courtois, Vrsaljko, Varane, Vida, Trippier, Pogba, Modric, de Bruyne, Mbappe, Kane, Hazard

Don't mean to start anything so feel free to ignore me and sorry if it was already brought up but are you English folk happy the team that beat you lost or would you have rather lost to the winner? I always go back and forth on it. Like when the Cubs get knocked out of the playoffs I'll get bitter and hope that team gets killed but then it sometimes makes me feel better we lost to the best team.

But like I said ignore this if you want was just curious how you guys felt

1 minute ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Don't mean to start anything so feel free to ignore me and sorry if it was already brought up but are you English folk happy the team that beat you lost or would you have rather lost to the winner? I always go back and forth on it. Like when the Cubs get knocked out of the playoffs I'll get bitter and hope that team gets killed but then it sometimes makes me feel better we lost to the best team.

I think I would've liked Croatia to win for two reasons: it would've kept France level with us and it would've been a new winner. Aside from that, I didn't really mind who won. Pleased for Pogba and glad he scored, but aside from that, didn't really care.

Wanted France to win for financial gain, heart said Croatia.

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I wanted Croatia to win. A new winner would have been fun.

And as an aside it was refreshing to lose against a team who was just better than us. No dubious decisions, no bullshit red cards or bollocks like that. They were just better than us.

And also fuck the French tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I wasn't too fussed who won to be honest, but I take each team on its merits. Croatia beat us fair and square so I'd never begrudge them just for beating us. As it is, I'm not a big fan of either France or Croatia so I just wanted the winning team to have deserved it, and based on today and the whole tournament I'd say France definitely do deserve it.

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

You guys are better than me. I ALWAYS begrudge people for beating us :P 

If you get beaten by a better team fair and square that you don't have a rivalry with then why not? If you get cheated out of a win by a team then fuck them with a thistle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

You guys are better than me. I ALWAYS begrudge people for beating us :P 

Not really, you're American, so you are public with your grudges. We're English and reserved, so we repress our grudges and let them fester for decades, sometimes centuries. We remember 1066 you cheese eating surrender monkeys.

• Like 1

This was a fun world cup overall, I was mostly well entertained this past few weeks.

The next one will be really weird.

Really enjoyed the World Cup, though admittedly it's hard not to enjoy it. The next one is going to be strange happening in the fall and all. I wouldn't be surprised to see another dark horse side like Croatia make a run to the final in that one either, so many of the big teams are going to be running on fumes with it just sandwiched into the club season like that. A cool thing is since it's such a small country there's going to be a great atmosphere for the fans that attend, something you don't get in a big country like Brazil, Russia, or especially the North America Cup in 2026.

France absolutely deserve to be champions, tired of pundits saying "oh I don't think they were the better side today." Like okay, then why did they score 4 goals and only allow 2, 1 of which was on a total boner by Lloris? Croatia, Belgium, and Brazil would all have been very worthy as well. Think we might be having a different team lifting the trophy today had Meunier not been suspended for the semifinal. But he was.

This World Cup also featured a great performance from England who can now immediately turn their eyes to 2020, with the final in Wembley, and finally lifting a trophy again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

A cool thing is since it's such a small country there's going to be a great atmosphere for the fans that attend, something you don't get in a big country like Brazil, Russia, or especially the North America Cup in 2026.  

I hope you're right but I can't see it. There's nothing about "hastily constructed infrastructure in a desert" that screams good atmosphere to me. 

• Like 1

'Football fans baffled at turning up to their opening match and finding nothing but a car park and a hot dog kiosk in the middle of the desert'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Official Collyombia said:

I hope you're right but I can't see it. There's nothing about "hastily constructed infrastructure in a desert" that screams good atmosphere to me. 

Oh yes, the caveat is if everything actually is built and infrastructure properly in place.

If we get there, I'm definitely going. Shitty desert infrastructure or not! Last chance to see a normal format World Cup too.

Will go to in 2026 if we're there too even though I'll be 34 then 😣 US World Cup is gonna be some atmosphere!

I still think it will be shit. There's going to be somewhere between eight and twelve staidums, five of which will be in Doha (population: 1.3m in 50 sq km) so I imagine the infrastructure demands during the group phase when you could have every team potentially playing at least one match there are going to be atrocious.

On the playing side, it's going to be balls hot for outdoor training and the finalists will have to play seven games in twenty-eight days or less, so injuries are going to be a massive concern. It might end up with the whole tournament being a war of attrition with the winning team being which ever one avoids the most injuries and collective fatigue.

• Like 2

I bet they'll introduce unlimited rolling subs and 40 men squads to the World Cup to combat those probldms before they admit holding it in Qatar was a bad idea

Hell of a World Cup. So much fun, start to finish. 

I really enjoyed this world cup. Happy to see France win but it'd be nice to have had a new winner too.