Sign in to follow this  
Buschie Van Wagenen

2018 MLB Thread

ClouDOOM    17,067

The gloves are always off when it's the Yankees, you've been a fan for how long? You should know this! :P I'll throw bombs if I gotta!

GhostMachine    1,036
50 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Some asshat voted for Scherzer to deprive deGrom of the unanimous win.

Some other asshat is both getting laughed at AND reamed on Facebook for saying Scherzer should have won. (I'm one of those laughing at him.)

Meacon    22,400

220 innings pitched, 300 strike outs, and a WHIP of .90. I'm fine with deGrom winning, but let's not act like the guy voted for Ivan Nova or something. Scherzer still put together a ridiculously good year that would be Cy Young winning in any other year than this. 

GhostMachine    1,036

I think its a combination of Nationals fan (or Mets  hater) and someone who thinks wins-losses matter even if you're the best pitcher on a garbage team type situation, Meacon.

Meacon    22,400

I’m neither a National fan or Met hater, but I think it’s odd to mock or belittle someone for thinking Scherzer had a Cy Young type year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

If you're going to grade Andujar's poor fielding against him, you absolutely have to count Ohtani DH'ing against him. 

Not really.  Strictly in terms of defense a guy who doesn’t field at all is more valuable than a guy who fields and actively hurts his team while doing so.

Meacon    22,400

Harold Baines and his 2800 hits would be in the Hall of Fame if he had played the outfield more and DH'd less. 

Andujar also didn't miss two months of the season. He also didn't strike out 33% of his at-bats. But I digress. 

Not Ohtani’s fault that voters are only now starting to realize that punishing guys for primarily DHing is stupid.  He was on pace to surpass Andujar in more offensive categories.  Can’t argue the strikeouts other than to say they’re sky high league wide with no signs of coming down.

Anyway, Andujar’s really good, but I think if he and Ohtani’s teams were flipped there would be no outcry from the NY media over who won the award.

I've also got one of my friends who is a Red Sox fan kvetching about Alex Cora not winning Manager of the Year (Bob Melvin and Brian Snitker won).  "How can he not be Manager of the Year when he won 108 games in his rookie year?"

I don't understand the beef other than blatant homerism.  It didn't take an Einstein to run that team.  The award usually always goes based on whatever team exceeded expectations.  Not saying Cora isn't a good manager but that team was so stacked I'm fairly sure anybody in this thread could've gotten them to the playoffs.

Meacon    22,400

“On pace to surpass” means he did not actually do it. Shouldn’t give out awards on projections. The list of guys winning based on projected stats is about as long as the list of DH award winners. 😛 

But yeah, I never got Yankee/Red Sox fans getting upset about their managers not winning manager of the year. Look at how much money you spent on that team. You better damn well win 108 games and the World Series. You’re not winning 90 games with change you found in the sofa like Tampa (...Bay!!!)

Yes but it's not like Ohtani's projections are based on an insignificant amount of playing time (though I do love joking about "on pace for" stats a week into the season), he only appeared as a hitter in 45 fewer games which is barely over a quarter of the season.  He did enough to at least make the argument he would've surpassed Andujar in HR and other categories.  Keith Law's the first guy to yell about small sample size and he voted Ohtani.

I think we can all agree though that the worst ballot belonged to Dick Scanlon of the Tampa Bay Ledger.  Not only was he the only ballot to leave off Ohtani, he also left off Torres in favor of Joey Wendle and Ryan Yarbrough.  Did he leave Ohtani off because he missed time?  No - he left him off because he "doesn't consider him a rookie" since he played at a very high level in another league.  Terrible.

Can't wait to see what that guy's HOF ballot looks like.

Shohei Ohtani was absolutely the right choice. Not only was just as good as Andujar (struck out a little more, got on base a little more). Had nearly the same number of home runs and pitched for a third of the season and was above average. He was more valuable of a player than Andujar.

• Like 1

El TiBear Jew    1,675

So, so, so happy about DeGrom being Cy Young 😍

Marlins have new logo and colors (in spoilers bc of size)

Spoiler

Secondary%20Logo.png

Colors are listed officially as Caliente Red, Miami Blue, Midnight Black, and Slate Grey. Kinda sorta reminds me of the Heat's Vice jerseys 

Probably won't happen, but it'd be interesting to see an all-black road or alternate uniform that looked something like this

Meacon    22,400

Christian Yelich is your 2018 NL MVP.

Mookie Betts is your 2018 AL MVP. 

• Like 1

damsher hatfield    9,305

Mike Trout has now been runner up 4 times. He's won 2 MVPs. He's been in the league for 8 seasons.

I think that's a pretty good track record.

• Like 1

Meacon    22,400
27 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Mike Trout has now been runner up 4 times. He's won 2 MVPs. He's been in the league for 8 seasons.

I think that's a pretty good track record.

If only there was an award for "Best Player". He'd be a solid 6 or 7 time winner. 

• Like 1

GhostMachine    1,036
12 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

I've also got one of my friends who is a Red Sox fan kvetching about Alex Cora not winning Manager of the Year (Bob Melvin and Brian Snitker won).  "How can he not be Manager of the Year when he won 108 games in his rookie year?"

I don't understand the beef other than blatant homerism.  It didn't take an Einstein to run that team.  The award usually always goes based on whatever team exceeded expectations.  Not saying Cora isn't a good manager but that team was so stacked I'm fairly sure anybody in this thread could've gotten them to the playoffs.

I'm a Red Sox fan, and I don't have a problem with Cora not winning it.  Bob Melvin absolutely deserved it.

damsher hatfield    9,305
1 hour ago, Meacon said:

If only there was an award for "Best Player". He'd be a solid 6 or 7 time winner. 

Depending on the year voters treat MVP like that. 

37 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I'm a Red Sox fan, and I don't have a problem with Cora not winning it.  Bob Melvin absolutely deserved it.

Wow did you lose a bet and have to spend the offseason saying you like Boston?

• Like 2

Meacon    22,400

No joke on nothing, I like ‘em.

• Like 1

Me too. I think I'd like the blue one more if it had Marlins written across the shirt but it's still fine. 

Maxx    17,319
19 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

It's an upgrade. But another team wearing red and blue is boring. They had teal, why can't they go back to teal?

Yeah but this red is caliente 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2