2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

42 minutes ago, Meacon said:

And now Plawecki. How goes that platoon behind the plate, @Buschoru Suzuki?

This will probably come back to bite me but I really am not concerned about it.  Neither Plawecki nor d'Arnaud were hitting a lick.  Tomas Nido's bat may not be ready but he's a well-regarded defensive prospect who was rated one of the top pitch framers in the minor leagues.  And Jose Lobaton's always been known as a no-hit, solid glove catcher that many teams have as their backup anyway.

Nido and Lobaton are both better defensively than Plawecki and d'Arnaud.  So it may be a lateral or slight downgrade offensively but notable upgrade defensively, which will make the pitching staff better.  I can live with that.

This weather crap in middle America is laaaaaaaaaaame.

Yesterday's Yankee/Tigers game was postponed due to weather. No biggie. The best part of it was that it meant they were going to play a double header today! I was so excited!

But now game one of that doubleheader is also postponed. I was going to enjoy a full day of nothing but Yankees baseball, but now I'll be lucky to see even one game. Get your shit together, middle America. :angry:

On 4/13/2018 at 15:12, Buschoru Suzuki said:

This will probably come back to bite me but I really am not concerned about it.  Neither Plawecki nor d'Arnaud were hitting a lick.  Tomas Nido's bat may not be ready but he's a well-regarded defensive prospect who was rated one of the top pitch framers in the minor leagues.  And Jose Lobaton's always been known as a no-hit, solid glove catcher that many teams have as their backup anyway.

Nido and Lobaton are both better defensively than Plawecki and d'Arnaud.  So it may be a lateral or slight downgrade offensively but notable upgrade defensively, which will make the pitching staff better.  I can live with that.

I'd rather have a defensive catcher who can make the pitching better than an offense-first catcher. It's a little more of a luxury in the AL with the benefit of the DH, but with the way NL games play out it certainly helps to have those first 5 innings taken care of, and 6 if you're at home.

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

This weather crap in middle America is laaaaaaaaaaame.

Yesterday's Yankee/Tigers game was postponed due to weather. No biggie. The best part of it was that it meant they were going to play a double header today! I was so excited!

But now game one of that doubleheader is also postponed. I was going to enjoy a full day of nothing but Yankees baseball, but now I'll be lucky to see even one game. Get your shit together, middle America. :angry:

It's also messing with my Jay's. But it does mean a double header for us too. Unfortunately it's going to be a weekday which means I won't get to see it anyway. Bastards!

Also my race today was rained out and will continue tomorrow....when I'm working

Every year without fail there are complaints about MLB scheduling early season games in cold weather cities and every year without fail there are a bunch of cancellations due to rain or snow.  The solution proposed is usually just to schedule most/all of the early season games in places where the weather is unlikely to cause a cancellation.

The problem is if you do that - where do you draw the line?  Toronto and Milwaukee can get a pass because they have retractable roofs, but outside of them you can make the case that Detroit, Minnesota, Colorado, Boston, both New York teams, both Chicago teams, both Pennsylvania teams, and both Ohio teams should be avoided for early home games.  That's over a third of the league.

And how long do you wait?  We're in the third week of the season now and this is happening.  You can't have a team spend a month on the road, and you shouldn't punish the nice weather teams by making them be on the road a ton in the second half to make up for the fact that they had to host all the time in April.  Look at what a mess the Central divisions in particular would be.

Kansas City had to postpone today too. If they played here today, the Orioles would have had to postpone. Unless you're on the west coast, Houston, Texas, Atlanta, or a Florida team weather can wreak havoc on you in April or October.

I did read an argument that MLB should be proactive with doubleheaders. Say you know a storm is coming, you reschedule the game for the day before and make a doubleheader. It is a nightmare for fans, but it gets the games in and helps teams avoid the dreaded one-day stopover back in a city.

15 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Kansas City had to postpone today too. If they played here today, the Orioles would have had to postpone. Unless you're on the west coast, Houston, Texas, Atlanta, or a Florida team weather can wreak havoc on you in April or October.

I did read an argument that MLB should be proactive with doubleheaders. Say you know a storm is coming, you reschedule the game for the day before and make a doubleheader. It is a nightmare for fans, but it gets the games in and helps teams avoid the dreaded one-day stopover back in a city.

I don't know how you would handle ticket sales for that though. 

I feel like they should just play fewer games. 

58 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I don't know how you would handle ticket sales for that though. 

I feel like they should just play fewer games. 

Meacon is about to beat you with a bat I feel. :P

• Like 1

I was as excited about the Mets' 12-2 start as anyone, but I honestly just groaned hearing people having a laugh at how bad the Nats have been to start the year.  People were calling into WFAN acting like a 6 game lead division meant anything this early, which is ridiculous.

And just like that, the Mets' bullpen implodes and blows a 6-1 lead in the 8th inning at home and the Nats show why they're still the team to beat in the division.