The Thread Where We Post Christmas Music

Benji

On 07/12/2017 at 06:52, GA! said:

Interesting thing about this one is that it seems - though I might be forgetting something - to be the most recent song that entered the popular Christmas song canon. Or whatever you want to call it. You know, it has fit in with the Whams and yer Slades and Wizzards and Shakin Stevens and all that. Can't think of any other song from the last 20 years that has broken through like that. Unbelievable that Proper Crimbo never endured in that way.

7 hours ago, metalman said:

Interesting thing about this one is that it seems - though I might be forgetting something - to be the most recent song that entered the popular Christmas song canon. Or whatever you want to call it. You know, it has fit in with the Whams and yer Slades and Wizzards and Shakin Stevens and all that. Can't think of any other song from the last 20 years that has broken through like that. Unbelievable that Proper Crimbo never endured in that way.

I can't recall anything either. The Darkness' song came out in 2003. After that, it was a string of X-Factor number ones and then the charts largely becoming irrelevant with the advent of streaming which has meant nothing else entered the Christmas canon (no matter how hard The Killers try).