2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I had to explain to my father in law, several times during the game, why it's not okay for a stadium of non-Native Americans to be doing the chant and chop. Then he went off about how all these teams are going to have to change their names, the world is too sensitive, and the names don't even really matter anyways. So I asked why it matters if the names change, and he got all mad about it.

I feel like we'll see most of these culturally insensitive names change over the next ten to fifteen years, but the older generations are still holding onto their closet racism and fighting it with what energy they have left.

Personally, I'm hoping for this:

Image result for Atlanta Braves MeridaImage result for Cleveland Rocks logo

Let's get a Pixar and Drew Carey connection going in MLB.

At least the Florida State Seminole Vesicles can claim they asked permission.

I can't say I'm surprised to see Cleveland lay an egg in the playoffs.  In a normal year, 91 wins is quite good - but in a year where nearly three teams in your division lost 100 games, not so much.

The division likely being bad next year is the only thing keeping me from saying their window of contention is closed.

The Mets are starting their first round of GM interviews. Apparently a dozen or so candidates will be interviewed this week, but they won't publicly disclose until they pare the list down next week.

Names that have leaked as being scheduled for interviews:

Gary LaRocque
Doug Melvin
Kim Ng
DeJon Watson

From that group, the only one I have any interest in is Ng. The other three are all old school baseball minds who are likely to ignore analytics. Unfortunately, all signs point to that being exactly what Fred Wilpon is looking for.  He repeatedly declined Sandy Alderson's requests to expand the Mets' analytics department because he's one of those "go with your gut, not the numbers" types that there are still far too many of in baseball.

Of course, no matter who is picked, the Wilpons are still going to require final approval on all baseball decisions.  That's why people like Ben Cherington and Thad Levine declined invitations.  In a weird way, I don't know if I can trust whoever they hire because whoever takes the job is clearly okay with dealing with ownership that will meddle and undercut.