FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

Nah, he said we would 'robustly' react to any evidence of Russian involvement but 'robustly' is political speak for 'fuck all'.

• Like 2

We can boycott the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on the basis of human rights abuses and then be really disappointed when the next three World Cups are awarded to the Phillippines, North Korea and Somalia.

• Like 1

Its less about human rights abuses at this point and more about making an actual diplomatic stand over the disgraceful behaviour being perpetrated by the Russian government. There were calls for boycott over Sochi 2014 after the Ukraine situation but ultimately nothing happened outside of a few Ukrainian athletes choosing not to attend. The World Cup is a much larger stage for sending a message that Russia engages in way too much covert political bullshit to remain on friendly terms with the West (and also it isn't like England have a chance of making it past the quarter finals :shifty:).

I was already in favour of that alternate tournament idea which was floated around in November but now I think we should pull out and begin discussions about it with other football associations. There are enough teams who didn't qualify to easily make an appealing 8 team tournament without even considering England. A 16 team tournament even seems plausible to be honest.

• Like 1

What's the point? Nobody would watch some second rate, second tier tournament instead of the World Cup. I don't care what anyone says, do you want to watch Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo duking it out or do you want to watch the worst Dutch team ever battle for a low-rent trophy with the USA, a Buffon-less Italy and Gareth Bale FC? Pie in the sky I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1