Sign in to follow this  
Benji

The 2018 Music Thread

On 11/05/2018 at 01:33, tristy said:

Nine Inch Nails are releasing a new album, Bad Witch, on June 22nd. US tour this fall with The Jesus & Mary Chain as openers.

Physical presales only too. Kind of a neat idea.

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
YOU (AN ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) SHOW UP AT THE BOX OFFICE, INTERACT WITH THE TICKET SELLER (ANOTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEING) AND PURCHASE UP TO FOUR TICKETS THAT WILL ACTUALLY BE HANDED TO YOU ON THE SPOT.  THE TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ONLINE OR ANYWHERE ELSE BEFORE OR DURING THAT DAY.  ALL SEATS (INCLUDING THE BEST SEATS) WILL BE AVAILABLE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.  YOU MAY ACTUALLY ENCOUNTER OTHER ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS LIKELY WEARING BLACK CLOTHING DURING THE PROCESS AND POTENTIALLY INTERACT WITH THEM.  THE EXPERIENCE HAS THE POTENTIAL* TO BE ENJOYABLE.  NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.**

tristy    2,881

When I saw them in 2008, members of the NIN fan club got access to presale tickets before anyone else, discounted prices and access to the best available seats (or GA if you wanted it). They sent you a card in the mail with their logo on it and your name, and you had to show it at the box office to get your ticket. I was the only one in my group who was a member, so I got my ticket and got to enter the arena before they did (because the fan club got in early) and we were allowed to get merch before non-members, also at a discounted price. I don't know why they stopped doing that. It was worth it for the simple fact that you didn't have to pay $35 for a tour t-shirt, not to mention having a physical NIN fan club card with your name on it, which was pretty cool too.

That tour also introduced me to bands like HEALTH, A Place to Bury Strangers, Boris, Crystal Castles, etc. It was a good time to be a NIN fan.

Skummy    35,574

I'm absolutely in love with Juliana Hatfield's new album of Olivia Newton-John covers. It's just perfect summery indie-pop, and practically all I've been listening to for the past week or so.

Most of them are reasonably straight covers - which is fine, as the songcraft behind every single track becomes apparent just hearing what was overproduced cheesy pop in a more stripped down indie rock style. It never feels like there's a drop of irony or detachment to it, though, every single song is covered in earnest, and it's wonderful.

"Magic" is probably the standout track to me, but the two singles are great fun too;

I love that she makes Physical song like it could be a swaggering cock rock brag - if you'd never heard the original, I doubt it's what you'd imagine on hearing this cover.

Gorka    1,054

Insecure Men has been an act that's been on a bunch of festival line-ups, so looked them up. Turns out it's a former member of Fat White Family, but the sound is a complete departure from the band. Their debut album seems to have been skipped over in the indie press/forums, which is odd because it's been a really good listen imo.

GoGo Yubari    28,444

new Gorillaz album coming out in like a month, a refreshing change from the usual half-decade wait.

• Like 1

livid    1,795

Pleasantly surprised this isn't awful!

Gorka    1,054

SOPHIE's new album is definitely an album of the year contender. Wow. 

livid    1,795

Childish Gambino has released 2 new summer-themed songs.

oGAda    11,269

The Lightning Seeds (and two comedians) have topped the UK chart, @PolaMDK. First time a particular song has topped the chart 4 separate times.