2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

5 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

But you’ll be competing for a World Series next year! They promise!

Things that are more likely:

-Knicks win the NBA Title
-Browns win the Super Bowl
-Trump gains a sense of humility
-Vince gives up on Roman Reigns experiment
-Becky Lynch asks me on a date

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

I’ll take the bet that the Mets win it all before the Knicks. We’re in the same sad little boat when it comes to basketball. :( 

• Sad 1

Orioles are all in on Victor Victor Mesa. They traded Gausman and O'Day to Atlanta for some average prospects and $2.5 million in int'l money.

Schoop went to Milwaukee for a decent haul, a buy-low on Luis Ortiz along with Villar who can be a warm body on the big league club right away, and Carmona who is 18 so that could turn into anything.

The Pirates making that Archer trade is wild. I know it's a great contract and they have years of control but they gave up a ton for him.

6 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

40 minutes ago, Meacxico said:

Next years World Series champions are losing 25-1 😶

*adds "Bama misses out on a major bowl game", "Bartolo Colon inside the park home run", and "threesome with the cute girls from marketing" to list*

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Meacxico said:

I’ll take the bet that the Mets win it all before the Knicks. We’re in the same sad little boat when it comes to basketball. :( 

The Mets winning the World Series in a sweep over  a 100+ win team is more likely to happen before the Knicks win an NBA championship. 

If the Yankees are knocked out in the Wild Card game, the backlash that results from the media will be substantial enough that I think it might get the rules changed.

I don't think they're ever getting rid of the second Wild Card because the league wants more teams to be competitive.  And I'm not sure they'd want to make it a full three game series due to scheduling issues with the rest of the playoffs.

But a cool happy medium would be to go the college route.  Play a Wild Card game, if the fourth seed wins they advance, if the fifth seed wins they'd need to win a second game.  Maybe with the caveat that if both teams have the same record, it'll just be a one game series no matter what.  Would incentivize teams to play right up until Game 162.

I give the Mets a lot of shit, but do you know who was a great Met and doesn't get as much love as he should? Todd Hundley. I was by no means a Mets fan, but I did love me some Toddy Hundley. Injuries derailed him and then he was shipped out when Piazza came in, but he was a fun ballplayer. 

No idea where that came from. His name just popped in my head.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Meacxico said:

I give the Mets a lot of shit, but do you know who was a great Met and doesn't get as much love as he should? Todd Hundley. I was by no means a Mets fan, but I did love me some Toddy Hundley. Injuries derailed him and then he was shipped out when Piazza came in, but he was a fun ballplayer. 

No idea where that came from. His name just popped in my head.

Huntley was one of the Mets I remember watching growing up...along with Butch Huskey, Bernard Gilkey, and Rey Ordonez.  His 41 HR season being revealed as resulting from steroids was no great surprise.

On the subject of former ballplayers...the sister of one of my colleagues went out on a few dates with Bernie Williams in the past few months.  They met at a function they were both out.

Said he was a nice guy but really, really quiet and surprisingly shy.  She stopped seeing him but he tries to reconnect with her now and then to no avail. :(

With the Reds coming to town this week, it'll mark Matt Harvey's return to Queens.  Knowing that many of the New York reporters were going to want to go to the visitor's clubhouse to attend Harvey's media briefing, the Mets requested Harvey speak at either 3:45 or 4:15 so as to not clash with Mickey Callaway's regularly scheduled 4 PM briefing.

Harvey then decided to have his briefing at 4 PM too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1