EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: The Results

GoGo Yubari

one more show than usual in this one as we get the last of the ties out of the way

ZDBMAKl.png

35 (tie). Vice Principals (24 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: #49)

LIcP5PB.png

35 (tie). Mindhunter (24 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

x6ukUyl.png

34. Feud (25 points, appeared on two ballots) (Last Year: NR)

jRMMmnq.png

33. My Hero Academia (25 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

tAAtSq6.png

32. Big Mouth (26 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

l2UAmE0.png

31. The Flash (26 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #8)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Frasier. Now, my homie says iconic and shit, even won a record 37 Primetime Emmys or whatever, so I started watching. Now I'm cool with suspending my disbelief or whatever, but this? Am I really supposed to believe a balding white dude from Seattle gets to smash that much?

• Like 3

Not a lot for me to say yet but I am terrible at watching Fargo, even though this season is actually the most I've watched. Really need to correct that soon.

Iron Fist sucked and not just because the rest of the Marvel stuff is at least competent. It's just not very compelling.

The Flash ended on a real bad note last season but so far Season 4 has been really refreshing. Hopefully it doesn't dovetail into the nonsense that plagued the previous season.

I am disappointed that the show listed in the quote for the next installment is not higher. Great quote choice though @GoGo Yubari.

Start showing how behind I was. 

Can't even remember if I'd watched it or not at the time of voting but I've seen all of Big Mouth now and its great. Absolutely disgusting and silly, but also clever in its own way.

Have Vice Principles ready to watch.

Just started Mindhunter. Based on the one complete episode I've seen its good.

Never seen The Flash outside of the first episode several years ago. I might go back to it at some point.

I binged Big Mouth in 2 nights. Only disliked one episode (Jay's pillow) and by the end I was getting kind of tired of the Puberty Monster, but all in all, I really enjoyed it. 

It's actually good. It's also very crass. I have to admit that I didn't think much of it from the short bits I'd seen either, but when I actually sat down and watched it I rather enjoyed it.

My Hero Academia, in spite of its creator being an insufferable perv, is the best shounen anime I've watched since Hunter x Hunter. Excellent cast of characters with an interesting world and some clever subversions on how you'd expect the story to go.

Mindhunter was good, if a bit dry and academic. As a delivery vehicle for obscure character actors absolutely going for it as various serial killers it was really effective.

The Flash had a bad season three and has improved to a perfectly watchable season 4. On to the next set.

vdzbUzd.jpg

30. South Park (28 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #37)

4aifyGf.png

29. Veep (28 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: #13)

n36tp7H.png

28. Last Week Tonight (29 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #22)

bi3iG0B.png

27. Mr. Robot (30 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #24)

qD0VVkE.png

26. Master of None (30 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: If being a pancake means saving my dad, then bring on the syrup!

Veep is still great fun but there was just so much better TV this year. 

Last Week Tonight is still Last Week Tonight, although it has become my dinner comedy show instead of the can't-miss show it used to be. 

I have no idea how to feel about Master of None after what came out about Aziz Ansari a couple of days ago. It was a great season of TV, but man, right now, fuck that guy.

South Park and Mr. Robot do not interest me in the slightest.

Catching up with my opinions because everybody doesn't care but I like talking about stuff but not adding any real depth :shifty:

Fargo was great, weakest season so far but still better than most TV. Would have made my cut if I had watched it before new year. Mary EW proving once again why she's one of the best actresses around in particular.

Discovery I'm still not sure on. I like it, but it doesn't particularly feel like "must see telly" yet. Jury's out.

Supernatural has been great for the last few years so it pleases me that it made it in. Interested to see where it goes next year because of

Spoiler

... the loss of one of Crowley as a regular :(

This is Us had a solid first season which I loved, but I'm honestly expecting a sophomore slump from it. There's only so many times they can go to certain wells before it gets tiring. Love Milo and Mandy though and if the show was just them and the young kids I would be much happier.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt had a weaker third season and a really abrupt ending. Still great fun though and "Boobs in California" is a banging tune.

Immortal Iron Fist was better than most give credit for, but definitely not without flaws and was not the story they should have started with. Really felt like they should have begun with an adaptation of "The Last Iron Fist Story".

iZombie continues to be great, and the dramatic stakes get increased. Really starting to love up to the hype I got given of it being a new Buffy.

The Americans makes it as always and is deserved, but definitely feels like the end is in sight now. Looking forward to finding out how the story closes.

Vice Principals is amazing, and is a perfect example of a show leaving you wanting more in all the right ways. Glad they stuck with ending it at two seasons as was always the plan. I could always do with more Walter Goggins on my TV though.

My Hero Akademia and Big Mouth are apparently two shows I will have to add to my watch list

South Park had an okay season, it waxes and wanes in quality and always will.

Veep was great but I'm starting to feel like it needs to look at closing the book soon or else risk becoming one of those shows.

Last Week Tonight has been unsurprisingly on the button since T-Day.

Spoiler

voqJvL.gif

Not seen the new season of Mr Robot, but it'll probably be the same quality it always is - consistently really good to the point of it being uncomfortable.

Master of None's second half of season one was not for me, so I went into S2 with low expectations and got let down in the first episode, so didn't continue. Since the most recent allegations that have come out over Aziz, I'm not sure I'll ever bother trying to force myself through it.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:11, Jimmy said:

oops, it has a very similar name to a film magazine I had a subscription to cos I'm filmy and artsy shit ugh how embarassing

This post has annoyed me now, because I'm convinced I know someone who works/worked for Little White Lies, and now I'm wracking my brain trying to think who.