EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017:

We saw a lot of Favorite Show mainstays get cut down before even the Top 50 cutoff (17 points, two ballots). Will we see more go down in the first batch of updates? Yes, at least one. Here comes a big damn tie.

ZXgfPZO.png

47 (tie). Fargo (17 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

s7vHnj1.png

47 (tie). NCIS New Orleans (17 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #46)

dcM24pu.png

47 (tie). Star Trek: Discovery (17 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

UMbENTa.png

47 (tie). Supernatural (17 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #18)

IXu48SD.png

46. Blue Planet 2 (Last Year: N/A)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Music is very powerful, like that Kars 4 Kids commercial. Before I saw that commercial I wanted to donate a car to kids, but that song changed my mind.

PLUS, the winner of Best New Character, a thing I started this year that a few of you actually took part in!!!

• Like 3

Fargo's voterbase showing up after the cutoff date, blast! Anyway, Fargo season 3 wasn't my favorite season of Fargo but it was a season of Fargo and so it still holds a special place in my heart. I'm hoping to start on Discovery sometime within the next month or two. And they almost came close to stopping they'll never stop Supernatural! I feel like this year the corner of the voting base that votes heavily for stuff like that and every single superhero show dried up a little.

Now, before we start this shorter-due-to-ties update, it's time for Best New Character of 2017! It was a tight race (because not a lot of people voted) but  the winner IS:

Xsen5vX.gif

Bob Newby (Stranger Things)! With a whole three votes!

1st runner-up: Dougie Jones (Twin Peaks) with two votes.

2nd runners-up: Nikki Swango (Fargo), Chip Pemberton (The Knick), Ralph Dibny (The Flash), Edmund "The Co-Ed Killer" Kemper (Mindhunter), Irving (Mr. Robot), Mindy St. Clair (The Good Place), Frank Truman (Twin Peaks), and Celeste Wright (Big Little Lies), all with one vote apiece.

but I think if more people would have voted Bob would've won anyway. Bob Newby's earned a win. Thanks to everyone who took part in this side-game and I'll probably be bringing it back next year. On to your regularly scheduled program.

ppT7quP.png

43 (tie). This Is Us (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

QTdwXfM.png

43 (tie). Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #24)

ksNrz0i.png

43 (tie). iZombie (18 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #29)

6QSadDL.png

42. Iron Fist (18 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: N/R)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: I am a lady and I’ve never said this to anybody in my entire life, but I’m gonna say it to you: you can go fuck yourself on the head.

Man, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and iZombie have really fallen from grace :( Those are still two can't miss shows for me, but 2017 certainly wasn't kind to them.

I honestly thought only TV critics watched This is Us :P 

Oh, and I guess Iron Fist had to show up, because, I guess.

11 minutes ago, joshCO! said:

I stopped when the yellowface came up and I got uncomfortable with the white woman playing a Native American.

I don't remember the yellowface. When was that? The white woman playing a Native American is played for how ridiculous it is, to be fair (unless you are talking about someone other than Jacqueline), but honestly they could drop Jacqueline and I wouldn't blink an eye anyway.

7 minutes ago, joshCO! said:

I only vaguely recall it now, but I seem to remember Titus doing something in the second season along the lines of performing a traditionally Asian bit. I may be misremembering by now.

I don't remember that at all. Could have happened but I have no memory of it.

I remember that. It was easily one of the weaker episodes for me, because I don't think it was something they needed to address and certainly not in that manner. The entire point of Krakowski's character being Native American is built on the absurdity of the idea, people (rightfully) had their issues with it, but going "ner ner here's a big middle finger to you people who had a problem last season" wasn't the way to address it.

7 hours ago, Katsuya said:

It's weird because I think UKS Season 3 was actually the best of the lot in terms of being a complete season. I don't know why it didn't quite get the same hype as it did before.

I think this is a Netflix thing that people are only going to gradually realize is a thing in the next couple years. There are so many Netflix shows and so many of them capture the zeitgeist for a month or so that older Netflix shows that aren't in the absolute top tier (Stranger Things, House of Cards) just eventually get forgotten about.

A perfect example is Orange is the New Black, which went from #15 on last year's list to not showing up on a single ballot this year.

EDIT: On UKS specifically, for me it was a combination of the fact that I've dropped a lot of admittedly funny sitcoms in the last year just because for whatever reason I don't feel like I need to watch a ton of them (other examples: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Last Man on Earth, Fresh Off the Boat), and also I've grown a bit weary of Tina Fey.