End of Year 2017

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

We usually have this topic some point in November but since we don't seem to have one yet I thought I'd make it since it usually sparks up some discussion. Tell us your musical highlights for 2017, EWB!

I've had another awesome year gigging after deciding to do it more frequently this year. This year I saw 95 live performances (32 repeats), which didn't quite beat last year (106 with 29 repeats) but it means my year average is still more or less 100, which is pleasing. I still haven't done my goal of at least one gig a month for a calendar year (damn you, August!) but I'm confident 2018 is my year.

Best gigs of the year for me were Lower Than Atlantis in February; Slam Dunk Festival in May; Neck Deep in October; and Royal Blood in November, although there were plenty of other highlights and new finds. Y Not Festival was the one big downer for this year, and whilst I won't be going next year probably I hope they bounce back.

CD-wise, my favourites from this year have been Ambitions by One OK RockGreat Heights and Nosedives by ROAM; and Paper Heart by Hunter & The Bear. All three are excellent and I will never be able to recommend the ROAM album enough.

So many other things I've enjoyed this year though, I'll see what you lot have loved first before I gush about everything though.

I have seen plenty of awesome artists live, but my main was was ticking off some amazing first times and one and only's mainly seeing Cap'n Jazz (never thought I would get to see them) and Against Me's original line up play through Reinventing Axl Rose through (twice).  So you know that has been pretty cracking!

Album wise, the best albums of 2017 for me are:

Worriers - Survivial Pop

Iron Chic - You Can't Say Here

Sincere Engineer - Rhombithian

Sorority Noise - You're not as _______ As you Think

Menzingers - After the Party

All great releases I would thorough recommend you getting your ears around.  I have particularly been enjoying the proliferation of albums and the openness of the albums by femme/non-binary artists, and how well their albums about their life experiences are being received (Sincere Engineer and Worriers for sure in this part of the list)

• Like 1

Just now, Jericode said:

Yeah, the Sorority Noise album was decent, I remember you recommending it to me. Will have to give it another listen.

Give the Iron Chic one a go for sure, has been in constant rotation for me the past few weeks

2 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Will add it to my list, got Wolf Alice and Frank Carter to get through first since they've been announced as the support for Foos. How was The Fest this year by the way?

It was amazing, that's where Sincere Engineer came from, and I got to see Against Me! twice.

Honestly I could give so much more to listen to mom jeans. were amazing and their record from 2016 probably deserves some attention, they also just signed to a new label and will have a 2018 release.

Typesetter and Meatwave were also amazing.

I got very emotional at You Blew It!'s final set, got a hug off Tanner, the lead singer too.

2018 is lining up to be amazing as I am planning on doing Fest again, but also have lined up Manchester Punk Festival in April and they have Iron Chic, Lightyear and Propagandhi playing.  £50 for 3 days is cracking.  I am also off to Pouzza Fest in Montreal in May which is very much in the same vein as Fest, but smaller scale and in Canada.

• Like 1

I already did this on another forum almost a month ago. Nothing has changed, so...

1. A Deeper Understanding by The War on Drugs
2. Lotta Sea Lice by Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile
3. Still Striving by A$AP Ferg
4. Hiss Spun by Chelsea Wolfe
5. Okovi by Zola Jesus
6. in•ter a•li•a by At the Drive-In
7. Droptopwop by Gucci Mane
8. Losing by Bully
9. Grateful by DJ Khaled
10. Add Violence EP by Nine Inch Nails

15 hours ago, Rich said:

2018 is lining up to be amazing as I am planning on doing Fest again, but also have lined up Manchester Punk Festival in April and they have Iron Chic, Lightyear and Propagandhi playing.  £50 for 3 days is cracking.

Jesus, is MPF £50 now? It's been like half that price in previous years with way better lineups, IMO.

My honorable mentions are Grizzly Bear, Petite League, Father John Misty, Adult Mom, the XX, Perfume Genius. 

But my AOTY is defo Kendrick Lamar.

My favorite song of the year was either Chanel by Frank Ocean or Losing All Sense by Grizzly Bear. 

On 12/16/2017 at 14:05, metalman said:

Off the top of my head I liked the Kid by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, the new LCD Soundsystem one and the War on Drugs one.

I never saw you liking something so pedestrian like the LCD Soundsystem.