2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

11 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

McCutchen looks so weird without a beard.  Yanks gotta get rid of that dumb ass rule and join us in the 21st century.

Apparently he shaved while holding his son to make sure his son would recognise him. :wub:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

Thank god the O's got swept by KC this weekend. We've now got a hefty lead on the top pick in the draft!

You'll draft easily the best player there is, he'll ask for a reasonable amount for a #1 pick, Peter Angelos will low-ball him, and he'll end up going (back) to college instead of your cheap-ass franchise. :P

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly two and a half years since his last big league game, the Mets will be activating David Wright for the final homestand and will start him on Saturday the 29th in what will be the final game of his career.

Wright didn't say that he was retiring, but he characterized his injuries as "debilitating" and tearfully conceded that there's not much point in him continuing to try to push through it.  With two years left on his deal, I'd assume the Mets will do what the Rangers did with Prince Fielder and work out an agreement with the league and the insurance company so that the player can be released to free up the 40-man roster spot while the player still receives their normal pay and benefits.

Gutting situation, but I hope he can find some closure in getting one last game at Citi Field.

I feel bad for David Wright. He was a great leader and a great player and then injuries took their toll. Probably in the same category as Chase Utley when HOF talk comes up when you look at their peak years and say "wow they're definitely a lock" and then realize after 30 they didn't manage to do much else. For the record I believe you only vote in on peak years and not career totals, but I'm in the minority.

Wright was still on a clear HOF pace through his tenth season (2013, 30 years old).  His RBI numbers took a hit because he was routinely the only player in the lineup worth a damn, but he was still on track.  Then in 2014 he only missed a month but was starting to press from carrying the lineup and he had his worst season, but I don''t remember thinking that he was on the downslide yet and he should still be able to get to Cooperstown.  I couldn't have imagined that he'd go on to only play in 75 more games across the next four seasons combined.

As it is, I'm wondering if the team will retire his number.  I don't think for a second that another Met will ever wear #5, but I don't know if they'll hang the number up on the wall or not because they are very selective about it.  Casey Stengel and Gil Hodges were special circumstances, beyond them the only numbers to be retired were Seaver and Piazza who just so happened to be the only two players to go into the HOF with a Mets cap which leads to the assumption that that's now the team policy.  At the same time, they have at least three numbers unofficially retired as Gary Carter's #8, Keith Hernandez' #17, and Willie Mays' #24 do not get issued.

Personally, I hope they bend the policy for Wright.  Mostly because I think unofficially retiring numbers is dumb, you either commit to it or you don't.  But also because it's not Wright's fault that his career got cut short.

On 13/09/2018 at 22:39, GhostMachine said:

Jacob deGrom will be playing elsewhere once he can either demand a trade or his contract is up.

David Wright could have just used "playing for the Mets" as grounds for retirement. More than acceptable. 

Spoken like a true Yankees fan.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2018 at 00:10, Busch Luck Fale said:

Wright was still on a clear HOF pace through his tenth season (2013, 30 years old).  His RBI numbers took a hit because he was routinely the only player in the lineup worth a damn, but he was still on track.  Then in 2014 he only missed a month but was starting to press from carrying the lineup and he had his worst season, but I don''t remember thinking that he was on the downslide yet and he should still be able to get to Cooperstown.  I couldn't have imagined that he'd go on to only play in 75 more games across the next four seasons combined.

As it is, I'm wondering if the team will retire his number.  I don't think for a second that another Met will ever wear #5, but I don't know if they'll hang the number up on the wall or not because they are very selective about it.  Casey Stengel and Gil Hodges were special circumstances, beyond them the only numbers to be retired were Seaver and Piazza who just so happened to be the only two players to go into the HOF with a Mets cap which leads to the assumption that that's now the team policy.  At the same time, they have at least three numbers unofficially retired as Gary Carter's #8, Keith Hernandez' #17, and Willie Mays' #24 do not get issued.

Personally, I hope they bend the policy for Wright.  Mostly because I think unofficially retiring numbers is dumb, you either commit to it or you don't.  But also because it's not Wright's fault that his career got cut short.

David Wright will probably always be the first player I think of when I think New York Mets.

Addison Russell placed on administrative leave after a blog post detailing abuse by his ex-wife. 

Edited by High Overlord Cloudfang