The 2018 Music Thread

Benji

14 minutes ago, GA! said:

New Arctic Monkeys album today. I love how NME fucking hate it but don't dare say so, instead timely publishing tosh like The 10 most divisive albums of all time. At a time when NME is dying on its arse, they couldn't rely on its indie guitar saviour men, lololololol.

I like how they chose pretty much the best Pulp, Radiohead and Beatles albums <_< 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 01:33, tristy said:

Nine Inch Nails are releasing a new album, Bad Witch, on June 22nd. US tour this fall with The Jesus & Mary Chain as openers.

Physical presales only too. Kind of a neat idea.

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
YOU (AN ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) SHOW UP AT THE BOX OFFICE, INTERACT WITH THE TICKET SELLER (ANOTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) AND PURCHASE UP TO FOUR TICKETS THAT WILL ACTUALLY BE HANDED TO YOU ON THE SPOT.  THE TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ONLINE OR ANYWHERE ELSE BEFORE OR DURING THAT DAY.  ALL SEATS (INCLUDING THE BEST SEATS) WILL BE AVAILABLE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  YOU MAY ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER OTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS LIKELY WEARING BLACK CLOTHING DURING THE PROCESS AND POTENTIALLY INTERACT WITH THEM.  THE EXPERIENCE HAS THE POTENTIAL* TO BE ENJOYABLE.  NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.**

When I saw them in 2008, members of the NIN fan club got access to presale tickets before anyone else, discounted prices and access to the best available seats (or GA if you wanted it). They sent you a card in the mail with their logo on it and your name, and you had to show it at the box office to get your ticket. I was the only one in my group who was a member, so I got my ticket and got to enter the arena before they did (because the fan club got in early) and we were allowed to get merch before non-members, also at a discounted price. I don't know why they stopped doing that. It was worth it for the simple fact that you didn't have to pay $35 for a tour t-shirt, not to mention having a physical NIN fan club card with your name on it, which was pretty cool too.

That tour also introduced me to bands like HEALTH, A Place to Bury Strangers, Boris, Crystal Castles, etc. It was a good time to be a NIN fan.

I'm absolutely in love with Juliana Hatfield's new album of Olivia Newton-John covers. It's just perfect summery indie-pop, and practically all I've been listening to for the past week or so.

Most of them are reasonably straight covers - which is fine, as the songcraft behind every single track becomes apparent just hearing what was overproduced cheesy pop in a more stripped down indie rock style. It never feels like there's a drop of irony or detachment to it, though, every single song is covered in earnest, and it's wonderful.

"Magic" is probably the standout track to me, but the two singles are great fun too;

I love that she makes Physical song like it could be a swaggering cock rock brag - if you'd never heard the original, I doubt it's what you'd imagine on hearing this cover.

• 3 weeks later...

Insecure Men has been an act that's been on a bunch of festival line-ups, so looked them up. Turns out it's a former member of Fat White Family, but the sound is a complete departure from the band. Their debut album seems to have been skipped over in the indie press/forums, which is odd because it's been a really good listen imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, anybody else got a top ten for albums released so far this year? Mine, in no particular order:

Beach House, "7"
Confidence Man, "Confident Songs for Confident People"
Czarface & MF Doom, "Czarface Meets Metal Face"
Insecure Men, "Insecure Men"
Kanye West, "Ye"
Khruangbin, "Con Todo El Mundo"
Kids See Ghosts, "Kids See Ghosts"
Let's Eat Grandma, "I'm All Ears"
LUMP, "LUMP"
Sophie, "Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides"

Ooh, great question. Let me see...

Don Broco - Technology
Marmozets - Knowing What You Know Now
Panic at the Disco - Pray for the Wicked
State Champs - Living Proof
The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart

After those, there's a whole bunch that either land in the 'meh' category, I haven't listened to enough to decide, or just haven't come out yet. I fully expect The Great Depression by As It Is to land in my top ten based on the first two singles.

I will definitely revisit this question to come up with another five.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2018 at 22:42, Jerazil said:

Don Broco - Technology
Marmozets - Knowing What You Know Now
Panic at the Disco - Pray for the Wicked
State Champs - Living Proof
The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart

Okay, to provisionally fill this whilst I come up with something more concrete:

Manic Street Preachers - Everything is Futile
Ghost - Prequelle
Fall Out Boy - Mania
Parkway Drive - Reverence
Waterparks - Entertainment

That will almost certainly change by the time I do an end of year list. Those are the last five from this year that have made any sort of impression on me so they'll do in the name of a top ten.

I seem to have the same problem every year where I get halfway through the year and I've spent more time listening to albums from last year that I didn't get around to. I've been hooked on Creeper's Eternity In Your Arms for a while now having never listened to Creeper before seeing them earlier this year, would almost certainly have made my list last year but didn't even know it existed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

XTlaBBT.jpg

This is the fifty releases (i.e. albums and EPs) from this year that I have listened to, though I still have a big old backlog.

It's gonna be difficult to settle on a top ten/fifteen, what with the quality of the year. That said, it's probably between Low, Insecure Men, SOPHIE and IDLES for my personal album of the year.