EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: The Results

GoGo Yubari

1 minute ago, tristy said:

@Benji The upcoming season of Veep is the final season. I also agree with you about This Is Us. I don't know if you guys haven't gotten the new season yet, but it definitely is in a sophomore slump.

Oh cool, didn't know that. I'm sad cause I love the show even though I was tardy to the party, but last thing I want is for it to outstay its welcome.

Yeah, it's not aired at all over here yet. Are they still focusing on Kate and her weight constantly? Cause that was my biggest annoyance.

Veep had a great year. I’m still bummed that Julia Louis-Dreyfus got diagnosed with breast cancer. I don’t know what’s happened since then.

Last Week Tonight is still must-watch for me. Can’t wait for it to be back next month.

Master of None was alright. The Thanksgiving episode was stellar, but the rest fell into some old romance tropes that should have disappeared years ago. Now that his assault allegation has come out, it kinda makes more sense. I won’t be going forward with that one.

34 minutes ago, joshCO! said:

Veep had a great year. I’m still bummed that Julia Louis-Dreyfus got diagnosed with breast cancer. I don’t know what’s happened since then.

Not sure if this is what you mean but she recently finished chemo and celebrated by posting a video her sons made for her (which is super adorable):

• Like 3

Veep was good enough to get into my top 15, hard not to with that cast, but I'm glad it's coming to a close. The idea of a season focusing on the role of ex-Presidents was a good one but it very much felt like a show that was more or less ready to end.

Mr. Robot was phenomenal. I'm excited for what they've set up for season four and curious how much story there's left to tell.

five more now

UNiacBX.png

25. The Defenders (31 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

bN2wD0T.png

24. Steven Universe (32 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

qU0MEIv.png

23. Supergirl (35 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #16)

eZf7zCP.png

22. Santa Clarita Diet (36 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

m1rEh9M.png

21. The Leftovers (37 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Paul, it's important to bathe daily! I know you didn't expect to hear this from me, a deer swimming in a brook.

Spoiler

When it comes time for insurance, Paul, I want you to remember Hartford Fund!

Spoiler

At some point in your life you might have to resort to YouTube to finish your film, that is okay.

Spoiler

We're dogs! We're here to say we ruv you, Paul, we really ruv you!!

The Defenders was distinctly "okay". Disappointed that all that build wound up with a story that didn't really feel like it needed all four combining. Would not object to nor ask for a second series, but would watch if it happened.

Steven Universe placing pleases me. They're really starting to get deeper into the lore now, which makes me glad because a similar show - Adventure Time - has been traipsing around the edges of its own for too long and I was worried SU might wind up the same.

Supergirl is solid brainless TV having gotten over its early traditional superhero show hiccups.

Santa Clarita Diet was great, and whilst the finale of S1 felt more like a mid-season finale so I felt a little let down, I'm really excited for S2. Timothy Olyphant's comedy chops were a revelation.

The Leftovers third season was great as was the rest of the show, and not only ended well, but ended with a satisfying explanation (that you are left to choose whether you believe or not) for the big event, which I was under the impression we wouldn't get. Sad to see it go, but much like Vice Principals earlier, I am glad they stuck to their initial plan of "tell the story you have to tell and get out".

3 hours ago, Walker said:

Still behind on Steven Universe. Need to sort that soon. Its so fucking good.

Yes you do!

Well deserved placing. The music, the writing, and the art style are all fantastic for this show. I suggest everyone give it a try. Episodes are short (10 minutes), so easy to breeze through. Just be warned, the first...7-8 or so are trying to find their footing. But once you hit Giant Woman or Tiger Millionaire, you'll know if it's the show for you. 

I loved The Leftovers, especially season 3, and am glad it got this high on the strength of a few votes. Easily on the short list for my favorite shows of all time. The way it got its characters from Point A to Point Z was so satisfying and sooo fucking earned. It took these characters who were broken (with good reason), almost irreparably so, and got them to the point where by the end of it all, we could say that even if all their shit wasn't fixed, some sort of corner had been turned. The first season was bleak to the point that it got hard to watch, and even though the succeeding seasons never let go of the despair and anguish at the core of the show and its premise, the show was able to expand its emotional palette and show us the good, the joy, the sheer fucking hope that can come with trying to be resilient in an incredibly fucked up world. And it did this without sentiment or token attempts at making us feel nice and fuzzy inside.

This is incredibly corny, but The Leftovers is one of those pieces of pop culture that made me want to try harder to come to terms with my own shit, so yeah, definitely my number one show of the year haha. Also, it had some of the funniest, most surreal, most entertaining TV moments of the year (w/ scenes featuring the Wu Tang Clan, lion cult sex orgies, and spy adventure fantasy lands), and for my money, one of the best TV love stories of all time. Yeah, I really liked this show.

The top twenty! A pretty good one! Begins!

x4TXrbR.png

20. Legion (41 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

rioo8tj.png

19. The Great British Bake-Off (43 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

2rpzxf0.png

18. The Deuce (44 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

bIWTl0Y.png

17. Mystery Science Theater 3000 (45 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

SIPEviC.png

16. Silicon Valley (45 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: #19)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2017: Did you just namedrop Jesus Christ like you know a guy who knows a guy?

Legion making it is no suprise. Great and weird as hell show. Intrigued where it goes because I feel like I'll never be able to predict it.

The Deuce is on my "to watch" list once I am caught up with or drop (unlikely) The Gifted.

MST is a show I always feel like I should watch but never do. I feel like I'll probably like the idea of the show more than the show itself.

Silicon Valley is still decent, but the last season felt like a massive drop off and I'm surprised to see it so high. Hopefully it gets turned around soon.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

MST is a show I always feel like I should watch but never do. I feel like I'll probably like the idea of the show more than the show itself.

It's best to consider a collection of unique comic movies. Don't binge for sure.

Legion is a show I still need to see and look forward to it.

Only watched the first episode of The Deuce. Not sure if I'll return to it or not.

Obviously, I LOVE that MST3K made the list and the Top 20. It's just evergreen.

Silicon Valley is still good, but it started wearing on me. Dropping T.J. Miller can only be a good thing.

I'm so out of touch with TV that I haven't heard of most of these entries. I have started watching The Orville now so my list would be a whole 5 shows now or something.

I specifically chose not to vote for any shows which I hadn't seen the most recent season of but I echo Srar's appreciation for The Librarians.