Sign in to follow this  
Benji

The 2018 Music Thread

Jerippon Marathon    4,922

The Gaslight Anthem are doing 10-year anniversary shows for The '59 Sound too, would love to see UK dates for that.

LittleDaniel    6,766

Jeff Rosenstock (formerly of Bomb the Music Industry!) put out his latest solo effort on New Year's and its real good.  It doesn't immediately jump out at me the way that his last two solo albums did, especially Worry, which was so fucking good, but I've also got a feeling this one's gonna be a grower.

AOTY for me so far :P

• Like 1

LittleDaniel    6,766

Also, Open Mike Eagle did a Tiny Desk Concert today and it was great.

https://www.npr.org/event/music/575072461/open-mike-eagle-tiny-desk-concert

Also, his trumpet player looks vaguely like Gabe Sapolsky to me.

• Like 1

metalman    15,130
On 03/01/2018 at 16:27, Jerichristmas said:

The Gaslight Anthem are doing 10-year anniversary shows for The '59 Sound too, would love to see UK dates for that.

Oh my God, that makes me feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago that people were going nuts for that album here. I actually saw the tour for it first time round. Not a big fan of the band but I was involved in the uni newspaper and was asked to go to the gig and interview them. Nice guys, good show.

10 years. Wow...

Edited by metalman

Benjamin    6,059
11 hours ago, livid said:

That was...unexpected

In a good or bad way? I thought it was okay, a little generic for both Kendrick Lamar and SZA considering the out-there stuff they put out, but perfectly fine radio listening, right?

livid    1,910
10 hours ago, Benjamin said:

In a good or bad way? I thought it was okay, a little generic for both Kendrick Lamar and SZA considering the out-there stuff they put out, but perfectly fine radio listening, right?

Yeah I like it. Just not what I expected from Lamar but more so the first song off the Black Panther soundtrack. 

Edited by livid

Benji    43,415

Troy Baker and the backing band from his solo album are creating another album together, this time as a proper band called "Windows To The Abbey" and are working on an album with a couple of singles already out. Looking forward to that,

I was about to make this thread and then remembered we already had it.

Marmozets, Waterparks and The Xcerts have all done superb albums since last Friday. Fall Out Boy's was meh but some of the singles are bangers.

Don Broco's next Friday too. There's about a dozen more I'm dead keen for later this year as well. Lots of good music in 2018, please :)

VerbalPuke    10,145
On 1/4/2018 at 15:00, metalman said:

Oh my God, that makes me feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago that people were going nuts for that album here. I actually saw the tour for it first time round. Not a big fan of the band but I was involved in the uni newspaper and was asked to go to the gig and interview them. Nice guys, good show.

10 years. Wow...

Ya know, I may have seen them on that tour also. I didn’t want to. 

Actually it was 09 now that I think about it.

lari    51

My first 2018 album:

T-_Bolt_Sax.jpg

Benjamin    6,059

The Weeknd dropped his EP about his breakup with Selena Gomez today and it is some lit emo goodness.

tristy    2,966
9 hours ago, Benjamin said:

The Weeknd dropped his EP about his breakup with Selena Gomez today and it is some lit emo goodness.

JSCsR4cn7xeNc49Jno3uxp0pU0eKU6dc_K7D43SH

:(

Skummy    36,526

It had somehow passed me by that Prince's original version of Nothing Compares 2 U has finally been released - it's brilliant, feels wholly a Prince classic, rather than the fairly sappy overwrought live versions that came out after Sinead O'Connor made it a hit. With the weight of a full Revolution-era production behind it, this could have easily ended up amongst his best work - which just shows how astonishingly good he really was, that he could record a song like this and think nothing of just handing it to someone else instead, because he had more than enough to go round.

Jimmy    4,217

US Girls and Soccer Mommy albums are both super great. 

And finally listened to the Charli XCX album which is like the best kind of pop goodness & ugh I love it. 

On 2/7/2018 at 14:00, Jericode said:

The Don Broco album is top notch, full of bangers.

Also this. Saw em a couple of months ago. Banger after banger. 

• Like 2

The only Charli XCX song I know is that Boom Clap one which was a guilty pleasure for a while. Might check out the album.

Broco in Cardiff was the best show I've seen in ages. Bangs even harder live.

metalman    15,130
23 hours ago, Skummy said:

It had somehow passed me by that Prince's original version of Nothing Compares 2 U has finally been released - it's brilliant, feels wholly a Prince classic, rather than the fairly sappy overwrought live versions that came out after Sinead O'Connor made it a hit. With the weight of a full Revolution-era production behind it, this could have easily ended up amongst his best work - which just shows how astonishingly good he really was, that he could record a song like this and think nothing of just handing it to someone else instead, because he had more than enough to go round.

It’s good, but I can’t help being disappointed. You know, I’d been curious about that recording for years, so I can’t help feeling a bit let down. Which is perverse, because I don’t particularly like the Sinead O’C version or the live version. But at the same time I felt it had the potential to be something I’d really love. I know that’s silly, but there you go.

tristy    2,966

Nine Inch Nails are releasing a new album, Bad Witch, on June 22nd. US tour this fall with The Jesus & Mary Chain as openers.

GA!    11,478

New Arctic Monkeys album today. I love how NME fucking hate it but don't dare say so, instead timely publishing tosh like The 10 most divisive albums of all time. At a time when NME is dying on its arse, they couldn't rely on its indie guitar saviour men, lololololol.

• Like 1

Rich    16,283
14 minutes ago, GA! said:

New Arctic Monkeys album today. I love how NME fucking hate it but don't dare say so, instead timely publishing tosh like The 10 most divisive albums of all time. At a time when NME is dying on its arse, they couldn't rely on its indie guitar saviour men, lololololol.

I like how they chose pretty much the best Pulp, Radiohead and Beatles albums <_< 

• Like 1

GA!    11,478

Bet NME are still secretly pissed off that Radiohead changed direction after The Bends.

Jimmy    4,217

I like the new Arctic Monkeys album. 

Also loving Princess Nokia's emo/rap album. 

Gonna have a proper listen of Iceage and Beach House's new albums soon. 

These are my lil updates hope you enjoy them xo

Colly    14,301

NME is dead, let it lie.