2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

6 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Oh, at least be a little optimistic. With the new stadium, they're sure to attract more fans. It'll be 7,003.

There is no justification for them getting a new stadium at all. Even if they shared it with the Buccaneers, it would be a bad idea. They need to relocate to another state (or Canada), if anything. 

A $900 million dollar stadium? Hmm....should take...what...about 500 years to pay off.

To be fair, I think getting a new stadium in Montreal would be just as difficult as getting one in Tampa Bay. 

2 hours ago, Meacxico said:

James Paxton just got pulled out of the first inning with an apparent injury. If he's hurt for more than a few weeks, Seattle's going to be shopping for a starting pitcher heavily.

Do they still have that Griffey fellow? I heard he's a really good baseball. We'll take him for Roger Clemens. Or maybe the Indians still have that Vaughn guy, you know, Wild Thing. He might be an easier trade target, but they gotta make sure he wears his glasses, that damn punk.

• Like 1

The Yankees, Brewers, and Dodgers have apparently "separated themselves from the pack" in offers for Manny Machado. The Yankees made a "very strong" offer last night, that did NOT include Justus Sheffield, which is great because with Monty out with TJS, and Sonny Gray sucking butt, and no movement in acquiring a new starter, he may end up being our new #5 at some point in the near future. 

I'm really curious what the offer consists of. I'd imagine it includes Didi or Andujar. If we send Miggy, I suppose to we move Machado back to third, which doesn't really bode well for retaining him next year if his heart is deadset on playing shortstop. 

Honestly, and I don't like myself for saying this, but I'd rather us send them Didi. I love me some Didi, but an infield of Torres (when he's back healthy) at second, Machado at short, and Andujar at third is just glorious. If only Greg Bird could get his shit together. 

1 hour ago, Meacxico said:

The Yankees, Brewers, and Dodgers have apparently "separated themselves from the pack" in offers for Manny Machado. The Yankees made a "very strong" offer last night, that did NOT include Justus Sheffield, which is great because with Monty out with TJS, and Sonny Gray sucking butt, and no movement in acquiring a new starter, he may end up being our new #5 at some point in the near future. 

I'm really curious what the offer consists of. I'd imagine it includes Didi or Andujar. If we send Miggy, I suppose to we move Machado back to third, which doesn't really bode well for retaining him next year if his heart is deadset on playing shortstop. 

Honestly, and I don't like myself for saying this, but I'd rather us send them Didi. I love me some Didi, but an infield of Torres (when he's back healthy) at second, Machado at short, and Andujar at third is just glorious. If only Greg Bird could get his shit together. 

The other prospects in the deal would have to be quite good for the Orioles to take Didi. Otherwise, they're potentially just waiting to try and trade him in a year or two for a prospect that's not as good as what you'd get for Manny. 

Just now, Ms. Croatian Destroyer said:

The other prospects in the deal would have to be quite good for the Orioles to take Didi. Otherwise, they're potentially just waiting to try and trade him in a year or two for a prospect that's not as good as what you'd get for Manny. 

Yeah, I know it's most likely Andujar over Didi, but I'm trying to will it to happen.

I'm sure it's something like Andujar, Frazier, Drury, and Abreu orAdams. 

18 hours ago, Ms. Croatian Destroyer said:

To be fair, I think getting a new stadium in Montreal would be just as difficult as getting one in Tampa Bay. 

True, but the point is they shouldn't be getting a new stadium at all. At least in Florida. Their attendance does not justify one.

On 12/07/2018 at 20:02, Ms. Croatian Destroyer said:

Yeah, I just got back from there and downtown is all cranes building new highrises. They're running out of space to put a downtown baseball stadium, and if that happens where the heck does it even go? What's the point of getting a team back there if there's no downtown stadium anyway?

On 13/07/2018 at 10:55, Meacxico said:

Yeah, I know it's most likely Andujar over Didi, but I'm trying to will it to happen.

I'm sure it's something like Andujar, Frazier, Drury, and Abreu orAdams. 

Since there's enough of a bidding war Andujar is absolutely in any package. The fact it didn't include Sheffield is stunning since everything I read for awhile is the O's want major league or high minor level pitching prospects. But if there's one thing I trust the Orioles to do it's to fuck up the Manny Machado trade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

Rumor around Philly is that their offer to the O’s includes Sixto Sanchez, who prior to this run they’re on was considered untouchable by them. 

Given the people in the Philly front office I always considered them favorites. Just a lot of former Oriole guys over there, with MacPhail at the helm. If they're including Sixto Sanchez that's real big, especially since I figured they'd be fine waiting under the offseason to sign him. But I guess they see a wide open NL East and figure they might as well go for it.

2 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

They seem to think they’re a bat and a bullpen arm (perhaps Britton rides up I-95 with Manny?) away from being legit pennant contenders according to the two people I know who work with the Phils.

They really might be, the NL is just so wide open and if you can make the World Series it really is 50/50 odds since baseball is weird.

Soon to be Chicago Cub Bryce Harper better start hitting well above the Mendoza line if he's going to be getting that $400 million contract everyone was talking about during last off-season. Most guys kill it their contract year. He's hitting the home runs still, but .214 ain't gonna cut it.

Also I completely forgot the Home Run Derby was even on.