2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

23 hours ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Here's a good Fangraphs article that breaks it down: https://www.fangraphs.com/library/basic-principles-of-free-agent-contract-evaluation/

Thanks for that. I mainly want it for when I start playing OOTP again because I suck at knowing what to offer someone contract wise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Pending a physical, Adrian Gonzalez is gonna be a Met. @Buschoru Suzuki

I'm happy with it.  He may not have anything left in the tank but I see no problem with bringing a proven guy in to push Dom Smith in spring.

I want to punch Keith Law repeatedly because he goes out of his way to rip the Mets for everything, including this move.

There is literally zero downside.  The Braves are paying Gonzo's salary so the Mets can cut him if he doesn't show enough to crack the Opening Day roster.

He’s from Long Island isn’t he? He’s probably just a jaded fan.

Also the Yankees apparently pulled their offer for Yu Darvish. And after hearing the offer, I couldn’t be happier. 7 year deal for $160 million? No thanks. Keep talking to Detroit about Fulmer, Cashman, and save those silly offers for next years class.

Yeah he probably is jaded.  I remember last year Law kept writing about what a joke the Tebow thing was.  How he was the worst prospect he'd ever covered and how it was a joke that he was taking an Arizona Fall League spot from someone else who could've used it.

Specifically he hated that the Tebow thing was being done for publicity, so his response was to write a million articles about it and give it even more publicity.

I gotta say, I feel bad for the Pirates. A two decade long stretch of losing seasons.  Then they finally turn the corner to make the playoffs three straight years but it's in the two Wild Card era, which led to them getting blanked by Bumgarner and Arrieta at home in consecutive seasons.

Like yeah obviously it's better than constant losing seasons, but still that lengthy rebuild didn't really amount to much.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Andrew McCutchen to the Giants. The Pirates have officially folded this hand.

This was inevitable. They didn't have Cutch come to their fan showcase thing or whatever, it was all the younger players and some prospects. This despite the fact that McCutchen lives in Pittsburgh.