The 2018 Music Thread

Benji

Jeff Rosenstock (formerly of Bomb the Music Industry!) put out his latest solo effort on New Year's and its real good.  It doesn't immediately jump out at me the way that his last two solo albums did, especially Worry, which was so fucking good, but I've also got a feeling this one's gonna be a grower.

AOTY for me so far :P

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 16:27, Jerichristmas said:

The Gaslight Anthem are doing 10-year anniversary shows for The '59 Sound too, would love to see UK dates for that.

Oh my God, that makes me feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago that people were going nuts for that album here. I actually saw the tour for it first time round. Not a big fan of the band but I was involved in the uni newspaper and was asked to go to the gig and interview them. Nice guys, good show.

10 years. Wow...

Edited by metalman

10 hours ago, Benjamin said:

In a good or bad way? I thought it was okay, a little generic for both Kendrick Lamar and SZA considering the out-there stuff they put out, but perfectly fine radio listening, right?

Yeah I like it. Just not what I expected from Lamar but more so the first song off the Black Panther soundtrack. 

Edited by livid

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to make this thread and then remembered we already had it.

Marmozets, Waterparks and The Xcerts have all done superb albums since last Friday. Fall Out Boy's was meh but some of the singles are bangers.

Don Broco's next Friday too. There's about a dozen more I'm dead keen for later this year as well. Lots of good music in 2018, please :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 15:00, metalman said:

Oh my God, that makes me feel old. Doesn't seem that long ago that people were going nuts for that album here. I actually saw the tour for it first time round. Not a big fan of the band but I was involved in the uni newspaper and was asked to go to the gig and interview them. Nice guys, good show.

10 years. Wow...

Ya know, I may have seen them on that tour also. I didn’t want to. 

Actually it was 09 now that I think about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It had somehow passed me by that Prince's original version of Nothing Compares 2 U has finally been released - it's brilliant, feels wholly a Prince classic, rather than the fairly sappy overwrought live versions that came out after Sinead O'Connor made it a hit. With the weight of a full Revolution-era production behind it, this could have easily ended up amongst his best work - which just shows how astonishingly good he really was, that he could record a song like this and think nothing of just handing it to someone else instead, because he had more than enough to go round.

US Girls and Soccer Mommy albums are both super great. 

And finally listened to the Charli XCX album which is like the best kind of pop goodness & ugh I love it. 

On 2/7/2018 at 14:00, Jericode said:

The Don Broco album is top notch, full of bangers.

Also this. Saw em a couple of months ago. Banger after banger. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Skummy said:

It had somehow passed me by that Prince's original version of Nothing Compares 2 U has finally been released - it's brilliant, feels wholly a Prince classic, rather than the fairly sappy overwrought live versions that came out after Sinead O'Connor made it a hit. With the weight of a full Revolution-era production behind it, this could have easily ended up amongst his best work - which just shows how astonishingly good he really was, that he could record a song like this and think nothing of just handing it to someone else instead, because he had more than enough to go round.

It’s good, but I can’t help being disappointed. You know, I’d been curious about that recording for years, so I can’t help feeling a bit let down. Which is perverse, because I don’t particularly like the Sinead O’C version or the live version. But at the same time I felt it had the potential to be something I’d really love. I know that’s silly, but there you go.

• 3 weeks later...