2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

I remember 2003 because the ALCS and NLCS were in the national conversation for the first time in years, with everyone assuming we were getting a feel-good Red Sox-Cubs World Series. Instead the Marlins won it all.

But yeah that postseason set baseball up good for the next few years and then a decade of relative parity got a lot of markets involved in the season into September. Now 1/3 of the league isn't trying and it's showing.

John Ricco confirmed today that the Mets aren't calling up Peter Alonso despite his 33 home run season in the minors, citing defensive struggles and a lack of playing time available to him.

Both are bullshit reasons. The Mets have very blatantly disregarded defense in favor of offense in nearly all of their moves during the Alderson era. As for playing time, you can't reference that as a reason to not call someone up when you're the one who decides who plays. I'll always love Wilmer Flores, but we know what he is. Getting Alonso a month against MLB pitching is more valuable than throwing Flores and Jay Bruce out there every day.

The reality is they're not calling him up because he's not Rule 5 Draft eligible this winter, so therefore they don't need to add him to the 40 man roster yet, and now by holding him out September they can save service time. I guarantee he won't be the Opening Day 1B next year either even if he hits 20 HRs in camp. They'll wait until 3 weeks in just like every team does with their star prospects to ensure an extra year of service.

Really hate this service time shit and wish the players and agents had more power to do something about this.

1 minute ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

John Ricco confirmed today that the Mets aren't calling up Peter Alonso despite his 33 home run season in the minors, citing defensive struggles and a lack of playing time available to him.

Both are bullshit reasons. The Mets have very blatantly disregarded defense in favor of offense in nearly all of their moves during the Alderson era. As for playing time, you can't reference that as a reason to not call someone up when you're the one who decides who plays. I'll always love Wilmer Flores, but we know what he is. Getting Alonso a month against MLB pitching is more valuable than throwing Flores and Jay Bruce out there every day.

The reality is they're not calling him up because he's not Rule 5 Draft eligible this winter, so therefore they don't need to add him to the 40 man roster yet, and now by holding him out September they can save service time. I guarantee he won't be the Opening Day 1B next year either even if he hits 20 HRs in camp. They'll wait until 3 weeks in just like every team does with their star prospects to ensure an extra year of service.

Really hate this service time shit and wish the players and agents had more power to do something about this.

Yeah, this is the same reason Vlad Guerrero Jr. isn't going to get called up this September. None of our real prospects will be. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Lots of rumours floating around about Donaldson going to either STL or CLE after clearing waivers.

I don't know. The value is sooo low. I'd rather they qualify him and he either comes back for a year or we get a draft pick. 

They are saying that the Jays would be dumb to qualify him because of Vlad Jr, but honestly, I would go that route. Donaldson can play 1B or DH when they call up Guerrero. Or they can each play 3B/DH for a bit. Trading low on Donaldson is a bad idea. If they can't get a prospect worth at least what they would get with a compensatory pick (should he decline a QO), then it's not worthwhile.

Better to have Donaldson at $18 million next year and let him try to rebuild his trade value while Vlad Jr works his way into the everyday 3B slot. Of course, if they can't unload Morales, then there won't be much time available at DH, so that could complicate matters a bit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

They also sent Granderson to the Brewers.

Would have been more fun if they sent Josh to a team who has a logo I can root for.

It's all good. He will be in Boston or New York or Miami next year anyways. Wait, is next year the year where Miami gets to the part of their cycle where they just throw money at all of the free agents before blowing it up the next season?